Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My local dealer has 15 leftover new 2013 Genesis sedans for $26,399 to $26,999. These all carry an MSRP in the $35,xxx range. These are for real prices because this is a no-haggle dealer and we have bought from them and their advertised price is what you pay. Why is the Genesis being sold so cheaply and why haven't they been all sold at this price? Is there something about the 2013 Genesis that I am not aware of? I am actually in the market for an Azera, but find it strange that the leftover Genesis's are being sold for less than the leftover Azeras.

·
Registered
542 Posts
That is very odd. I could see a big price drop on the coupes but not the sedans. The sedan gets a very high rating and is recommended by Consumer Reports but the coupes made Consumer Reports top 10 least reliable car list. Definitely a great price on the sedans I'd take one for that price if i was in the market.

Sent from my SCH-I535

·
Registered
153 Posts
I tried to find a '12-'13 used Azera for about 3 months. The prices I found seemed high.
So I checked Genesis expecting even higher prices. They were priced $1000's lower than Azera. Ended up with a '12 Tech package w/15000 miles. $23k. I thought it was a bargain for what I got. Much better equipped than the Azera. Love it so far.

·
Registered
213 Posts
First generation model, need clear old inventory. Probalbly factory to dealer $$ to make it attractive to buyers.

·
Registered
73 Posts
First generation model, need clear old inventory. Probalbly factory to dealer $$ to make it attractive to buyers.
What I was thinking. The Genesis is due for a replacement and they're clearing inventory.

Regarding 2013 pricing it's actually pretty reasonable at the nearby Hyundai dealer. That being said, as usual they advertise a ridiculously low price that's only applicable on some base model that they don't even have readily available on the lot.

·
Registered
2020 Santa Fe SEL Plus
2,225 Posts
My local dealer has 15 leftover new 2013 Genesis sedans for $26,399 to $26,999. These all carry an MSRP in the $35,xxx range. These are for real prices because this is a no-haggle dealer and we have bought from them and their advertised price is what you pay. Why is the Genesis being sold so cheaply and why haven't they been all sold at this price? Is there something about the 2013 Genesis that I am not aware of? I am actually in the market for an Azera, but find it strange that the leftover Genesis's are being sold for less than the leftover Azeras.
Has to be clearance prices. There are no problems with these vehicles that I know of. I would imagine these are the "base" models without nav or sunroof. Those will push the price up to over $40K.

If you like it, go for it. You can hardly go wrong at that price.

The market is slow right now from what I am hearing. Probably a very good time to buy.

Make sure that you don't get stuck with a bunch of junk charges and extended warranty. Let us know the actual price that you would pay.

Just my off the top of the head opinion. The latest numbers of Hyundai/Kias sold softened quite a bit and they want to maintain market share. And I think their incentives didn't quite match the giveaway prices of some other makes and models. These are undoubtedly loss-leader prices and they are losing money on these cars. The dealers are getting huge incentives.

But I would take advantage of the prices unless you think the companies are going out of business which I doubt.

I also think the supply of Azeras is limited which goes to the old law of supply and demand. That's why they aren't coming down that much.

P.S. If you have deeper pockets, consider the Equus. You can get $10K off one of those right now. That is one sweet ride.

·
Registered
2020 Santa Fe SEL Plus
2,225 Posts
I stopped by the local dealer today and wanted to inquire about this matter but they were covered up so I didn't have that opportunity.

I would wonder if the advertised price might have included some fine print that would be relevant. Were you given an actual cash price such as you could walk in and buy it for that price? What about documentation fees, license fees, etc."

I'm always a little skeptical of deals that sound too good to be true. I can get to the bottom of this when I can talk to the salesman candidly. But I do need to know if this is an actual price.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I would wonder if the advertised price might have included some fine print that would be relevant. Were you given an actual cash price such as you could walk in and buy it for that price? What about documentation fees, license fees, etc."

I'm always a little skeptical of deals that sound too good to be true. I can get to the bottom of this when I can talk to the salesman candidly. But I do need to know if this is an actual price.
I have bought from this dealer before and their advertised price is after all incentives anyone can qualify for, but before tax, license and a $699 dealer processing fee. Their price does not include another $1,500 you could get through the Owner Loyalty Rebate if you currently own a Hyundai. They are very upfront about their prices and disclose everything on their website. You cannot haggle for a lower price, but their price is lower than the dealers that do negotiate. The only negotiation is for your trade-in, but they are very transparent in how they arrive at their trade-in offer, showing you local auction and retail prices and how much they need to make on each trade. There are no dealer add-ons, like Scotchguarding, rustproofing, etching, etc. In my experience, this is a nice dealer to buy a car from. Hopefully, you have a similar dealer in your city.

Here is their current Genesis inventory and prices: http://www.hollerhyundai.com/new-in...ius=false&showSubmit=true&showSelections=true

·
Registered
2020 Santa Fe SEL Plus
2,225 Posts
I have bought from this dealer before and their advertised price is after all incentives anyone can qualify for, but before tax, license and a $699 dealer processing fee. Their price does not include another $1,500 you could get through the Owner Loyalty Rebate if you currently own a Hyundai. They are very upfront about their prices and disclose everything on their website. You cannot haggle for a lower price, but their price is lower than the dealers that do negotiate. The only negotiation is for your trade-in, but they are very transparent in how they arrive at their trade-in offer, showing you local auction and retail prices and how much they need to make on each trade. There are no dealer add-ons, like Scotchguarding, rustproofing, etching, etc. In my experience, this is a nice dealer to buy a car from. Hopefully, you have a similar dealer in your city.

Here is their current Genesis inventory and prices: New 2013 & 2014 Hyundai Cars Dealership in Orlando, FL | Hyundai Sonata, Genesis, Elantra, Accent, Veloster | Coupe, Sport, Hybrid | Serving Winter Park, Altamonte Springs, Maitland & Melbourne
Quick question:

What is a "dealer processing fee?" The local dealer charges $1.

I guess what I am asking is the following. You walk into the dealership and present them the advertisement where they will sell the aforementioned vehicle for $26,399. When they write up the contract to buy, what do you actually pay (assume you have cash and there is no financing to be concerned with.)?

Stated differently, (an example) if Wal-Mart advertises a television for $599.00, I go into the store and walk out the door and the price is $599.00 plus sales taxes. So I might pay $650 total. There is no "documentation" fee for Wal-Mart to check me out. I merely pay the advertised price and the sales tax and load it into my car and go home. So what will you actually pay as you drive the vehicle off the dealer's lot?

I'm more than a little interested because these prices are extremely competitive and I would like to explore them myself.

I'm looking at the website it says this:

"Dealer Document Processing Fee of $699 -- this charge represents cost and profit to the dealer for items such as inspections, cleaning, and adjusting vehicles and preparing documents related to the sale."

This is not a reasonable fee in my view. The dealer is expected to do this anyway. As I see this, one would need to add this to the "smart price."

Locally, we have some dealers who have a "bump" sticker affixed next to the MRSP adding such things as nitrogen in the tires and other gimmicks. When they arrive at the local dealer as a dealer trade, those bump stickers are ignored.

I just priced a similar car at that website to my current Sonata. Adding that to the price as mine is equipped comes up with a total cost of $23,948 which is about what I paid for my 2013 Sonata similarly equipped.

I'm wondering about other hidden costs as well.

(Sorry about the italics, but for some reason I can't turn it off.)

·
Registered
2020 Santa Fe SEL Plus
2,225 Posts
I just checked TrueCar and it is showing a price of $28,461 for your zip code. That is a better price than here where I live. Based on that, if there aren't other land mines out there, you can't go too far wrong. I do believe however that that $699 add-on is rather ridiculous.

The TrueCar price is shown on the base vehicle with an MRSP of $35,095. So adjust your price accordingly.

http://www.truecar.com/prices-new/hyundai/genesis-pricing/

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quick question: What is a "dealer processing fee?"
The dealer processing fee is simply the profit the dealer adds, regardless of the other things they say it covers since those things are part of being a dealer. It is a very common practice at many local dealers. When I bought a new Mitsubishi Galant in 1986, it was $300. When I bought my 1999 Mitsubishi in 1998, it was $400. The recent going rate at the local dealers is $600-800, regardless of make.

All of this came about years ago when the average customer was able to obtain dealer invoice information and dealers had to find another way to make money. The early buying services (AutoVantage, AutoByTel, etc.) would arrange deals that were typically $500 over dealer invoice. Dealers finally followed suit by advertising cars for invoice and tacking a "dealer fee" on the deal. It used to be negotiable, but the dealers that offer the no-haggle low prices also offer no-haggle dealer fees.

I don't have a problem with this as long as the bottom line is the best deal for me. When we bought my wife's Santa Fe, we shopped three local dealers and got quotes through TrueCar and AAA. The best deal we could get when you looked at the bottom line was still the one from Holler Hyundai which was over $1,000 less than the next best bottom line price.

What I do have a problem with are those dealers that do not disclose the dealer fee in their advertising, or who advertise low prices and in the fine print say "after $3,000 cash or trade equity". We have plenty of those types, too.

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
The 2013 model is now basically TWO years old with the 2015 s due in the showroom in a few months. Don't forget the 2014s (same design) are also in stock now so no way they can sell the 13s without that huge discount.

·
22,793 Posts
I just checked TrueCar and it is showing a price of $28,461 for your zip code. That is a better price than here where I live. Based on that, if there aren't other land mines out there, you can't go too far wrong. I do believe however that that $699 add-on is rather ridiculous.

The TrueCar price is shown on the base vehicle with an MRSP of $35,095. So adjust your price accordingly.

http://www.truecar.com/prices-new/hyundai/genesis-pricing/
http://www.truecar.com/prices-new/hyundai/genesis-pricing/[/QUOTE
Just did a quick check on a Gen Coupe. The price was "very, very, EXTREMELY attractive." :eek: So much so that I am not coming back to this thread. Not for a while, anyway. Bye, guys!
:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all, new to the forum. I picked up a 2013 Genesis 3.8 sedan with Premium package at a dealer in Fremont (CA) for just under $31,700 (includes about $250 in accessories, which I probably would have bought anyway). There may be better deals out there now, but if you're interested you should start looking for the color/options that you want. I doubt the dealers are taking on more cars.

The dealer advertised some loss leaders and ended up selling me a Premium package car at the LL price with a small discount to list on the option. Lots of factory-dealer incentives plus a factory-customer incentive of $2500 that I signed over.

Good hunting. If I were doing it now, I'd be very, very aggressive and negotiate for a loaded 3.8 for around $33,500. I think that deal is out there.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Bought my '13 base model with less than 15K on it, in MINT condition, for $20,418... There are great deals out there on the 13's still - I am one of those guys that drives a car for 7-8 years and 140-150K miles, so it being a year out of date is not a major concern...

·
Registered
47 Posts
They are being listed online at $10,000 below MSRP in KC. Don't know how much negotiating room there is below that price.

·
Banned
532 Posts
The dealer processing fee is simply the profit the dealer adds, regardless of the other things they say it covers since those things are part of being a dealer. It is a very common practice at many local dealers. When I bought a new Mitsubishi Galant in 1986, it was $300. When I bought my 1999 Mitsubishi in 1998, it was $400. The recent going rate at the local dealers is $600-800, regardless of make.
About 10-15 years ago in Illinois we had the same thing, outrageous doc fee's magically showing up at closings, some were different in the same dealership based on gender i.e. profiling.

The AG filed suit against the IL trade association charging collusion. However, prior to it going to court and following (ahem) donations to politicians legislation was crafted for a set fee adjusted each year on the CPI, they also cannot charge more than the DMV/SoS fee's for plate's, transfer's or title. Our Doc. fee in November of "13 was $161.39, I believe the first year fee was around $115.00.

It reminds me when they charged a "regional advertising fee" up here. They explained it, I said remove it; "I don't have a TV and don't get the paper, didn't see your ad and don't look at billboards". They said; "No way it's a regional fee and we don't get any of it". I got about 3/4's of the way to my car .......... and, well you know the rest of the story.

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
About 10-15 years ago in Illinois we had the same thing, outrageous doc fee's magically showing up at closings, some were different in the same dealership based on gender i.e. profiling.

The AG filed suit against the IL trade association charging collusion. However, prior to it going to court and following (ahem) donations to politicians legislation was crafted for a set fee adjusted each year on the CPI, they also cannot charge more than the DMV/SoS fee's for plate's, transfer's or title. Our Doc. fee in November of "13 was $161.39, I believe the first year fee was around $115.00.

It reminds me when they charged a "regional advertising fee" up here. They explained it, I said remove it; "I don't have a TV and don't get the paper, didn't see your ad and don't look at billboards". They said; "No way it's a regional fee and we don't get any of it". I got about 3/4's of the way to my car .......... and, well you know the rest of the story.
Similar to the window etching scam many dealers try.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Quick question:

What is a "dealer processing fee?" The local dealer charges $1.
It is a guaranteed profit, nothing else. In my market it is universally $499 and every dealer will tell you it is not negotiable. The last time I talked with my sales guy he told me they are charged the same even as an employee purchase.

"Delivery processing" is nothing more at most dealers than washing and fluffing out the mats. Sometimes, of course, the dealer adds pinstripes, paint "protector", window tinting etc. but they usually itemize those and charge separately.

I really don't care what they call it. I just figure it into the bottom line price and go from there.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts