Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No, I'm not a tree hugging hippy or someone screaming that we should save the whales in union square. For a person who drives in pretty much stop & go traffic on my way home from work everyday, the eco mode is a welcome feature to have. When I know that I have no choice but to face the gridlock, I push the eco button and my Sonata does a good job of lowering my revs and conserving gas. I'm not going anywhere anyway so why rev up to 3,000 rpms to hit the brakes in 50 ft? Of course, once the sea of cars part I take the car out of eco mode and enjoy the power of the turbo as I go on my merry way.

I just think it is a smart option and I feel it will work very well for my slippery drives this winter. I may be using it quite consistently in the winter as there is no need for a Turbo in 3-4" of snow.

·
Registered
55 Posts
It's been a great feature for constantly gridlocked Atlanta commutes. I also use it for congested highway situations to keep the transmission from downshifting from 6 to 5 and save a little bit more.

·
Registered
433 Posts
I agree with the winter use. My snow tires are only rated to 100 mph anyway! Still has plenty of power to get through the snow with Eco mode.

·
Registered
920 Posts
I use the eco button also in stop and go traffic also. Its a great feature and I like how one can sense and feel the difference with the button pressed in and off.

·
Registered
458 Posts
So, is it better to have the eco on in stop and go traffic, or when traveling on the highway?? Will be taking a small road trip down to KC this weekend about a 400 mile round trip all interstate. Hopefully I will behave and try to keep my foot out of it. Yeah Right

·
Registered
920 Posts
So, is it better to have the eco on in stop and go traffic, or when traveling on the highway?? Will be taking a small road trip down to KC this weekend about a 400 mile round trip all interstate. Hopefully I will behave and try to keep my foot out of it. Yeah Right
I think its a matter of choice. I dont use eco on open road because the car cruises effortlessly. Its the stop and go that hurts. As G stone said, doesn't make sense for you to rev 3k if your stopping in 50ft or less. I remember taking a road trip to visit family in PA I never used eco button and averaged about 34mpg on the trip.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Why turn it off? Ours is always on...afaik, when ya punch it it takes it out of Eco anyways
Mine doesn't. You can tell the difference in passing with it on and off. My friends pointed it out to me as well. I like riding with eco on during the week then turning it off on the weekends. It feels like every weekend I've put a tuner on it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I keep it on all the time.

If I want to drive fast, I just shift the gears manually and blow people's eardrums with my "vrmmm pshhh".

:p
hehehe.. After making the mod from the BOV thread, i do enjoy that "vrmmm pshhh". No one would ever guess that there is even an "eco mode" option. :D

·
Registered
91 Posts
I personally have not noticed any savings on MPG with Eco mode versus driving conservatively. Additionally, the shift profile of the transmission is a bit annoying as downshifts are delayed which have caused abrupt shifts to a lower gear - not very smooth.

This was done for a few month trial as part of a regular short daily commute (~ 3 miles) in local traffic. With a disciplined right foot I get virtually the same MPG versus Eco mode on.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I do not like the Eco on in traffic because if I need to hit it I hate the hesitation. I too have not seen a difference in MPG with the Eco on. I can get better MPG if I manually shift and keep it in 6th gear. There is still sufficient torque to pass.

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
No, I'm not a tree hugging hippy or someone screaming that we should save the whales in union square. For a person who drives in pretty much stop & go traffic on my way home from work everyday, the eco mode is a welcome feature to have. When I know that I have no choice but to face the gridlock, I push the eco button and my Sonata does a good job of lowering my revs and conserving gas. I'm not going anywhere anyway so why rev up to 3,000 rpms to hit the brakes in 50 ft? Of course, once the sea of cars part I take the car out of eco mode and enjoy the power of the turbo as I go on my merry way.

I just think it is a smart option and I feel it will work very well for my slippery drives this winter. I may be using it quite consistently in the winter as there is no need for a Turbo in 3-4" of snow.
I don't use it at all.... and in all honesty, I use the manual-matic shifting in the winter way more.... I second gear start because first just has zero traction. Then once I hit about 15-20mph, I put it back in automatic and let it shift it self. Second gear starts just provide more traction/less tq to the wheels.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts