Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

While fixing the Tie rods on my wifes car she grabbed my 06 GLS (109,XXX miles) and took it to class and a few other places around town. When she got home she stated that after taking the keys out of the ignition the car wouldn't turn off and she used the remote start to get the vehicle to shut down. I went out the next morning to check things out and immediately noticed I have a check engine light and my ESC ABS light was on as well. After a few questions she admitted that she nailed a speed bump fairly fast and heard a loud metal clanging, claimed she thinks she saw something in the street but didn't want to go back and check. :eek: *FACEPALM*

I took the car over to Pepboys and they pulled the following codes for me

P161B
P0504
P2106
P1295

Now I dug down and did a little research and want to just verify with the community if my findings are correct. P2106 ; P1295 are limp modes P0504 is the brake switch and P161B is failed throttle position sensor. Is this correct? Do i need to simply swap out my brake switch and Throttle sensor?

on a side note after having the check lights reset the ESC and ABS light comes on almost as soon as I leave any parking lot and hit a slight bump and I am noticing that making a turn under medium acceleration causes a high pitch whine / grinding noise from the belt line. I think this might be an unrelated issue of the power steering pump going bad

·
Registered
542 Posts
"She thinks she saw something in the street but didn't want to go back and check". Lmao... Now that's hilarious, hopefully it wasn't a body!
Good luck with the car hopefully someone here can help you out.
Sent from my SCH-I535

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I do think the harmonic might be the source of the whine... Just need to drag the car over the V33's house so he can help me with his air tools *hint hint*

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Hey Guys,

While fixing the Tie rods on my wifes car she grabbed my 06 GLS (109,XXX miles) and took it to class and a few other places around town. When she got home she stated that after taking the keys out of the ignition the car wouldn't turn off and she used the remote start to get the vehicle to shut down. I went out the next morning to check things out and immediately noticed I have a check engine light and my ESC ABS light was on as well. After a few questions she admitted that she nailed a speed bump fairly fast and heard a loud metal clanging, claimed she thinks she saw something in the street but didn't want to go back and check. :eek: *FACEPALM*

I took the car over to Pepboys and they pulled the following codes for me

P161B
P0504
P2106
P1295

Now I dug down and did a little research and want to just verify with the community if my findings are correct. P2106 ; P1295 are limp modes P0504 is the brake switch and P161B is failed throttle position sensor. Is this correct? Do i need to simply swap out my brake switch and Throttle sensor?

on a side note after having the check lights reset the ESC and ABS light comes on almost as soon as I leave any parking lot and hit a slight bump and I am noticing that making a turn under medium acceleration causes a high pitch whine / grinding noise from the belt line. I think this might be an unrelated issue of the power steering pump going bad
161B - 2106 - 1295 will get you a throttle position sensor replacement and PCM update as specified by Hyundai Motor Company

35107-3C100NFFF @ $33.50 + labor and GDS time for update

0504 is a brake light circuit code seen by PCM,, more commonly seen via the C1513 in the ABS/ESC module.. scan using GDS and complete fault code search should find 1513 in the ABS/ESC which will need to be erased when repair completed..

There is 110 recall for stop light switch, but Hyundai not include 2006 to the recall, they only doing 2007 and later.. might ask if they will use the "-3KRxx" stop light switch as replacement, rather than previous edition "-3K000" switch that they replacing with the "-3KRxx"..

Nothing hard about your repair, just getting the dealer to do the job correctly.. and this is not a job for the Pep Boyz,, see your local Hyundai dealer of choice for proper repair.

·
22,793 Posts
"She thinks she saw something in the street but didn't want to go back and check". Lmao... Now that's hilarious, hopefully it wasn't a body!
Good luck with the car hopefully someone here can help you out.
Sent from my SCH-I535
Like my friend's wife that saw the oil light flickering on and off on the dash. Thought she didn't needed to add any oil until the light got brighter! "Wives," they are a unique and special breed, aren't they? But don't try to match wits with them in the grocery or department store aisles. They'll clean your clock...in record time.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Like my friend's wife that saw the oil light flickering on and off on the dash. Thought she didn't needed to add any oil until the light got brighter! "Wives," they are a unique and special breed, aren't they? But don't try to match wits with them in the grocery or department store aisles. They'll clean your clock...in record time.
You can say that again. It's very rare to see me in a grocery store, "maybe" twice a year if my wife is sick. I end up standing in the middle of the store with a grocery list looking like a tourist in a foreign country asking for directions.

Sent from my SCH-I535

·
Registered
260 Posts
100% reason why my wife never drives my car and never will. Only drives it when I'm in it and we are traveling. Was in her little small car couple days ago and she completely scrubbed her tire against the curb and was like "just scuffed... No biggie". All I could do was imagine that being my car rims and about fainted. Lol

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
161B - 2106 - 1295 will get you a throttle position sensor replacement and PCM update as specified by Hyundai Motor Company

35107-3C100NFFF @ $33.50 + labor and GDS time for update

0504 is a brake light circuit code seen by PCM,, more commonly seen via the C1513 in the ABS/ESC module.. scan using GDS and complete fault code search should find 1513 in the ABS/ESC which will need to be erased when repair completed..

There is 110 recall for stop light switch, but Hyundai not include 2006 to the recall, they only doing 2007 and later.. might ask if they will use the "-3KRxx" stop light switch as replacement, rather than previous edition "-3K000" switch that they replacing with the "-3KRxx"..

Nothing hard about your repair, just getting the dealer to do the job correctly.. and this is not a job for the Pep Boyz,, see your local Hyundai dealer of choice for proper repair.
Ugh, I am not a fan of the dealerships here in Arizona. I have not gotten any software updates since 2007 when I bought the car; could this be part of the issue? Also I have the NSPP could this be playing an issue with my TPS?

I did do some troubleshooting on the stop light switch and noticed when the pedal is depressed I have no brake lights..... Such a wonderful thing to find out as I am leaving on my way to work. Also today The pedal is becoming spongy at times but not all the time!

·
22,793 Posts
You can say that again. It's very rare to see me in a grocery store, "maybe" twice a year if my wife is sick. I end up standing in the middle of the store with a grocery list looking like a tourist in a foreign country asking for directions.

Sent from my SCH-I535
I'm that other puzzled idiot you see at the other end of the store mirroring the same look as you! Grocery stores? Not on my Top 1,000 Favorite Things To Do list.

It's taken me a reasonable length of time to learn to "keep my mouth shut" while the wife is driving us in her car. It's either remain quiet, or tell the dentist how those front teeth became dislodged.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
I do not know what "NSPP" is..

If you still have old style TPS (Pics posted all over here in past),, you running a crap part to start with.

Hyundai states to install the new style and update PCM witih new updated program.. TSB issued 3+ year ago on how they state to repair car that shows up withthem codes.. not follow procedure, Hyundai not pay claim if it was warranty repair.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Ugh, I am not a fan of the dealerships here in Arizona. I have not gotten any software updates since 2007 when I bought the car; could this be part of the issue? Also I have the NSPP could this be playing an issue with my TPS?

I did do some troubleshooting on the stop light switch and noticed when the pedal is depressed I have no brake lights..... Such a wonderful thing to find out as I am leaving on my way to work. Also today The pedal is becoming spongy at times but not all the time!
Go to Camelback Hyundai-Kia at 27th ave and Camelback. That is who does all my warranty work on my 11 Sonata no questions asked and I didn't even buy the car from them. They have also replaced stuff for me that I didn't even ask about cause the tech recommended it. Call them and ask for Rickie, he is my service advisor and I always get free oil changes and car washes. I will never mess with any other Hyundai stealership in Phoenix. Good luck.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quick update, Swapped the brake switch out on Sunday night and the lights are no longer coming on, brake lights working again, and the pressure in my brake pedal has returned to normal. Now to get the throttle fixed and figure out my pulley situations.

Go to Camelback Hyundai-Kia at 27th ave and Camelback. That is who does all my warranty work on my 11 Sonata no questions asked and I didn't even buy the car from them. They have also replaced stuff for me that I didn't even ask about cause the tech recommended it. Call them and ask for Rickie, he is my service advisor and I always get free oil changes and car washes. I will never mess with any other Hyundai stealership in Phoenix. Good luck.
Thanks for the heads up I will take it there for the throttle body repair.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts