Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While looking for a 2018 Tucson Sport, I've discovered that Santa Fe Sport 2018 (2.4L trim) can be found up to $1k cheaper than Tucson Sport, or at a comparable (maybe very slightly higher) price if the "Group 2" option is present.

I naturally asked myself: "Why?"

I've found a few answers myself, but I wonder if I am missing something in the comparison of Santa Fe Sport (2.4L) vs Tucson Sport (both 2018).

So, here is what I've found so far (listed on the negative side of the difference):

Santa Fe Sport:
1. "base" configuration comes a bit more stripped down.

Group-2 option compensates for some those options but not all. But if you don't care that much, that might not be important. Cross-traffic alert seems to be useful, although I haven't tried it myself, so, I don't how well that works.

2. Its fuel economy (MPG) is a bit worse.
3. It is a bit larger (that's a pro and a con: roomier inside, but bulkier outside, e.g. when it comes to parking in tight spots, slightly larger turning radius, etc.).

4, Somewhat worse passenger safety rating. (according to the window sticker).

Tucson Sport:
1. It's a bit smaller inside, especially in the back seat and in the trunk.

2. Large size tires (19" vs 17"), hence more expensive replacement tires.
3. IIRC, it doesn't have the air vents for the back seats. (Does it?)

Am I missing something?
Are any of these difference not as drastic/important, e.g. the difference in MPG in the real-world driving scenarios?

·
Registered
92 Posts
I wondered the same thing when we were shopping for a new 2018 SUV. We test drove several brands, then stopped by the Hyundai dealer and looked at the new Tucson and Santa Fe Sport. After trying the Tuscon, we gave the Santa Fe Sport a try....more room inside and was surprised at the lower price.

We were sold on the Santa Fe Sport. We thought it offered the most features and value for $19,299. Only options were door edge guards, pin stripes, (we had them both removed) cargo mat, floor mats, wheel locks, rear bumper guard, and mud flaps.

·
Registered
3,730 Posts
You compared the base of one to one with features on the other. Guess it depends on what is important to you. Options or not.

Push button ignition, power liftgate, the 19s, etc add to the price.

·
Registered
441 Posts
You compared the base of one to one with features on the other. Guess it depends on what is important to you. Options or not.

Agree - the listed "shopping" was not an apples-to-apples comparison.

There is roughly a $2,500 - $3,500 higher price on the 2018 Santa Fe Sport vs. the 2018 Tucson.

That price gap is sometimes narrowed by dealer incentives, especially on the Santa Fe Sport this time of year (model year end).

Like you did...we determined the added roominess/size of the Santa Fe Sport made it more desirable in our scenario here...but we liked both.

·
Registered
92 Posts

There is roughly a $2,500 - $3,500 higher price on the 2018 Santa Fe Sport vs. the 2018 Tucson.

That price gap is sometimes narrowed by dealer incentives, especially on the Santa Fe Sport this time of year (model year end).

Like you did...we determined the added roominess/size of the Santa Fe Sport made it more desirable in our scenario here...but we liked both.

In my case, I was comparing a basic Tucson to a basic Santa Fe Sport. The SFS had a Hyundai $3,500 discount plus a $3,596 dealer discount which brought the SFS in at a lower price with no trade-in and cash purchase.

Going by your numbers, I should have been able to purchase a new 2018 Tucson for $16,700...$2,500 less than my Santa Fe Sport price.
I still like the Tucson, I might even trade the SFS in for one in a couple of years.

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
2018 SFS is a "dead model" they have to clear out the inventory for the "all new" 2019 Sante Fe .

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Going by your numbers, I should have been able to purchase a new 2018 Tucson for $16,700...$2,500 less than my Santa Fe Sport price.
I still like the Tucson, I might even trade the SFS in for one in a couple of years.

Ghm... That tells me that you've got a new 2018 SFS for about $19.2k. Is that right?
The best I am able to get right now (with the $2.5k rebate and some dealer's discounts) is around $21.5k, maybe 21.3k for Tucson and close to $21k for SFS-2018.

I wonder if the deals are not as good right now, the car market went up, or it's just me not negotiating the right way...

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

The priority in my comparison was the engine: 2.4 L in both cases. The base Tucson model is running on a 2.0L one.
To me, that was the first priority.
Once that parameter is comparable, I started comparing the rest, and came up with the list of difference that I've posted.
Thanks to everybody who responded, adding a few points to that.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Ghm... That tells me that you've got a new 2018 SFS for about $19.2k. Is that right?
The best I am able to get right now (with the $2.5k rebate and some dealer's discounts) is around $21.5k, maybe 21.3k for Tucson and close to $21k for SFS-2018.

I wonder if the deals are not as good right now, the car market went up, or it's just me not negotiating the right way...

I thought for sure that we would be purchasing a new Toyota RAV4 or a Honda CRV, since they were recommended to us by friends. After taking them for a test drive along with the VW Tiguan, KIA Sportage and Sorrento, and the Nissan Rogue, we decided to test drive the Hyundai Tucson and Santa Fe Sport. I'm glad we did. We liked the size, comfort, performance and ride of the Santa Fe Sport.
The list price was $26,395 plus some dealer add-ons, door edge guards, floor mats, cargo mat, rear bumper protection, wheel locks, pin stripes, and mud flaps, which brought the dealer's price to $28K plus, which I ignored.

The new 2018 SFS in the color combination we wanted was advertised on their website for $19,299 with good discounts, so I called a salesman on a Saturday afternoon back on March 31st and picked it up on the following Monday. For us it's just basic transportation around town. We've had it for 5 months and it has just over 325 miles to date.

If you are looking at the more expensive model with the Option 02 Group Package, then expect to pay around $21,500.
Good luck.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts