Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys n girls

Im currently in the market for a car -the first car that i've ever purchased for myself as well! I get all the features and what not of the i30 but take away all the features of the car and why did you buy it?

Was there something special about it or did you really just go on the "yeah that has all the features" - i guess im talking about before you test drive it and what not. I've been reading over this forum and others and im impressed as i was actually thinking the corolla and hadn't even thought of the i30 as i always thought of them as cheaply made but i guess from reports they are not?

Anyway im just looking for a more emotional connection i guess you know rather than just specs and features.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Well put it this way: Here in the UK, a new VW Golf loaded with the same amount of extras and detailed touches would have cost 50% more. And come with only a 1 or max 2 year warranty instead of 5. I guess in OZ the situation is similar.

·
Registered
60 Posts
In UK too. We bought the i30 (a "2011 spec" Comfort CRDi automatic) as it was a decent drive, good package (spec, price, warranty) for a diesel with a traditional torque converter auto gearbox. I had looked for the "right" secondhand Focus or Astra for ages to no avail.
I find that our 130 drives & handles well, it can go quite well now it is loosening up (3000 miles), fuel economy is "OK" (40mpg on short journeys, up to 50 on a long motorway journey), it is spacious, fairly comfortable, fairly quiet etc. Build quality (Czech) is almost flawless, with only a few minor niggles to sort when they mount up to make a visit to a dealer worthwhile. We also really like the colour - Shine Red.
What we dont like - it could do with better seats, more power (of course), and a better gearbox (which is smooth etc but not always predictable /ready to kick down etc in auto mode so I find myself using it manually). I also think that the interior is a bit drab - in UK Hyundais seem to come only with black interiors. Sadly also it is not yet possible to get the usual extras you would expect - mudflaps etc are not available yet as for the "2011" spec model. I wish that we had hung on for the "Premium" CRDi auto that appeared in UK with the 2011 spec (I didnt know about it when we ordered!). But then again I hear rumour of a 1.7 litre diesel as well as a new auto gearbox (like Ford /VAG DSG)............. (we no longer get the 2.0 diesel in UK).
When I was looking at "new", we preferred the Kia Cee'd, although the equivalent was very much more expensive to us (I only tried a 1.4, it drove better, quieter, liked the lumbar support & height adjust on both front seats etc). Even more so, we preferred the new Astra - but a diesel automatic Astra would have been about 6k - 8k more than the i30, ie getting well into BMW 1 series money. (I wouldn't buy a Focus new at the moment as it is about to be revised /replaced).
Our i30 was a very decent deal as I bought through a car broker saving £££££'s, but sadly meaning it was registered to a fleet for the 1st days of its life. So overall I am pleased with my i30, although somehow I very much doubt I shall still have it in 10 years time (as our previous car - a "lumbering" Vectra 2.0 auto)!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I recently purchased my Elantra Touring (i30 in the US) and it was up against a fully loaded Honda Fit. I was a Honda Civic owner so at first I leaned toward the Fit. I felt both cars held their own decently on the road and both cars were the same price, however I liked the extra room (about 30% more cargo volume over the Fit) and warranty from Hyundai. My local Hyundai dealer goes so far as to double Hyundai's power train warranty for free as well.
After a month now, I really love my Hyundai ET, it's a really great car.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I bought mine as 1. its just a hot little car, and 2. no one else had one here in Brisbane, I saw maybe one per week - now they're everywhere!

·
Registered
52 Posts
I'm a US buyer, so the comparisons are a bit off, but I drove a Mazda3 and a Kia Forte 5-door before I bought a new Elantra Touring SE (that's the premium version here). To be completely candid, I always thought I'd be getting a Mazda3 when I traded in my Mazda Millenia. The current styling, however, was too rocket-ship in the interior and too smiley-face on the exterior. Also, the Mazda felt cramped inside compared to the Elantra Touring and cost about $3K US more. As for the Kia, it's hard to find a stick shift version of the premium trim (SX) and I thought the automatic/manual with the steering wheel paddles was gimmicky and not smooth. Clearly the upscale Kia has more power, but I preferred the ET's handling and design. I am, however, in my 60s, so I may just prefer something styled less aggressively.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I bought a 2010 i30 comfort at the end of 2010 because I've been driving a 1999 Lantra 1.6 Gsi for 10 years and it was the best car I ever had...

·
Registered
16 Posts
I've had the 2010 Touring GLS Sport (Highest Trim in Canada) for 11 months now and love it. We test drove a lot of vehicles before making the purchase. Some of the vehicles were clearly superior but out of our price range (Nissan Rogue/Honda CRV). We were thinking of having kids and wanted the extra room while at the same time accommodating for a large dog. Honestly, the cargo area in the Touring is very impressive and that is what ultimately won out. The ability to afford all the bells and whistles and have a sunroof was also very attractive.

It hasn't all been roses though. I've already had two collisions in the vehicle and didn't have a single one with the Honda Civic we had for 5yrs previous. One of the accidents was a direct result of the poor blind spots in the front corners (especially with rain deflectors installed). Another downside is that the 17" low profile tires were not suitable for poor Canadian roads (potholes/rought/etc.). Felt like you were driving a tank. The electronic assist steering coupled with the heaving friction caused by the 17" tires also contributed to a less enjoyable driving experience. It feels like night and day with 15" tires on (which one would think the opposite). Oh, I should also mention that the dealer charges outrageous prices on replacement parts that aren't covered under warranty. You're better off finding suitable fits elsewhere.. unless it's a critical component. Just had the rear wiper strip tear off and my local dealship wanted $43cdn+ tax. My reaction was pretty much 'No fu**ing way I'll go elsewhere' (found them on Ebay for $4.50).

Despite those issues, she's a pretty fine little car. Sometimes I wish she had a little more umph for the highway with a full load, but I'll take the good fuel economy as an offset.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Anyway im just looking for a more emotional connection i guess you know rather than just specs and features.
[/quote]
My previous car was a Peugeot 307. The i30 leaves if for dead on all counts, I think. The build quality is far superior, it is much more powerful but much quieter and has many more features. What got me though was the design. It is obviously German in origin and I think that is a very good thing for car design. For the money, I don't think you can find a better car, Certainly not one that is as good-looking.

I love my i30 better than the Peugeot, Suburu and Passat that I had before.

Gerry

X

·
0 Posts
Why of why an i30?

Been asking myself this for 2 years

Wish I hadn't......

1 - 11 of 11 Posts