Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks....

Proud owner of an '06 Hyundai Accent GLS. Every now and then when I go to start my car I will get a clicking sound and the engine refuses to turn. The CD display is on, so obviously there's some power flowing to the car but not enough to turn the engine.

This problem just started recently. I bought a battery charger, and that seems to do the trick whenever the problem occurs (and no I'm not leaving any lights on thereby draining the battery).
Judging by the fact that the battery charger seems to do the trick, I'm assuming it's a battery issue but please correct me if I'm wrong. :grin:

If it is in fact a battery issue, I've been considering replacing it with the Motomaster Eliminator Spiral Grid Battery.

I'd just like to find out if this battery's dimensions will fit inside an '06 Hyundai Accent.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
although if the alternator has gone bad, wouldnt the car start to lose electrical functions while driving?

thats what happened when it I lost an alternator on my old truck......lights dimmed, trans stopped shifting, radio cut out, all while driving and motor eventually shut off....

I reread your post and think you mean some possible bad connection between the functioning alternator and the battery. my bad.

·
3,736 Posts
If you're still on the original battery on your 2006 you're doing well. Mine had to be replaced in 2007.  To put it bluntly, the batteries that come in these cars from the factory are absolute crap.  

I'd say your alternator is fine, the battery is just getting weak. Mine was charging OK but once you shut off the engine within a couple of minutes of having a load like the lights or radio, it only had enough juice left to make the starter go click.  The dealer replaced it with a Hyundai-branded (mfg by Interstate) 500 cca - 40 cca smaller than the OEM but it's been a fine battery, no problems since.

·
Registered
78 Posts
You need a new battery. Ours on our 06' only lasted till May of 08'. Exact same problem as you. Apparently its a known issue with the Hyundai Battery, or whoever their supplier was then. Dealer replaced under warranty.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I went out to my car today and the key-less remote didn't work. I opened the door and the interior lights didn't come one. So, I measured the battery voltage, and it measured 1.8 Volts ! :w00t:

I only put 1,500 miles on the car in the last year (yes one-thousand-five-hundred) so I suppose the battery doesn't get charged enough. It sits there for weeks at a time.

I'm charging the battery right now, so we will see if the battery can still hold a charge. I'm still wondering if the battery is faulty, or if I just don't drive enough. Any thoughts?

-Gary

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
You can try charging it, but it's already almost four years old. I'd just go out and get a new battery. Buy a Walmart battery, they're cheap and they're top rated by Consumer Reports. Free installation.

·
3,736 Posts
Infrequent driving does take its toll on the battery.  As the car sits, battery is being slowly being weakened by the various electronic bits -- and if you don't drive far once you do get it out on the road, the alternator doesn't have much of a chance to charge it up.  I ran into this with my first car (bought it 2 years before I could even drive, so it sat around all the time.)  My folks put maybe 1,000 miles on it in those couple of years, so it didn't get driven much.  Plus I was always tinkering with the thing, so I had to keep it on a battery charger with some frequency.

On the Accent, if you're going to leave it sitting for an extended period of time you can always pull the yellow "power connector" out of the IP fuse block. You'll lose the parasitic drain from some components but will also lose your clock, trip odometer, radio memory, and keyless entry/alarm.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Go buy an Optima Yellow top Battery. So what its close to 200 to 300$. They are really the best, A buddy of mine uses them in his race and demo cars. They are a dry cell battery and hold there charge GREAT. The guy forgets his lights on all the time on his truck(couple hours at a time) and it will still turn over his big 350 lol

·
Registered
13 Posts
My fault: I charged the battery (it took about 30 hours at 2 amps using my Triton R/C battery charger!) and installed it back int the car. Right away, the horn started honking, and I figured out that you have the press the door lock button on the remote to stop it. Well, at least that is what worked for me. Anyway, when I was all done, I locked the doors and I noticed that the map (interior) light was on. I must have left it on a week ago and that light is what drained the battery. It's hard to see the light through the slightly tinted windows.

So, make sure you turn off your interior lights!

--Gary

·
1,565 Posts
Sometimes when I'm reaching from the drivers seat to the back to grab something, I will hit the dome light switch and not notice. That's how I had to replace my first battery.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all the replies peeps! I FINALLY decided to get off my lazy butt and take it into the dealer (only because there was a recall issue regarding a "stop lamp" I had to take care of).

They ran a free diagnostic test on the system, and he advised what some of you have already posted. Because I'm a low/mild driver (my 2006 Accent only has 46000 km's on it) it is taking it's toll on the battery. He advised me to replace it if it continues to be a problem. No mention though of them replacing it "under warranty". Although, I do share the same sentiments as hossieraccent and feel that .."the batteries that come in these cars from the factory are absolute crap." (I couldn't have put it better myself), so I don't think I'd want to replace it with another piece of crap anyways.

I've been looking at Canadian Tires Eliminator. I hear it's an amazing battery for our Canadian winters. Any experienced Eliminator users out there? :grin:

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
I've been looking at Canadian Tires Eliminator. I hear it's an amazing battery for our Canadian winters. Any experienced Eliminator users out there? :grin:
[/quote]
I had Eliminator in my last car and got eight years out of it !

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
QUOTE (ausom accent 9 @ Sep 11 2009, 04:28 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=262827

I had Eliminator in my last car and got eight years out of it !
Thank you so much for your help bro! I was worried about how it would stand up to our winters.

I just hope it'll fit in my stock 2006 Accent.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
my foglight under the dash light speakers amps are killing my battery

1 - 19 of 19 Posts