Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been wondering for some time why so few Accents are sold in comparison to the Elantra Models. Taking all Accents into account, sales are about 5500 per month where-as Elantras are about 22,000.
Is it availability, price , size, deals , etc.

What do you think?

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Been wondering for some time why so few Accents are sold in comparison to the Elantra Models. Taking all Accents into account, sales are about 5500 per month where-as Elantras are about 22,000.
Is it availability, price , size, deals , etc.

What do you think?
I don't know. The reason I liked the Accent was value and the fact it was still being made and in Korea with Korean parts. I like, and have had good luck with Asian cars. I don't regret buying my Accent. Perhaps it's just the "Accent" legacy, they had a bad rap, although maybe undeserved a bit. When first sold they weren't of the best quality but still not bad when you considered how little they cost. I had a friend who drove hers from Southern Calif. to Saskatoon quite a few times with no problems. I guess Elantra buyers need to post why they chose the Elantra over the Accent. cheers.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Here's my take. I think they are both great looking cars. The current Elantra finally got everything right across the board: above-average reliability ratings, solid safety scores (historically a weak point), sufficient power and such. Its sales has exploded. The Accent by contrast still has industry-lagging safety and reliability scores.

The biggest factor, IMHO, is that there is not much of a market for subcompacts. The US market generally prefers bigger cars, so subcompacts have never sold well. The Elantra on the other hand straddles two markets: it competes in the compact category, but is big, refined and comfortable enough to substitute for a mid size (a huge market). That was certainly the case for me: the Elantra is replacing our old 1996 Camry as the family chariot, especially for long road trips. The Accent could never serve that role.

·
Banned
1,850 Posts
What do you think?
Are those figures just for the US or worldwide ??

People buy the cars that they LIKE the most.
The US market generally still doesn't LIKE small cars.

I was looking for the smallest car that had a reasonably good ride and that I felt comfortable IN. The Elantra was a match; the Accent wasn't.

·
Registered
660 Posts
I think the Elantra looks better, and the price difference is almost negligible. I chose the Accent because I wanted a hatchback (The Elantra GT is overpriced, I can get a Mazdaspeed 3 or Civic Si for what they are asking) and the Accent is way lighter. The extra 10hp in the Elantra isn't enough to make up for the 400lb weight difference, either.

·
Registered
563 Posts
I actually think the Accent looks and performs better. I think the real reason is people are afraid of cheap models, especially from Korean manufacturers. I actually PREFER the cheapest models in every line-up...The best technology trickles down to the volume seller. Our Accent 1.6 is probably the best-engineered engine Hyundai makes except for maybe the 2.0T

·
Registered
419 Posts
I believe the sales difference has much more to do with size rather than any other comparisons. The Accent will appeal to the single male/female for daily commuting or for someone like myself who has a family, but has dedicated the Accent for commuting solely to work and back. Where as the Elantra crosses the divide into a larger class making it a better family hauler. A similar comparison could be made with honda Fit vs. Accord, or Yaris vs. Camry. It all boils down to purpose and there is just less purpose with a smaller vehicle. I love my Accent, and it serves the purpose I intended it for when I purchased it.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The volumes I cited are USA sales only. Whats interesting is the number of times posters have mentioned size. I have the Accent GLS and interior wise it seems much roomier than a subcompact. More a compact fit. The GLS is only about 4" narrower inside than the Elantra and is about 6" shorter. The Elantra has a little larger engine. I really do not see that much of a difference between them.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Yes, an Accent is rated to be roomy for a subcompact. But overlapping into compact category doesn't gain the Accent much, because that's a relatively small market compared to the mid size sedan market that the Elantra is reaching into. That extra 4" width would determine whether you could fit an extra passenger or child seat in the back seat, and every bit of trunk space counts. So while an Accent might feel like a compact inside and on the road, the Elantra is bigger still and feels, sounds and drives like a mid size inside and on the road. Also, for people looking for more luxury, the Elantra has more goodies like heated front and back seats, leather seats, backup camera and a navigation system. I guess with today's low interest financing people are willing to buy more car.

I would be perfectly happy with an Accent as my daily commuter, and until this month was driving a 2001 Accent. But in looking for a family hauler I had other criteria that the Elantra filled wonderfully and at significantly less money than a mid size sedan. It depends on your needs, and I guess the Elantra fills more people's needs than the Accent.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Personally, I don't think the Elantra drives like a mid size car...it drives like a compact. It offers certain advantages over others in its class but IMO it doesn't really punch up through the competition to any great degree. The compact class is very competitive just like the subcompact class has suddenly become over the last few years. Ultimately, people are looking for a certain size of car and what that brings them ( interior space, features, safety, etc. ) and that's the overriding factor for sales numbers. That's the reason that the VW Golf sells in the hundreds of thousands in Europe every year but sells nowhere near those numbers in the U.S. If the U.S. was 80% urban then I'm sure we'd see a lot more Accent sales just like we'd see more Fiesta, Fit, etc. sales. The Elantra, Focus, Mazda3, etc. are considered compact cars in this country but would be considered larger than that (relatively) in much of the world. In this country, you're always going to sell a lot more F-150s and mid-sizes than you will Accents. I think gas would probably have to go above $6-$7 dollars a gallon to see anything different than that...

·
Registered
184 Posts
My wife has a 13' Elantra, we chose it because it was roomy, good gas mileage, and it had a lot of standard features. I drive a 13' Accent I chose it because I commute farther to work so i needed good gas mileage, and a lower msrp. The price difference between the two cars was about 2500. While 2500 isnt a whole lot i actually do prefer the accent. The GDI feels more responsive and has less wind and road noise than the elantra. The only bad thing about the accent is the interior feels kinda cheap when compared to the elantra. As far as interior features they are both very similar the only thing the elantra has that the accent does is the front heated seats. Plus you also have to remember the Nissan Versa is dirt cheap when compared to the accent. While the accent is definitely the better car versa sales tend to be high and the accent lower.

·
Registered
385 Posts
The Elantra GT is one of the nicest cars Hyundai has put some in a long time imho, its the only Elantra I would buy, the regular Elantra has lack of front headroom due to the raked windshield as does the coupe Elantra.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Yeah, maybe it's indicative of how things have changed but the Accent is generally quieter inside than the Elantra and although it still has the funky electronic steering effect, it's tuned better in the Accent than it is in the Elantra. I looked at both cars and went with the Accent as I found them to be surprisingly similar and in that case hatchback trumps a trunk. The Accent has the benefit of better gas mileage and smaller length ( 16" in hatchback form ) for city parking among other things. Although they've adjusted the EPA figures for both cars last year, I think you'd be hard pressed to consistently get 40 mpg highway in the Elantra while I usually don't get less than 38 mpg highway and have hit a hand-calculated 41-42 mpg on more than one occasion when it's just long drives at 65 mph on level highways.

The downside is the unknown longevity of the GDI engine and any related problems ( carbon buildup,etc. ). Because of that, I think the Accent might especially need Top Tier gas ( manual says so ) and synthetic oil long term versus the probably more forgiving MPI engine in the Elantra. I guess we'll find out...

·
Registered
419 Posts
Everybody purchases cars far various and personal/possibly professional reasons. The mid-size class appeals to more buyers. More buyers=more potential sales. all it takes is viewing a commercial to put it all together. Accent may be better in many areas, but falls short and small in the categories that apply to most consumers. A "Niche" market that IMO Hyundai is doing well in.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Maybe some sales numbers would be useful: June car sales from Edmunds. Actually, Edmunds just released their July car sales analysis, but I find the June article more useful because they break down actual car sales by category. If you contrast the top subcompact's sales (9363, Fiesta) with the top compact's sales (32871, Cruze), you'll realize that the Accent is simply competing in a different market, and should adjust your expectations accordingly. Hyundai's Accent and Elantra are doing respectably well in their own market, and there is nothing there to be ashamed of.

What I think is notable is that compact car sales are now comparable to midsize car sales. It used to be that midsize cars significantly outsell compacts. IMHO, probably the biggest factor is that the cars that we consider to be compacts, such as the Elantra, are now so big and refined that they can serve the mainstream needs that people used to buy midsize sedans for. Certainly, the 2013 Elantra is big enough to replace my 1996 Camry as the family hauler. As somebody put it, the Civic has become an Accord, and the Accord has become a Buick.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Which one would you choose? During July, dealers had more Elantras than Accents on the lots since Hyundai was saturating the airwaves with Elantra commercials. This replaces an '89 Camry. It bigger, accelerates faster, and gets better mileage.
Jack

Attachments

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I think Jacktechie has given the answer in the price comparison. Add to that the 0% or 1% financing deal on Elantras and why wouldn't they be a better choice!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts