Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed that there are still a lot of Hyundais being made without stop-start (idle-stop) technology. I've also noticed that even the new models of Hyundai (2020 i10 for example) don't all have stop start tech (maybe none of them have even). Why is this? I'm mostly interested in air quality and as the idling happens in the places where people are usually in the highest concentrations I see this as a way to improve air quality in the places will benefit from it the most (traffic lights, schools, taxi ranks).

·
Registered
94 Posts
The '20 Soul we drove has Stop/Start tech . Can be turned off . Didn't mind it , probably due to having a 2nd generation Prius . Hyundai / Kia should apply it to all their vehicles . Hopefully later models produced in 2020 and beyond .

·
Registered
94 Posts
This tech has been in use over a decade . Many countries have it due to high gas cost and help with lowering emissions . Don't like , flick the switch to OFF .

·
Registered
21 Posts
We bought a Santa Fe XL w/ package and it does not have it!!! NICE, I hate that feature!! I'm not really concern since this new vehicles are already very clean during idle.Anyway, I don't think it is to much to help with emissions but for fuel economy.

·
Registered
192 Posts
It's still newer technology. Not like my car needs it much since it's a PZEV. But I don't care for many of these new features because it can make you lazy. So if you ever drive a different car that doesn't have the features you may have problems.

Not sure about start-stop to be honest, does that put more wear-and-tear on a part?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hmmm, interesting. Thank you for your responses. I don't think that people really answered my question specifically though...why does Hyundai not actually just add it to all models. Are some engines capable and others not? Or is it because consumers don't like this feature and it is not popular?

As a general aside, I don't think people really understand the main benefit for start stop; it is less about the emissions over time and less about whether it is a nice technology or not. It is more about improving air quality and hence the health of people with respiratory problems (heart, brain disease, cancers and all the othe related problems that accompany poor air quality). This is because the 10 percent of emissions savings made by start stop are made in the most populated areas.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
*most populated areas being; idling at pedestrian traffic lights, waiting outside stations, high streets, taxi ranks,

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Another reason, is the technology more expensive? Is it a way of reducing the cost of a car for consumers and would consumers prefer to spend that money on a heated seat for instance? It would be great to get an insight from someone who makes these decisions but I guess there are only a few people who are involved and that decision making process isn't open to us.

·
Registered
12,638 Posts
why does Hyundai not actually just add it to all models.
Are some engines capable and others not?
I think all engines these days will be capable of supporting stop/start.

atree said:
is it because consumers don't like this feature and it is not popular?
I'm sure that is probably one reason why it's not fitted to all models. Not everyone views stop/start as a positive feature. Going by the number of folk who ask me to disable it I'd say most folk who actually have it don't want it.

atree said:
is the technology more expensive?
I don't think stop/start would add significant cost to the build of the car, so I doubt cost is really a factor.

atree said:
10 percent of emissions savings made by start stop are made in the most populated areas.
I'm not convinced stop/start actually does anything to improve air quality. And 10% of nothing is nothing.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I noticed that there are still a lot of Hyundais being made without stop-start (idle-stop) technology. I've also noticed that even the new models of Hyundai (2020 i10 for example)
You mention the i10. If it is a 1.2 engine with 4sp auto, the transmission would need a rework to make it possible.

I have an i20 with DCT. It makes ISG a right pain. A car with a manual box only turns the engine off when the driver puts it in neutral and releases the clutch. Fair enough.

With DCT, ISG cuts in whenever stopped in drive with the foot on the brake. So arrive at a junction, pause to check it's clear and the engine stops. It then takes about a second from lifting the brake to moving.
When you know you're going to wait more than a few seconds, put it in neutral with the handbrake on and... it restarts and sits there idling.
Also, leave it in drive, put handbrake on, take foot of the brake and it now runs, not at 1000rpm, like a car with a torque converter, but at 1500rpm, cooking the clutch. How difficult is it to hold the clutch fully released when the HB is on, just like a human?

Sigh.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for your suggestions Autospark. I'm guessing you're a mechanic so thanks for your insight (my friends who have the technology here in the south east of England usually keep theirs switched on but...I don’t know so many people who have start stop tech and none with a Hyundai!). I created a new post 'does start stop reduce pollution' as I wanted to give my insights into air pollution and the 'potential' with start stop.

Ace Demon - thanks for your insight too, sounds like it needs a bit of fine tuning! (how old is your i20? do you keep it on or off on your i20?)

I really love my 64 i10 but it is a shame with the stop start, especially as I've been getting into some air quality stuff for my local neighbourhood meetings. Been wondering why the new ones don't have ISG but it seems like there are reasons!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Ace Demon - thanks for your insight too, sounds like it needs a bit of fine tuning! (how old is your i20? do you keep it on or off on your i20?)
It's nearly new. It's only been a few months since they released the 1.0T with DCT. I turn ISG off when waiting to get out of difficult junctions and in slow moving queues. Turn it back on when the pressure is off.

I mentioned that it takes a second to get moving. Previously I had a Fiesta with 4sp auto and got used to the way the torque converter launched the car. I knew DCT would be slower to launch (and it is explained in the handbook), so accepted some hit. Obviously, it is more consistent than humans shuffling their feet but the extra delay from ISG wasn't anticipated.

Apart from that, it is the the i20's turbo that delivers the real difference I was expecting. The Fiesta was classic small revvy European, with a decent power figure but a big hole between 2-4k rpm. At last, a petrol engine that fills it in.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That is pretty bad with the stop-start delay. I think at those junctions where there are no lights and you are looking for a gap in the traffic it wouldn't save you much anyway. I think the savings for stop-start come in when you are at major traffic light goverened junctions. Hopefully decently designed regenerative hybrids will take over anyway.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It seems the 2020 i10 Hyundai will have start-stop fitted as standard so maybe Hyundai are just a bit slow. Funny that the european regulations don't enforce it though.

·
Registered
15 Posts
It seems the 2020 i10 Hyundai will have start-stop fitted as standard so maybe Hyundai are just a bit slow.
Well, elsewhere, there is muttering about the TC auto being dropped and replaced with an AMT. The TC auto was incompatible without major rework so the AMT is the result.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts