Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings all,

My first post on the forum, "Turbo Game Plan" went in a different direction than I anticipated when I posted it this past Sunday. I'm not sure any of my original questions were answered ... that's okay.

Let's see where this one goes ...

I had an interesting conversation this afternoon, I was visiting with a professional colleague. I mentioned to him about purchasing a Hyundai Sonata SE turbo later in the month.

• His first response, why would you want to purchase a car made in Korea?

• Second, he said maybe I could go to a junk yard and remove the branding from a Honda and place it on the Sonata.

How would you have responded to his two statements?

Kind regards,

Bill Siegrist

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
I would tell him that 1998 called, wondering where he is.

Nah, just kidding. I'd ignore him of course, and just enjoy the moment when all your other colleagues are crowded around your new Sonata. :grin:

·
Registered
295 Posts
Your co-worker is clearly ignorant. I would not value the opinion who thinks the Sonata is built in Korea. I work in a professional setting as well, a few colleagues have Sonatas as their commuter cars. The days of spending extra $$ for premium brands is gone, everyone is diverting $$ into their retirement plans. Doctors parking lot at my hospital is now full of Hyundai, Honda, Toyota, very few premium brands these days. I am also in the market for a new car, looking at the Sonata SE 2.0Tand Limited 2.0T. Leaning toward the Limited, though.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I would have told them to simply open an issue of consumer reports or any number of car enthusiast magazines in order to educate themselves on where Hyundai is because they were clearly living in the past.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The Korea question ... During my first Sonata turbo test drive a few weeks ago, the salesman mentioned the Sonata was built in Alabama. Up until then, I assumed the Sonata was built in Korea, which did not bother me at all.

Down a side road. I went to high school in Memphis, TN, back in the late 60's-early 70's. Based on what I remember about some of the "good ole boy's" I went to school with, I'm hoping they are NOT living in Montgomery, AL, working at the Hyundai plant.

For me, purchasing a Sonata built in Korea (probably a common misconception) seems good ... one being being in Alabama seems good.

The badging question ... help me out on this one. What is the motivation (benefit) of removing the Hyundai badge (name plate/logo) off of the rear trunk lid (or elsewhere)?

Asked a different way. What would motivation someone to remove the Hyundai badge?

Kind regards,

Bill Siegrist

·
Registered
655 Posts
QUOTE (blacksapphirez @ Dec 8 2010, 11:28 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=378139
just alabama ;)
what's your point ? no, Alabama, USA.
OP,
My business has me going to builders who make Firetrucks, rescue trucks, Crime scene vehicles, etc. all proudly made in the USA. These guys drive Fords and Chevys in the small towns in Central PA. I pull up in these small towns and take them to lunch in my car, previously a Chrysler 300. Soon they will see me in a Hyundai.
Reiterating this car is made in the USA does make me feel better, American workers, American Jobs....that's who I am.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Plasma George. I think we agree ... we are on the same page.

How about my other inquiry:

"The badging question ... help me out on this one. What is the motivation (benefit) of removing the Hyundai badge (name plate/logo) off of the rear trunk lid (or elsewhere)?

Asked a different way. What would motivation someone to remove the Hyundai badge?"

Any thoughts on that one?

Kind regards,

Bill Siegrist

·
Registered
290 Posts
The reason people de-badge their cars is almost always to make the car look "cleaner". Sometimes the badging takes away from the lines of the car. I had an infiniti g35 coupe which I de-badged purely for aesthetics. Its never because the owner feels ashamed of the car they are driving and it's certainly not to please other people.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks Vitty, I appreciate the education.

The next time I walk thru the Walmart near our home, I will check out the "badging" or lack of badging. De-badging, a new word for me.

Based on my two different test drives, the Sonata, has the cleanest lines of any car out on the road today.

Most folks are eager for December 25th to arrive ... my gift will hopefully be when I walk onto a Hyundai lot on December 29th!

Kind regards,

Bill Siegrist

·
Registered
655 Posts
I debadge all my cars. It messes with people, they can't figure out what kind of car it is. My wife has a Black 2008 Pathfinder SE. On the back gate I took off the PATHFINDER on the left side and the SE on the right. My chrysler 300, took off the 300 and TOURING on the trunk.

Here's the Sonata, I took off the SONATA and the LIMITED. It's cleaner, and I already had a Dad in Target parking lot doing double takes looking at it. I also take off the Dealers stickers and license plate frame.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
QUOTE (Plasma George @ Dec 9 2010, 02:27 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=378346
I debadge all my cars. It messes with people, they can't figure out what kind of car it is. My wife has a Black 2008 Pathfinder SE. On the back gate I took off the PATHFINDER on the left side and the SE on the right. My chrysler 300, took off the 300 and TOURING on the trunk.

Here's the Sonata, I took off the SONATA and the LIMITED. It's cleaner, and I already had a Dad in Target parking lot doing double takes looking at it. I also take off the Dealers stickers and license plate frame.
Good afternoon Plasma George,

"It messes with people,"

You are my kind of man!

Kind regards,

Bill Siegrist

·
Registered
945 Posts
Hi Bill,
Just in case there are any made in America die hards out there, this car is made in a new 1.3 billion dollar plant in Alabama. I'm a fleet mechanic for a rather large utility and I can tell you that our new Ford trucks have suspension parts made in Mexico. The parts in cars today are out sourced and made in countries all over the world. As far as the badge? I like the Hyundai badge, like it better than Honda and I think Toyota is the worst out there. With the new line of Hyundai's coming out this year you are going to see this company and it's products in high demand! They cold cocked the others and they are all realizing Hyundai is the one to beat. Aggressive styling, quality, fit and finish, and most of all performance at a great price! It's a winner all the way around! I absolutely love our Limited 2.0T with Nav!
-Al

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
QUOTE (DWPTECH @ Dec 9 2010, 09:21 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=378428
Hi Bill,
Just in case there are any made in America die hards out there, this car is made in a new 1.3 billion dollar plant in Alabama. I'm a fleet mechanic for a rather large utility and I can tell you that our new Ford trucks have suspension parts made in Mexico. The parts in cars today are out sourced and made in countries all over the world. As far as the badge? I like the Hyundai badge, like it better than Honda and I think Toyota is the worst out there. With the new line of Hyundai's coming out this year you are going to see this company and it's products in high demand! They cold cocked the others and they are all realizing Hyundai is the one to beat. Aggressive styling, quality, fit and finish, and most of all performance at a great price! It's a winner all the way around! I absolutely love our Limited 2.0T with Nav!
-Al
Greetings Al,

Over the years, I have bought seven (maybe eight??) Honda's for my wife and daughters. Maybe, I should say, we as a family have bought eight Honda's. The most recent, our youngest daughter bought an Accord.

The first one's were from across the seas, more current ones were made right here in the USA (Ohio?). We have been pleased with every one. The Hyundai Sonata turbo will be a new adventure for us. At 56, I still like adventure in small doses!

One more item ... we are in the valley of indecision" regarding: Limited 2.0T --vs-- SE 2.0T. What were the factors/benefits which swayed you to dig a bit deeper in your wallet and purchase the Limited 2.0T? I also welcome feedback from others, one of my favorite quotes is, "Indecision leads to mental illness." Between now and December 27th, we need to move out of the valley of indecision. Thanks for sharing your insights.

Kind regards,

Bill Siegrist

·
Registered
945 Posts
QUOTE (BillSiegrist @ Dec 10 2010, 03:26 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=378576
Greetings Al,

Over the years, I have bought seven (maybe eight??) Honda's for my wife and daughters. Maybe, I should say, we as a family have bought eight Honda's. The most recent, our youngest daughter bought an Accord.

The first one's were from across the seas, more current ones were made right here in the USA (Ohio?). We have been pleased with every one. The Hyundai Sonata turbo will be a new adventure for us. At 56, I still like adventure in small doses!

One more item ... we are in the valley of indecision" regarding: Limited 2.0T --vs-- SE 2.0T. What were the factors/benefits which swayed you to dig a bit deeper in your wallet and purchase the Limited 2.0T? I also welcome feedback from others, one of my favorite quotes is, "Indecision leads to mental illness." Between now and December 27th, we need to move out of the valley of indecision. Thanks for sharing your insights.

Kind regards,

Bill Siegrist
Hi Bill,
I'm not that far behind you at 53 and I'm still an ol Hot Rodder at heart with a 1963 Nova SS Big Block Chevy Pro Street Car. I love performance! My brother Jim Bell from the famed Kenne-Bell Performance Products introduced me to racing when I was just a little kid. We lived a few miles from Pomona Drag Strip and when I would come home from our day at the drags I would ride up and down the side walk on my tricycle making myself hoarse from trying to emulate the big sound of the dragsters. That must have been hilarious to watch! :grin: I have been around the performance industry most of my life and I like power. As a mechanic of 25 years working on everything from little Honda CNG's to Tractor Trailer Rigs and everything in between I have seen a lot of different product lines over the years mainly Chevrolet, Chrysler, and Ford. We are also on th eleading edge with the electric and Hybrid cars as well. Anyway, to make this short, Have you ever heard the phrase "It doesnt cost much more to go first class"? Well, that was my reasoning. My wife loves the Navigation cuz she cant find her way out of a paper bag :w00t: I say that in love :grin: and the only step up from the SE is the Limited and it isnt that much more. I figure if I'm gonna spend some big bucks on a car a couple thousand isnt gonna kill me and I like the extra stuff. The turbo is a must for me though, after driving both non turbo and turbo cars it was a no brainer and I say that with respect to others that didnt get the turbo only from my personal love for more power. I also like the way the Limited drives verses the SE, not that much different between the two but my wife liked it better and what makes her happy makes me happier! :grin: But again Bill it really depends on what you like. Obviously as you read posts here on the site peoples likes and dislikes are all over the map but I can tell you this, I LOVE THIS CAR! Cant take my eyes off of it! The White Pearl paint in the sun is spectacular! But those are he reasons why I went the way I did. When I buy something I have to be really excited about it and this car is a blast to drive! It's like when you are looking for something and all of a sudden your eyes get big and you say to yourself THATS IT! Thats the way I feel about this car and I love to wave it under the noses of the other types if you know what I mean! :grin: Let us know what you decide! :thumbsup: Here are some shots of the car

Oh, and here are a couple shots of the Nova

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
According to Wikipedia, "The Hyundai logo, a slanted, stylized 'H', symbolizes the company shaking hands with its customer. Hyundai translates from the word "modernity" ".

For years, many of us probably thought of the Hyundai logo as a Honda ripoff. But as Hyundai technology and design now surpasses that of Honda, it is fair to say that H is the new H.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts