Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It sounds like AM. Its all muffled no matter which settings I adjust. Aux quality is just fine but xm was pretty bad too when I had it

·
Registered
4,426 Posts
Could the antenna be off the radio?? I have pretty good reception with xm - not great but good enough.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
The base Sonata's stereo is terrible compared to the base Camry's. CDs sound pretty good, but that's it.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Oh, I see... I have the infinity system that's the upgrade over the stock system. Maybe that's why... I LOVE the sound this kicks out. Perfect for me...

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
How can you tell which system you have? I have a SE w/o nav that's all I can say :\
I believe if its the upgraded system it'll say 'Dimension' on it.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Ive noticed the stereo sounds bad on FM also. Reception is fine, its just dull and compressed sounding. Mp3 sounds fine. Was going to upgrade speakers until I realized its the FM only.

·
Registered
628 Posts
I have the Dimension radio with HD. FM sounds really really bad if the station does not have an HD signal. If its on HD Digital the sound is pretty good, not great, not nearly as good as CD or USB.

In a way i think its a crime that in 2013 they(Hyunda'is subcontractor) will not put together a radio with good sound. How much can it possibly cost? I mean how long has stereo FM technology been around now? 40 years?

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
I decided to experiment today and used the FM tuner on my Walkman MP3 player (using aux cable). Sounded WAY better than regular FM through the car's radio. I even switched directly back and forth between aux and FM (same station) and its amazing the difference.

It must be something about the stock antenna that sucks.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I think its a combo of antenna and radio.

I had a shorty antenna on my last vehicle and around the same distance in both cars I get scratchy reception and low quality radio. I dont think that the antenna gets very strong and far reception, and the quality of the radio just amplifies the poor reception.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I'm very disappointed overall with the Sonata's XM and FM sound quality. If I play through my phone's bluetooth, it sounds much better, but still can't believe I thought getting the Dimension audio system would be great...

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Over 60 years . . . first cars with FM were introduced in 1952. For the last 20 years the number of FM Stations and Listeners has exceeded that of AM.

Fragile is right: there is no excuse for not getting FM right in any car radio.

I really have no problem with the FM in my Sonata (Ltd.).

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Seems across the board problem

All,

We've retrofitted quite a lot of Hyundai factory radios to nav system and generally speaking FM,AM and XM are weak. This is not only on the Sonata but across all Hyundai & Kia radios.

I don't know if it's related the built-in tuner or the antenna itself but it's not terribly bad, I think they are weaker than the good average.

Just my 2 cents...

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
All,

We've retrofitted quite a lot of Hyundai factory radios to nav system and generally speaking FM,AM and XM are weak. This is not only on the Sonata but across all Hyundai & Kia radios.

I don't know if it's related the built-in tuner or the antenna itself but it's not terribly bad, I think they are weaker than the good average.

Just my 2 cents...
TBH I have a hard time blaming the tuners or the antenna, especially since XM is just as bad. XM is a digital signal: you either get it in the same quality as it's transmitted, or you don't get it at all. The fact that XM does work (even though the SQ is crap) means the antenna is functioning, and the tuner is tuning just fine. At that point it becomes an issue with the way that audio is processed in the HU.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
The FM radio in my SE performs fine. I've for the Dimension w/ Nav radio, and while HD does sound dramatically better than normal FM, it's not bad either. My last car also had the antenna in the back window, so perhaps there is a quality improvement from it not being in the window that I just don't notice.

The XM definitely leaves a lot to be desired quality wise. I've had it on several radios and it always sounds like crap compared to CD. They must compress the **** out of the signals to carry all the channels they do.

·
Registered
907 Posts
I will say that FM does sown "grainy" compared to XM and high bit-rate MP3 audio.

I'm sure Hyundai uses an average FM tuner for audio processing, but again the quality is limited to FM, which comparing to MP3s, and FM audio is like a 64kbps bit-rate MP3, which is crap these days. It is an analog signal.

Ever listen to HD radio? Another noticeable improvement over FM quality since it is all digital.

I wish my hyundai radios could process .flac songs.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I will say that FM does sown "grainy" compared to XM and high bit-rate MP3 audio.

I'm sure Hyundai uses an average FM tuner for audio processing, but again the quality is limited to FM, which comparing to MP3s, and FM audio is like a 64kbps bit-rate MP3, which is crap these days. It is an analog signal.

Ever listen to HD radio? Another noticeable improvement over FM quality since it is all digital.

I wish my hyundai radios could process .flac songs.
I can't say that I've listened to HD radio, but I listen to FM in my GMC Savana work van everyday at work. It's a 2-speaker system, front doors only, and the FM stations sound so much better than they do in my Sonata SE. It really is night and day.

I have no idea what system I have. I don't have Nav, but I do have 6 speakers and the sub.

·
Registered
166 Posts
TBH I have a hard time blaming the tuners or the antenna, especially since XM is just as bad. XM is a digital signal: you either get it in the same quality as it's transmitted, or you don't get it at all. The fact that XM does work (even though the SQ is crap) means the antenna is functioning, and the tuner is tuning just fine. At that point it becomes an issue with the way that audio is processed in the HU.
Stock HU is capable of reproducing great sound. If you put a good quality MP3 recording, and i know that is an oxymoron, from a USB stick you will hear what the unit is capable of. It sounds better than the CD even. There is a component/filter inside the unit (probably associated with the tuner) that does not resolve the signal properly.

Stereo seperation is awful on XM or FM however frequency range is pretty decent for me.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts