Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had three Hyundai's and they were all decent cars, except the service was never as advertised. Whenever I ran into a problem, it was a complete pain to get it fixed. Sure they advertise all this service, but when it comes time to act, they never have anybody fix it.

My main problem came when I had a defective air bag issue on my 2006 Hyundai Sonata. I tried to get it fixed, and had to go to the dealership several times, and each time they claimed they were unable to recreate the issue, it is sporadic. It's not something that I can easily recreate at will. If I crashed and the passenger died, would Hyundai take the blame? I highly doubt it.

I finally ended up showing them that it was an issue when i brought a passenger and it did not work. The 400 pound Technician sat on the seat and verified that the air bag does have a problem. I received my car back, and sure the air bag worked, but the heated seats did not, and the car was missing caps on the sides of the seats. The seats also had a ton of grease on it. I asked if they can fix it, and they said I could wait about 3 days for a loaner car which would be perfectly acceptable to me. I said okay, and a week later, they said it was delayed. This carried on for a couple of months, and I grew extremely tired of it, if they do not want to guarantee a loaner car it is fine, just fix it for me. I said that over the phone, and they say they are busy and will call me back in about 20 minutes. This carried on several times.

What I want is pretty simple, to use a different dealership to fix the problems. You would think Hyundai would help someone who has three of their cars, and is seriously considering buying a Genesis. I first emailed them with pictures showing the grease and the missing caps, and they told me I can use the same dealership, they contacted management and they will fix the problems. That is NOT what I want, I want to use a different dealership, not **** off the management at one dealership where they will mess with my car so that it will break as soon as my warranty expires. The e-mail's take about a week for them to respond, I figure this is going way too slowly.

I called Hyundai instead, waited on hold for a long time, and told them I wish to go to a different dealership. They said that I cannot, as the one I went to is not a Hyundai owned dealership. It sure is misleading, they are authorized to sell Hyundai cars, they are also authorized to fix Hyundai cars. They even have Hyundai in their dealership name. If I search for a dealership online, they are listed as a dealer.

So my request is simple, I'm tired of this dealership and their lies, and they tell me "too bad". I cannot use a different dealership, to not honor such a simple request, it will cost Hyundai very little. The representative was very nice and did say he can escalate the issue for me to somebody who can help.

About two days later, I get a call from a lady who understands my frustrations, so she has called the dealership and they assure her they will fix the issue. I tell her, "I do not trust that dealership". How can you trust a dealership at the point where you **** them off and complain to corporate about them? I mean seriously. She tells me she understands that I am upset, but they will fix the issue. i do not want it fixed there, and tell her, she tells me clearly we are not understanding each other, and she says she cannot help me. She says it's beyond her abilities, she will escalate it, but if they do not want to call me back, they will not. Then she hangs up.

I ended up getting the car fixed elsewhere, just have the side caps missing still. I don't think it would have been too much to ask for Hyundai to pay for the cost of the missing caps, telling me that they refuse to because it is not a Hyundai owned dealership. I have three cars was going to get a Genesis, but no way will I even consider buying another Hyundai after the rudeness they have displayed.

Sorry about the disorganization, it's just very upsetting to me.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Dude, you is in New York, thats your first issue.

The fellas is obviously oblivious to the common SRS concerns with the NF Sonata... Buckle code, replace the buckle... occupant mat code, replace the seat bottom,,, light not go out when right seat occupied, and no DTC, send seat bottom to CA for re-program.. JEEZ

Next, you are free to take your car to any Hyundai franchise of choice... just because you bought your car at dealer "A" does not mean dealer "A" is the only place allowed to provide service. Dealer "B", "C", "D", or any other in another state can provide authorized warranty repair work.

I know of people who have taken it up with Hyundai USA that they want the work done, but not again at the first dealer, so they get Hyundai to authorize repair at different facilty and charge the labor & parts back to the facilty who goofed it up in the first place.

Go find a dealer with the service that makes you happy,,, you are done with dealer "A"...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would be fine if Hyundai USA authorized it, but they basically told me "screw you". By the way, the person who contacted me was most likely regional and in New York. Meaning they are also rude asses. They were unhelpful, and the person who followed up on it hung up on the phone with me saying "we cannot come to an understanding". I just want to go to a different dealership, she should be capable of authorizing it and she hangs up and says if someone wants to call you back they will.

In the end my car had the caps unfixed, I wasted a ton of my time, my seat is messed up was dirtied, I cannot get the seat drapes (I am unsure of the name) they are on wrong. I feel like Hyundai royally screwed me.

If anyone from Hyundai feels they should follow up with me let them feel free to, but otherwise I feel Hyundai sucks and think others should know.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I would check the BBB rating of the dealers and see if it makes a difference, see what the complaints are about that particular dealership and go from there. Not sure about finding an A+ rated dealer, but the one I go to is A- rated. They do a pretty good job.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts