Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Someone has put a nice scratch on the trunk of my Phantom black Sonata. Scratch is about 4 inches long and not very deep. You can barely feel the groove with your fingernail .

I figured one of those "scratch removers" should work for this, but personally I have never used one that actually did the job. Figured I would ask if anyone has sucessfully used a scratch remover product.

Any recomendations? I heard Maguires makes a good one?

·
Banned
630 Posts
the rule of thumb for scratch removal is, if a fingernail can catch the scratch, you can't just buff it out. you'll need to apply touch up, wet sand down, paint again, wetsand, clear, wetsand, and then polish until mirror shine.

if you can't catch the scratch with your nail, then ANY good cleaner wax, or hand glaze will remove the scratch for you. The Meguiar's Scratch X is OK in my book but overhyped.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I also have the Black. My experience has been if you look at it hard, it will scratch. The answer really depends on how you define getting it fixed. Personally, I'd hit it with a clay bar. If that doesn't work, try a compound. If that doesn't do it, take it to a good detailer, and finally a good body shop. Imo, a good detailer will use a machine on it and most of his products DON'T come from the local parts store or WM. And he has year's of experience (not your wife's second cousin under the pine tree in his backyard)

Good luck with it. I'm being AR about how mine looks but I'm hoping to get past that. If not, I'm going to spend every Sat from now until I get rid of it cleaning the stupid thing.

·
Banned
630 Posts
QUOTE (snapper41 @ Aug 9 2010, 05:44 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=348223
Didn't Billy promote a magic scratch pin?
if something seems too good to be true, usually is. I watched that infomercial the other night. He shows a door being opened very aggessively into another car's body. Then he proceeds to remove the scratch with the pen. But what he doesn't show u is the big a$$ dent that the door left behind that scratch. no pen is going to remove a dent!

·
Banned
630 Posts
QUOTE (snapper41 @ Aug 9 2010, 05:44 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=348223
Didn't Billy promote a magic scratch pin?
if something seems too good to be true, usually is. I watched that infomercial the other night. He shows a door being opened very aggessively into another car's body. Then he proceeds to remove the scratch with the pen. But what he doesn't show u is the big a$$ dent that the door left behind that scratch. no pen is going to remove a dent!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts