Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Possibly in the market for a Sonata Hybrid. We currently have a 2012 Sonata Limited and love it.

We were originally considering a loaded 2103 Elantra GT. However, I started researching other models and noticed that dealers in my area have large discounts on 2013 Sonata Hybrids right now.

For instance, the dealer has a few cars with discounts like this :

$23,995*
MSRP = $31,690*
Instant Savings= -$7,695

Of course, the $7695 is a conglomeration of all current discounts plus additional discounts.

This seems like a great deal to me. For others that have purchased the Hybrid, is it normal to find large discounts like this? I'm assuming they are not selling well and are trying to clear them out, etc...

Thanks!

·
Banned
532 Posts
End of the fiscal year, holidays, interest rates a rising, dealer market share & factory volume discount allowance and .......... who's got money in January?

·
22,788 Posts
.......... who's got money in January?
I wanted to say Uncle Sam, but not sure that's an accurate statement. I'm seeing some exceptionally great offering's on almost every 2013 Hyundai model on the dealer's lots. Even a nice discount on the Gen Coupe that Santa said he was gonna put in my stocking. I'm holding my breath! The discounts are real, Santa...well, "I BELIEVE..." :wink2:

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
You know the old saying "if it ain't broke don't fix it."

It might be because they aren't selling very well. And a salesman I trust says he doesn't like them. Maybe they aren't all they are cracked up to be.

BUT, if you REALLY wanted to make your life complete, consider a new Genesis. I drove one the other day and it was wonderful. I can't make a good case for trading in my nearly new 2013 Sonata SE so I will defer this until a sack full of money drops out of the sky.

I would pass on the Sonata Hybrid. Drive the Genesis and see which you prefer. I've also driven the Azura and frankly, it didn't get my blood flowing like the Genesis. It's nice, looks pretty, but IMHO, not much better than the Sonata.

Having said all the above, without ANY question, an Elantra Limited with all the bells and whistles is the best car in Hyundai's stable. Dollar for dollar, pound for pound it can't be beat. And the new 2014 coming may even be better. But the discounts won't be there for a while.

Drive the Genesis before you buy anything. I think you will change your mind although you may disagree. That's why we are here anyway to learn from one another.

P.S. I'd definitely pass on the GT. It says "Elantra" but it's not the same car. I drove one to Texas and it was a torture box the last 100 miles.

·
22,788 Posts
BUT, if you REALLY wanted to make your life complete, consider a new Genesis. I drove one the other day and it was wonderful. I can't make a good case for trading in my nearly new 2013 Sonata SE so I will defer this until a sack full of money drops out of the sky.
Please don't talk about the Genesis. I'm one blank check away from going down to the dealer's lot and genuflecting in front of a Coupe's grill! :auto:

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
Please don't talk about the Genesis. I'm one blank check away from going down to the dealer's lot and genuflecting in front of a Coupe's grill! :auto:
I've not driven the coupe. Isn't that a different car than the sedan?

CR says it had an imprecise manual transmission and a stiff unsettled ride.

The Sedan has an eight speed automatic and I was rather astonished at the fuel mileage coming back from Texas when I brought it back for a local dealer. It only used about a 1/2 tank of gas in 240 miles so it must have a range of about 500 miles. But it was the R-Spec and that is too much complication for me. I just like the regular one. I would have done some serious negotiating if it had the telescoping wheel. I don't get that unless they want the customer to get the upgraded model.

Personally, I think you ought to consider the Elantra Limited loaded. You already know it is a great car. Whoops!! I see you already have one. So as the saying goes and I repeat it. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. But each to his own. Regardless, you should do what you think best. Good luck.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You know the old saying "if it ain't broke don't fix it."

It might be because they aren't selling very well. And a salesman I trust says he doesn't like them. Maybe they aren't all they are cracked up to be.

Any idea why he doesn't like them? ( The Sonata Hybrid, that is... )

·
Registered
111 Posts
I'd wager it's because an informed consumer tends to know more about the Hybrids than most sales people. When I test-drove mine, I was showing the sales guy some of the features and he was very impressed....

While I love my hybrid, I chose to never purchase from that sales guy again for obvious reasons ;)

Other than pricing, did you have any questions about the hybrid? Most here are happy to chat about their experiences with theirs :cool:

·
Registered
647 Posts
Maybe because other hybrids are being discounted? I saw that one manufacturer has their hybrid model priced the same as the gas engine version. I forget who, one of the domestics.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Other than pricing, did you have any questions about the hybrid? Most here are happy to chat about their experiences with theirs :cool:

24K just seems like a great deal on a Limited Hybrid...am I wrong..or have folks found it lower?

Other than that, being from Minnesota, my main concern is with cold weather performance..or lack thereof. My main beef with Hybrids in general has been less than stellar performance when conditions are not 'perfect'. Also concerned with long term reliability, etc...

So does anyone drive a Sonata Hybrid where it is 'winter' 6+ months a year? ^_^

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
24K just seems like a great deal on a Limited Hybrid...am I wrong..or have folks found it lower?

Other than that, being from Minnesota, my main concern is with cold weather performance..or lack thereof. My main beef with Hybrids in general has been less than stellar performance when conditions are not 'perfect'. Also concerned with long term reliability, etc...

So does anyone drive a Sonata Hybrid where it is 'winter' 6+ months a year? ^_^
This member lives near Santa Clause near the North Pole so ask him

http://www.hyundai-forums.com/private.php?do=newpm&u=313449

·
Registered
82 Posts
FYI, I am in quebec so we have good winters. However I can't tell how bad it will get as this is my first winter with my 2013 HSH. Still, so far I can see a pattern building up so I am starting to get an idea of what i'll be getting.

So far I am at about 5.5, 5.7l/100 (41mpg) and I am usually at 5l/100 (47mpg). I expect this to go to about maybe 6l/100 (39mpg) on worst temps.

Today it was -7C with heavy winds (with wind factor it was -17C). So far the colder it gets the more I have to wait for the battery to heatup, the engine reaches minimum temps faster than the battery.

When at about 5C to 15C, I endup having to wait for the engine to heatup but not the battery, but lower than that, the engine will heatup faster than the battery and you will see that it wont charge as much and if it tries to charge faster than it should at the given temp, the gas engine will startup and compensate by using the engine to brake. (I could be wrong here but that's what I think is happening based on what the car is displaying).

On my commute to work, it begins with about 3 km of a slight down slope and then a big 2km drop and 30km of mostly flat. Usually I will run on the battery for the whole first 5km (assuming everything is at temp), very slightly using battery power for the small downslope and then it will almost recharge completely on the big drop.

Now at current temp, it will heatup the engine until about halfway thru the downslope where it will shutoff and continue on electric only. Once I reach the drop the battery will recharge but the engine will then startup again during the drop to help braking as the battery is unable to take all the charge. Once I slowdown, the engine will be off again. About 3 minutes later, the battery is sufficiently heated up that it will be working as if it was summer. Usually I see that pattern as I have to slightly use the brakes during the drop and as soon as I touch them, the engine will start so that probably means that the battery can't take the extra power from regen braking.

You have to note that during that time, there is no cabin heating. As soon as you turn it on, the gas engine will start and it will take forever to heatup. Leave it off, let the gas engine heatup by itself and once it reaches its temp, start the cabin heating. So much wasted energy trying to run cabin heating when the engine is not at temp.

Hope this info is useful to you!

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
So far I am at about 5.5, 5.7l/100 (41mpg) and I am usually at 5l/100 (47mpg). I expect this to go to about maybe 6l/100 (39mpg) on worst temps.
SVoyager those are some great mpg numbers :) Could you give us some more detail on your commute like is your car in a garage, tire pressure, oil type, pure gas or 10% ethanol, distance to work, Blue Mode on/off, avg speed, use of cc and any hypermiling used.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Hi Tom, hmm lets see

Garage: no (wish I had one tho)
Tire Pressure: Hmm, I'll have to get back to you on this, don't know I let the dealer set the pressure when I changed for winter tires (new tires btw).
Oil Type: Normal (non synth. I told the dealer about putting synth and they told me not to. Of course I know that synthetic for winter is better but at the time I had a rough day and I didn't felt like arguing with them. Will do it next year or if I do enough mileage to do oil change again during the winter).
Gas: Normal "Up to 10% ethanol" is what is written on the pumps when you fillup.
Distance to work: 48km (30miles)
Blue mode: On
avg speed: Would have to check the trip comp but my commute goes from 70km/h to 100km/h with a long stretch at 90km/h. I do night shifts and my commute is off traffic hours. At night I get all green lights and no traffic, ideal conditions here.
cc: on as much as possible on flat stretches only. The portion at 100km/h is not so flat so no cc at that point, but the rest is until the last 5km where I have that slope to climb/descend when I reach my home and one equivalent slope before reaching work a bit before reaching 100km/h speed limits.
hypermiling: So far I am sticking to indicated speed limits. I try to take the longest possible when stopping to a light (when no cars behind me). I will brake as lightly as possible, will usually use the live energy flow display as a helper for how much to brake. When the regen line becomes bigger, I usually try not to brake harder at that point if it is possible to do so. I will sometimes force EV when I know that I have a small stretch of 70km/h left until going up to 90km/h trying my best to have the gas engine do the accelerations and EV's for holding speed. EV accelerations drains it so much at high speed, its not worth it. Also I always attempt to not fluctuate my speed and will overtake instead of brake.

Tom, its not the first time you seem skeptical of my numbers :). Maybe my trip computer is not calculating it correctly, I don't know! Or its just that its a 3-4 months old 2013 HSH. D*mn do I drive that good :p kidding.

Cheers
SV

·
Registered
69 Posts
For that reason I grabbed one. Sales guys aren't really all that up to speed on them and was trying to push me to the turbo. The first guy didn't know about the unlimited battery warranty for example. Then tried to show me an Elantra limited touting the recoup costs for the hsh. They're quirky to drive compared to the Fusion and Prius but again, the price sold me. I've had mine now 1600 miles and aside from one time the Nav froze up, it's been ok and I'm getting 40+ (my next fill should put me over 40 on fuelly).

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
SV I'm not skeptical at all about your numbers just jealous as I know these cars can do it with a very skillful driver that really understands his ride. I rarely get to drive my wife's Hyundai Sonata Hybrid (HSH) so I'm stuck driving my Santa Fe. The dealers usually put in 34 psi in the tires unless you specify and initial for more. My wife lately was getting 33 mpg and I found the tires down to 30 psi so I put them to 40 psi and she is now back to 36-37 mpg. When I ride with her I mentally think what I would be doing as her only hypermiling skill is to go the speed limit.

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
I haven't really explored the issue with him in detail but I will the next time I see him. I usually see him a couple days a week. But he has told me this more than once.

But everyone seems to like the Elantra as do I.

I've owned an Escape Hybrid in the past but dumped it for a new Fusion. I seriously doubt I would buy another. (hybrid) Part of the reason is that I don't drive as much as I have in the past. If I can get 30-35 mpg with a gas car, the Elantra, the Sonata and even the Santa Fe, I can't really justify it.

·
Registered
82 Posts
SV I'm not skeptical at all about your numbers just jealous as I know these cars can do it with a very skillful driver that really understands his ride. I rarely get to drive my wife's Hyundai Sonata Hybrid (HSH) so I'm stuck driving my Santa Fe. The dealers usually put in 34 psi in the tires unless you specify and initial for more. My wife lately was getting 33 mpg and I found the tires down to 30 psi so I put them to 40 psi and she is now back to 36-37 mpg. When I ride with her I mentally think what I would be doing as her only hypermiling skill is to go the speed limit.
Its cool no hard feelings :). Yeah the speed limit is pretty much what they can do usually, must not ask too much of the wifes :p just kidding. To be frank tho I find my numbers to be alright but not earth shattering either too, I guess I was used to them with my elantra but that was expected when I bought the HSH. The city numbers are awesome tho. After having driven the HSH for a few months, I can only imagine the improvements they could do on the software that would make the mpg go up! In the end, I would never change it for anything else, at that price that car is just awesome!

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
I haven't really explored the issue with him in detail but I will the next time I see him. I usually see him a couple days a week. But he has told me this more than once.

But everyone seems to like the Elantra as do I.

I've owned an Escape Hybrid in the past but dumped it for a new Fusion. I seriously doubt I would buy another. (hybrid) Part of the reason is that I don't drive as much as I have in the past. If I can get 30-35 mpg with a gas car, the Elantra, the Sonata and even the Santa Fe, I can't really justify it.
According to Fuelly if you can get 30-35 mpg with those gas only cars you are in the minority and are very fuel efficient. Just imagine what you could do with a hybrid.

Sonata.......... Elantra..... .. Santa Fe
25.4 (55).... 30.3 (166).... 21.6 (83)

Sonata Hybrid

36.3 (19)

Hyundai Santa Fe MPG Reports | Fuelly

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for all the info guys!

By the way, in our 2012 Sonata Limited I am getting very good MPG :

sonata (Hyundai Sonata) | Fuelly

Two things to note here:
  • I usually drive 90%+ highway. In fact, I often drive our 'junker' 2004 mazda MPV around town...because I can.
  • I really like the instant fuel meter. It really has 'trained' me to be a more efficient driver ( my daughter thinks I 'drive like a grandma' ). :D
  • I was able to get awesome MPG on a 2500 mile Yellowstone trip this summer.

If we end up getting the Hybrid, it will be really interesting comparing the two. Of course, the Hybrid will be my wife's car..but I should be able to sneak some drives in there. :D

1 - 20 of 31 Posts