Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Unprecedented noise occurs when a product with 100% PAO base is used.
I wonder if it's my car's problem or if certain oils can be noisy.
What do you think?

·
Registered
481 Posts
Unprecedented noise occurs when a product with 100% PAO base is used.
I wonder if it's my car's problem or if certain oils can be noisy.
What do you think?
Describe "unprecedented" a little more precisely.

·
Banned
7,041 Posts
Oil doesn't make noise.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I doubt there are many pure synthetics , even Ester marketed racing oil only has 10-20% group 5 .

I think if you go 3, 4 and 5 you'll get a reasonably complete oil as you'll get the benefits of each group .

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hmm...what brand and what viscosity? The viscosity is more of a suspect than anything else. Why do you think it is PAO based? Very few synthetic oils are PAO based these days, except maybe some boutique oils, and the Belgian made Castrol 0w40. Very few manufactureres are willing to go on record disclosing what is in their product. If yout understand the lingo, their MSDS (material safety data sheet) gives a clue.

I had a surprisingly bad experience recently with a 2018 Honda Ody which calls for 0w20. I said **** the torpedoes and put the 0w40 Castrol in it (Belgian, which is mostly pao, based on the msds) . I noticed it was running noisier than usual, so a couple of days later I swapped the Castrol out to Mobil-1 0w20. To my surprise, it runs much quieter with that. Maybe I have an overactive imagination. My wife noticed it too, and she does not normally pay attention to engine sounds. I used 5w30 mobile in this car before and it ran fine with that, but apparently the 0w40 was too heavy for it.

Mobil, Exxon and Penzz have been reformulated to GTL based in recent years, the only big brand I know that is still PAO based is the Castrol 0w40.

GTL is a fine base stock, in many ways better than PAO. It suffers from and unlucky classification, (base 3 despite of the totally different, gas to liquid manufacturing process) Most every brand has been reformulated to use either gtl, or group 3 base stock. (even Amsoil).
Noisy engines are a fair warning that the lubrication you are getting is suboptimal. To me, noisy means poorly lubricated. Not enough oil is getting to where it is needed.
Some people will loudly proclaim there is a car manufacturer conspiracy to use thin oils, for just meeting the CAFE standards. Maybe, but I am becoming more and more convinced that there is such a thing as designing an engine for the thinner oils, and these engines may not work well with a much higher viscosity oil.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I've heard of this multiple times, and it seems to be the consensus among some members on BITOG that Mobil1 oils can make an engine noisier, but it doesn't affect its performance.
I know viscosity changes can cause this... Too thin can cause excessive clearances and too thick can impede flow (my old car's hydraulic lifters would tick on anything over xW40) but I've heard this with PAO oils of the same viscosity when compared with a Group 3 synthetic.
A nice 5W30 synthetic is my favourite in a modern engine, and I'm currently running and have a stash of Castrol Edge 5W30 I got half price. My GDI runs very smooth on it and as quiet as you can get a GDI to run!

·
Registered
54 Posts
And what car manufacturer specs does the 5W30 Castrol Edge carry ?
In Australia at least the 5W30 is ACEA A3/B4 and API SL rated because of its phosphorous content exceeds SM/SN. It meets BMW longlife and a MB and VW approval but can't remember which off the top of my head.
I also have some Edge 10W30 in my stash which is surprisingly THINNER than the 5W30 (HTHS of 3.2 Vs 3.6) and that meets ACEA A5 as a resource conserving oil plus it gets API SN rating because of its lower phosphorous levels.

My GDI calls for ACEA A5 in the manual which limits me to 20 and thin 30 weights, so I use the A5 10w30 for the 12 month dealership service (to try keep 5yr warranty) and I service it myself every 10,000km in between with the A3 5w30 which offers better protection at the shocking expense of 0.00001% more fuel consumption!

I can't tell much difference between the two in operation and I'm very sensitive to slight changes in my cars. It may be a little smoother nearer to the redline on the slightly thicker 30 though! Noise levels are the same, but it's only got 27,000km on the engine, so as the miles pile on and the clearances on the mechanical tappets increase, the thinner stuff might start to cause slightly more of a racket!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts