Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, this has been bugging me. I had not purchased a new car in 12 years before purchasing my 2010 santa fe. Is it common along all vehicle lines NOT to have a key locking mechanism on the passenger side? Something new? I miss being able to open the passenger side with a key rather than having to open ALL doors with the keyless remote. Much ado about nothing? Just new to me! Tedrik

·
1,914 Posts
Most car companies started doing that earlier in the decade and hyundai caught on. On my 08, I can unlock the front door and then press it twice to unlock all of the others.

·
Premium Member
2021 Santa Fe Limited 2.5T
354 Posts
I never noticed there wasn't a right side lock until after I purchased my 09 Santa Fe Limited.
What I really miss is not having a key lock for the back hatch. I used it all the time on my 05 Santa Fe.
I kept a key in a hidden mag box to open the back when I go kayaking. I would lock my remote & keys inside
& not have to carry them with me. Sometimes my kayak will step aside & leave me in the water. Not a good place
for the remote.

O'well, got to get use to the times.

Bruce

·
Registered
5,886 Posts
My last 3 or 4 cars were like that, but in fairness to the various manufacturers I didn't notice or care.

The car business in recent years has taken cost-cutting to new levels, and not just in missing door locks. Interior plastics have gotten harder, undercoating has gotten thinner, and moldings and mudflaps have disappeared altogether... it's almost a contest to see how much less people will accept. A buddy of mine just dropped $40,000 on a "loaded" Dodge Ram 4x4, only to discover that his 20-inch polished chrome rims are in fact plastic-wrapped steel, and his plush interior stops at eyebrow-level with rock-hard plastic sun visors and a Walmart-grade roofliner.

Hyundai has navigated these cost-conscious times better than anyone else, but hopefully it won't win the race to the bottom when it comes to quality. There's short-term profit to be had in cost-cutting, and as I have said before in this forum the Koreans are not known for their patience...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts