Hyundai Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hate to say this, but if I lived in the US, I wouldn't be driving a Sonata. Don't get me wrong, I love my car, but I drive it because I can't afford a real luxury car (such as an LS460).

Here, such a car costs over 200 grand new, and even a 3-year-old 2007 model costs 90 grand, second hand.

But over there in the US, you can get a second hand LS460 for 30 grand! (maybe even less? Haven't really checked). So why on earth would you buy a Sonata Limited for nearly that price, over the LS460? Or Merc. S550?

·
Registered
817 Posts
Are you asking why would one pay $28,000 for any new car - Sonata, Camry, Altima, Accord, etc. - rather than buy a 3 year old LS?

Or, do you only think the Sonata is the wrong buy?

Just wondering.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
QUOTE (JohnWho @ Oct 1 2010, 08:39 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=360063
Are you asking why would one pay $28,000 for any new car - Sonata, Camry, Altima, Accord, etc. - rather than buy a 3 year old LS?

Or, do you only think the Sonata is the wrong buy?

Just wondering.

Any car (such as the ones you mention too).

·
Registered
817 Posts
Ah, then essentially you are asking why buy a new car when you can get a used car for less.

In my case, I wanted new even though I knew that I could save a lot of money and get one of the 2010 Sonatas that are still on the lots, or, as you point out, a slightly used car for less, too.

I believe the "money experts" will say that one should never buy a new car.

My money - I got what I wanted and I'm happy.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
QUOTE (JohnWho @ Oct 1 2010, 09:06 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=360067
Ah, then essentially you are asking why buy a new car when you can get a used car for less.

In my case, I wanted new even though I knew that I could save a lot of money and get one of the 2010 Sonatas that are still on the lots, or, as you point out, a slightly used car for less, too.

I believe the "money experts" will say that one should never buy a new car.

My money - I got what I wanted and I'm happy.
No, that's not what I'm asking. I'm asking why buy a new Sonata when you can buy a used vastly superior luxury car for the SAME price. Ok, so it's used, but any owner of an LS460 is going to be meticulous and it will "as new". I think the LS460 is one of the most gorgeous 4 door sedans currently available, along with the Sonata, of course... but given the choice of a V8, 8 speed auto, and rear wheel drive... c'mon? It's a no brainer really.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I'm not sure what your pricing is like over there... but old LS460's here are starting around 40G.
No where near sonata pricing range....

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
QUOTE (Davez621 @ Oct 1 2010, 10:15 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=360069
No, that's not what I'm asking. I'm asking why buy a new Sonata when you can buy a used vastly superior luxury car for the SAME price. Ok, so it's used, but any owner of an LS460 is going to be meticulous and it will "as new". I think the LS460 is one of the most gorgeous 4 door sedans currently available, along with the Sonata, of course... but given the choice of a V8, 8 speed auto, and rear wheel drive... c'mon? It's a no brainer really.
No, its not a no brainer. Just because you purchase XXX luxury car does not mean in any manner that it has been maintained. V8 does not equate to fuel economy. Only thing I like about the above statement is that its RWD.

And a current base price of 65,380 for the "el cheapo" model, I HIGHLY doubt you are going to break 40 for quite a few more years.

·
Registered
57 Posts
QUOTE (Davez621 @ Oct 1 2010, 10:15 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=360069
Well, there's more to car ownership than the initial cost. Have you ever priced maintenance on a MB S500? A brake job on that car will run WELL over $500. A tune up will run over $1,000. So, I think your question is very short sighted. The cost on a comparable Lexus might be a tad cheaper than a Benz but the cost would be much more than a sonata.

·
Registered
717 Posts
I bought new because I had to. Company puts rules on what cars I can buy and I am on a 4 yr 120,000 cycle. They pay me to drive but I do have to follow there guidelines. So I can not have a car more then 4 yrs old or have more then 120,000 miles. So new is what I get and will continue to get with this company program.

·
Registered
678 Posts
There are so many reasons why people choose to by a new sonata rathern than an old lexus even if it is luxury.

Brand new = you are the first owner, you can trust that the car has not been mistreated or skipped on maintenance.
Warranty = Full warranty vs. limited warranty or none. It's a no brainer.
Style = People buy the sonata not just because they couldn't afford a luxury vehicle. They buy it because they like the looks and sleek styling.
Price point = If you are going to spend close to 30 grand, why spend it on a used car?
Fresh start = new car means new unused parts especially mechanical parts.

New cars also = Low miles...unless the used car you are getting was stored in the garage and hardly used.
For me, I will take a new car over any used luxury.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I had this very same debate. Buy a new Sonata or used BMW/Mercedes.

Why am I going with a Sonata? A number of reasons. A big one is warranty/reliability. WHen spending close to $30k (getting a loaded Turbo) I want protection.

There is no shortage of mid level luxury cars where I live, but the idea that these owners take better care of their cars is laughable. People treat nice cars the same way they treat bad cars. I've seen newer BMW 750s that were trashed and old Kia's that look mint.

It's all about the owner, not the car. And the only way to protect yourself from mechanical costs/issues is with a warranty. And Hyundai offers the best in the business.

·
Registered
7 Posts
QUOTE (Fish8 @ Oct 1 2010, 10:08 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=360082
Well, there's more to car ownership than the initial cost. Have you ever priced maintenance on a MB S500? A brake job on that car will run WELL over $500. A tune up will run over $1,000. So, I think your question is very short sighted. The cost on a comparable Lexus might be a tad cheaper than a Benz but the cost would be much more than a sonata.
I'm in the same boat. Even if I wasn't though, the total cost of driving a 3 year old luxury cost (factoring maintainance, fuel, insurance, etc.) would definitely be higher.

·
Registered
589 Posts
First of all, do your research right: Only place you're going to find an LS460 for $26K is in the junk yard. For that money, you're looking at an '04 LS430 with 40K+ miles. I bought one of those for my wife (new) and it's ugly as sin. Much rather be driving the Sonata than a 7 year-old used car, but I have nobody to impress :grin:. You have some issues, my friend. Buy what you can afford, and be happy with it. The day you can afford a new one, then buy it if that makes you happy. But as a previous owner I can tell you they're not worth it man. Nowadays I only have one nice sports car, and both my wife and myself drive efficient cars (a Honda and my Hyundai) every day; nothing wrong with that. And I love cars, but can't justify nice ones anymore.

·
Registered
486 Posts
....>>>Why Would You Drive A Sonata When You Could Get A 3-year-old Ls460?>>>>>>

...Short answer....Because I can and choose too. Cost is a bonus, not much of a factor.

An old 04 car has the same new technology? Sorry, DON'T like what your peddling'. Shouldn't this be posted in your wish list site, then you could get all those, that'a boys , great idea from the three members there.
I just don't get it,....All the in your face, you bought the wrong car posts and threads being posted. .. If this is not the car for you....OK.. fine, I understand.......

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I saw LS460s for 33 grand on eBay. Perfect condition, from reputable dealers (seemingly - their ratings were good).

In any case, this is less than I paid for my Sonata. My car cost 38 grand, so like I said, if I lived in the US, there's no way I'd "settle" for a Sonata.

·
Registered
46 Posts
QUOTE (Davez621 @ Oct 1 2010, 11:54 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=360125
I saw LS460s for 33 grand on eBay. Perfect condition, from reputable dealers (seemingly - their ratings were good).

In any case, this is less than I paid for my Sonata. My car cost 38 grand, so like I said, if I lived in the US, there's no way I'd "settle" for a Sonata.
a sonata is not meant to be a luxury car, its a family sedan,
if you really dont like what you paid for, then just sell it.
no need to get on the forum and start talking about "well i bought my car for this price when i could of bought that car for this price"
love what you have

·
Registered
623 Posts
Many points already brought up.

Just because you can afford a luxury car does not mean you can afford the luxury car lifestyle.

Oh, and checking my area 3-4 year old LS460s are going for min $49k with decent mileage.

There are two high mileage (78k and 86k) ones for $45k, but one would be on crack buying one of those.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Why buy a Genesis (or Sonata) when I can buy an used 2005 Bentley Continental GT for $76k? Same retarded question...

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
QUOTE (Ayces @ Oct 1 2010, 01:14 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=360131
Why buy a Genesis (or Sonata) when I can buy an used 2005 Bentley Continental GT for $76k? Same retarded question...
I also think its a case of *ahem* envy. I see a lot of people worrying about "measuring up" to other brands. Why would you not lease a Genesis instead of an LS?

Some people like the car and are totally happy with it. Other seems to have jumped a bit early and are unhappy. Others seem to have bought under the influence expecting a whole different class of car.

If a person needs to see Lexus, Acura, BMW, Mercedes...whatever on the back of the car then go buy it.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.