Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about to change the oil in my 2001 GLS with 130K miles on it. I'm going with Mobile 1 high mileage synthetic oil but was wondering which filter? I have read many times on this forum to use Hyundai filters but I can't find a reason why they would be better than say a Bosh Premium filter. Anyone have an answer. Also what size socket do I need for the oilpan plug? Thanks in advance

·
Registered
893 Posts
I'm about to change the oil in my 2001 GLS with 130K miles on it. I'm going with Mobile 1 high mileage synthetic oil...
I'm a big proponent of synthetic, but with a 130K-mile motor, I'd tend to use whatever has been in use so far, under the "don't fix what isn't broke", "don't rock the boat", and "let the sleeping dog lie" rationales. (Hope these are sufficient cliches to get the point across.)

...but was wondering which filter? I have read many times on this forum to use Hyundai filters but I can't find a reason why they would be better than say a Bosh Premium filter.
The Hyundai filters have a good reputation and, for OEM filters, are relatively cheap. This makes them a good/safe choice. But Bosch generally makes good filters too, so if you want to use this instead, no worries. Either is fine.

- Mark

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm a big proponent of synthetic, but with a 130K-mile motor, I'd tend to use whatever has been in use so far, under the "don't fix what isn't broke", "don't rock the boat", and "let the sleeping dog lie" rationales. (Hope these are sufficient cliches to get the point across.)

The Hyundai filters have a good reputation and, for OEM filters, are relatively cheap. This makes them a good/safe choice. But Bosch generally makes good filters too, so if you want to use this instead, no worries. Either is fine.

- Mark
Thanks for your reply markjenn. The reason I was going to use a synthetic is because the valvles seem a little loud. At least I think it is the valves. Oil consumption is about a quart in 5K miles. I have read that the synthetic oil q1uiets the engine somewhat and logical thinking quieter is better? Anyone else have any comments?

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
If you were not having any issues I would say don't change the oil but if the consumption has increased than a HM oil may be appropriate but I don't likle going to a HM oil just because of mileage. If no issues no HM oil. A quat in 5,000, yes a HM oil may reduce that consumption.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oil filter

If you were not having any issues I would say don't change the oil but if the consumption has increased than a HM oil may be appropriate but I don't likle going to a HM oil just because of mileage. If no issues no HM oil. A quat in 5,000, yes a HM oil may reduce that consumption.
Thanks armtdm for your input. Still scratching my head on which way to go. What is your opinion on the filter?

·
Registered
283 Posts
My thought would be if your going to change the type of oil, stay with the same brand of filter. and then change the brand of filter on the next oil change.

or keep the same type of oil and change the brand of filter if you like.

Just not both at the same time. That way if the car does happen to get noisier, you have a idea what caused it.

Myself I'll keep using the Hyundai filters, as they are Less expensive than the Wix ones I use on my pickup

·
Registered
740 Posts
Stick the Hyundai Oil filters. They're cheaper than Bosch oil filters and the material and build quality are better. Mobil 1 High mileage is good stuff

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Stick the Hyundai Oil filters. They're cheaper than Bosch oil filters and the material and build quality are better. Mobil 1 High mileage is good stuff
Thanks CheckBlueGT. I was thinking the same thing. Also thinking of adding a quart of atf fluid and running it for about 20 miles to clean any sludge out before moving over to the synthetic. Any comments on this idea?

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
No ATF. There are engine flushes out there if you really think sludge is an issue. You can always pull the valve cover and see if there is sludge there before going the flush route. Actually, a quart every 5000 of so is not huge at 130,000 miles. A quart every 1000 yes but 5000 not too bad.

As to the filter, I am going to use the OEM filters on mine but I am also partial to NAPA Gold filers as well. Many good ones out there. IF no filter clatter upon start up your Bosch is fine and your warranty is up so whatever works is good.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Also thinking of adding a quart of atf fluid and running it for about 20 miles to clean any sludge out before moving over to the synthetic. Any comments on this idea?
Attempting to clean out sludge in a 130K engine is asking for trouble. If you have a sludge problem (and you shouldn't if the car has had regular oil changes), running any kind of solvent through it now runs the risk of putting the sludge into suspension and clogging oil passages. You're better off just doing more frequent changes for a period and let the additives in the oil do their work.

I wouldn't run ATF in any engine.

- Mark

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Attempting to clean out sludge in a 130K engine is asking for trouble. If you have a sludge problem (and you shouldn't if the car has had regular oil changes), running any kind of solvent through it now runs the risk of putting the sludge into suspension and clogging oil passages. You're better off just doing more frequent changes for a period and let the additives in the oil do their work.

I wouldn't run ATF in any engine.

- Mark
Thanks to all you good folks for the valuable input. I didn't do anything but drain when warm. I went with Mobile 1 high milage 5w-30 synthetic and a Hyundai filter. Pretty much the manufacture recommendation. Thanks again

·
Registered
740 Posts
Thanks CheckBlueGT. I was thinking the same thing. Also thinking of adding a quart of atf fluid and running it for about 20 miles to clean any sludge out before moving over to the synthetic. Any comments on this idea?

Don't add anything to the oil. Mobil 1 already has a huge additive package and will clean your engine when changed regularly. You don't have to flush your engine when switching from conventional to synthetic.

Thanks to all you good folks for the valuable input. I didn't do anything but drain when warm. I went with Mobile 1 high milage 5w-30 synthetic and a Hyundai filter. Pretty much the manufacture recommendation. Thanks again

You don't have to do more frequent oil changes. Just change the oil regularly with Mobil 1 High Mileage and Hyundai Oil filter; your engine will last forever. The 1998-2010 Hyundai 2.0L Beta and Beta II engines are very durable engines and they last a long time.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have to agree on the Mobile 1 High Mileage oil cleaning things up. I recently purchased a 2005 Elantra GT with horrible sludge. I've done two oil changes and I can see a marked difference in the junk through the filler cap. I am going to go with an OEM filter as they have a valve in them to keep oil from running back out of the engine when you turn the car off. This is supposed to help with the ticking noise I have on startup. I did change the filter at 1500 miles to make sure any trapped junk is taken out of the engine. My 2 cents.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Using after-market oil filters will cause the engine to make a "rattling" noise when you start it. The OEM filter from the dealer has a different design/construction that prevents that noise. It has something to do with the valve and reverse flow design inside the filter.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts