Hyundai Forums banner

Who Has Over 200,000 On Their Elantra Or Hyandai?

121K views 132 replies 95 participants last post by  bmosk 
#1 ·
Hello,
Just curios who has over 200,000 miles on there Elantra.
Please do not hijack this forum and turn it into a maintance issue forum.
In other words I know it depends on how often you change the oil etc.
In General I am just curious who has high mileage on their ? Elantra's
I know a few people that have over 250,000 on there Honda's and Toyotas.
Do you think that Hyandi's are just as good?
I am a recent Hyundai Elantra Station wagon owner I love the car I bought it with 50,000 miles and Hoping to get at least 200,000 on it.
If you got your transmission or engine replaced you do not count LOL.

So reply back with how many miles you have on your car I am curious.
Jonathan.

#4 ·
We have 175,000 right now on our 1999 elantra. We have been very hard on this car moving a lot, various terrrain. We now live at 8000 feet at the end of 6 miles of dirt road, and we really haven't done the type of maintenence we should for it. We just took it in to have some new struts and had them check out all the main systems. They flushed the transmission lines and just some simple stuff but the mechanic said it is in tip top shape!! We are really impressed with this car. We have had many toyotas over the years and this car has kept on going with far less put into it. Not only do i expect to make 200,000 but i really can't see any indication it couldn't do 300,000. :) We are buying a Tucson this week to replace our 4 wheel drive subaru for the winters. The elantra has held up much better than the subaru.

#6 ·
hey Jonathan,
I bought a 1994 Hyundai Lantra GL which has done like 128000 kms on it. I bought this like 2 weeks back. This is the first time ever i bought an used car. I am experiencing problems with the car since day 1. I mean the car looks so very good...and I am pretty impressed with the features. But its just that the car refuses to start on some ocassions and the check engine light which comes back often. Well, other than that the car is pretty ok. But my friends suggested me to sell it off as soon as I can so as to avoid any further problems. They say I should go for Toyota or Ford. I am still a student and am finding it hard to carry out the expensive repair works. I am just thinking of selling it off and look out for a different one. What do u think of this guys? Would it be a good idea to just sell it off or fix these problems and keep driving?

Confused,
Raj

#7 ·
Well Raj,
We are in the same boat. I am a student too n its the first time that I bought a 2nd hand car. It is a 96 Lantra that has gone 169,000 km thus far. First impression, wow impressive. But now, problems after problems surface. First, I had to change the gasket coz there was some leaking, then temperature gauge goes haywire, Now, the clutch slipped. 3 problems and Ive juz owed it for like 2 mths. I cant possibly spend so much on unnecessary failures but at the same time, Im on limited budget to change to perhaps a Toyota. The clunky gear especially is driving me nuts. Do you think I should sell too? How much u bought it for? I got mine for $3,800 here in Perth.
Anyway, I think my friend had the same prob as u do. He cant start his 96 Lantra on occasions too. He had it done at the mechanic for $200. Apparently, they had to configure some computer stuffs abt e car, cant exactly remember.

#81 ·
hey Jonathan,
I bought a 1994 Hyundai Lantra GL which has done like 128000 kms on it. I bought this like 2 weeks back. This is the first time ever i bought an used car. I am experiencing problems with the car since day 1. I mean the car looks so very good...and I am pretty impressed with the features. But its just that the car refuses to start on some ocassions and the check engine light which comes back often. Well, other than that the car is pretty ok. But my friends suggested me to sell it off as soon as I can so as to avoid any further problems. They say I should go for Toyota or Ford. I am still a student and am finding it hard to carry out the expensive repair works. I am just thinking of selling it off and look out for a different one. What do u think of this guys? Would it be a good idea to just sell it off or fix these problems and keep driving?

Confused,
Raj
Many of you guys drive 20 year old cars, it's normal for a car of that age to start to fall apart and have some mechanical problems ;) wow I'm amazed to see 1994 Elantra still running.

#9 ·
yep those are miles. We haven't had any problems with the brakes we had pads done once a couple years back and then we just had new ones this week when we had everything checked out, but the brakes were working fine even needing new pads. Only thing we have really done for the car that some people may not do is put a quart of duralube in there about once a year. Aside from the brake pads new tires and changing the oil that is all we ever did on it until this week with the new struts and they did some maintenence stuff like flush the transmission, And because our lives have been so crazy the last few years the oil changes were often long after they should have been.

The one thing I do with any car I have now may sound really odd to most people but the world is full of magnetic fields and everything is affected by this. Humans emit their own magnetic field and ours our the most unstable due to our emotions. very emotional people have more car problems and more computer problems, basically anything mechanical or electronic. So i always visualize the car in it's own bubble where its energy field is ideal for it and it cannot be effected by the magnetic fluctations of any of the people it comes in contact with. I do it with my computer too and since I started I no longer have computer problems.

#10 ·
I did some research on the web. In 1996 Hyundai started building their own engines, it had 13 % more power than the previous engine and further improvements in quality. In 1997 more improvments in terms of handling and noise, vibration and thickness of floor steel. The engines in pre-1996 cars were powered by Mitsubishi. There were alot of problems in these. Take a look at intellichoice.com i think it will be helpful . You cant do enough research. In my view i would sell off pre 96 cars, thats me though. Please feel free to correct me if iam wrong or it could be diffrent in Australia or Europe.

#11 ·
Well, I have 165K miles on my 00 Elantra, and aside from some owner-induced wrench damage, she's been fairly reliable. I had to have the tranny rebuilt at 155K miles, but that is about average for an automatic. I've had the timing belt changed twice, and so far, the water pump has been good enough to keep. That is a big change compared to other cars where the water pump is automaticly replaced. I've had minor brake problems with the rear calipers, and one of the radiator fans recently went out to lunch. Considering that I drive this car 120+ miles a day, she's treated me rather well.

#13 ·
hi. guys
I have almoast 234000 km on my 1999 elantra station wagen.
I am a second owner { i bought it with 232000km on} It has standard transmition
and as far as I know, it si the original one. Timing belt has been replaced twice.
It is still running strong like before, does not use oil at all. The only problem is,
when engine is cold, and I need to "floor it", It seems to flood for a sec or so, so there is no power for that short period of time, then it picks up and accelerates wonderfull. The problem is gone once the engine is warmed up. I still would like to know , what causes it. Other than that, I love it. It needs 8litres on highway. 10 in the city/ per 100km ofcource.

#14 ·
hey,

I drive a 97 elantra wagon, and I am going to hit the 300,000 mile mark on it this sumer. that is with the original engine, tranny. the only major work that has been done is body work, ignition coil, fuel system, and regular maintenance! I think I have a pretty **** reliable car. the best of the litter!

#15 ·
Keep the comments coming that is great to here some of you are having luck with your Elantras. I would like to hear from someone who has over 300,000 miles on there car it would be interesting.

For those of you that keep having problems I would consider another car. Sometimes it does not matter what type of car you have brand make or model once it becomes a money pit it is time to let it go.
My rule of thumb is if you are spending more per year than you would for car payments of a new car it is time to let that car go.

Hope this helps.

Jonathan.

#19 ·
Jonathan,
I have a 97 Elantra Wagon with 129K on it. I have had to replace 2 of the injectors but so far :57: that's all. However, since I crossed 126K the "Service engine" light has been on. I am told, from an analyzer, that it's due to leaky emission. I too hope to get at least 200k out of it.
Good Luck.

#20 ·
my Elantra did 198000 Kms on a standard Engine then I added the turbo with NO engine mods except the lower comp pistons and it just clocked over 250000Kms with the 2.0 engine and turbo, then broke due to oil leak.
Now got 1800 engine in with low comp pistons and expect to make a good few thousand K's in competition before replacing again.

I'd say if I had not tirboed the motor, it would still be going on its way to 400000Kms...I do almost 100000Kms a year.
There is no reason to think a hyndai engine is not made to last. It is!!

Grant

#24 ·
My wife bought a 1996 J3 Elantra 1.6 GLS new. Fantastic on paper, all the mod cons, seemed like great value for money.....ZAR65,000 ($10,000).
I sold it last year for ZAR20,000 ($3000). It had 170,000 kms on the odo. New cars in that class are now R150,000. Basically, I gave it away for that price.
The front side-shaft seals and bearings were shot, the tranny was leaking oil, I'd had all the brake discs replaced, the aircon was toast (blown compressor), and the engine was using oil and down on compression (rings and cylinders worn). All the interior plastic door handles/catches had broken off, the centre-cubby lid was broken, and the driver-seat material was worn thru. Things kept on falling off. It had used/abused 2 starter-motors, 2 alternators, and 3 clutches. It was serviced at Hyundai SA for the first 3 years, and thereafter by a VERY good accredited service company, backed by Shell. Full service history didn't help squat.

I had a choice: spend $3000 trying to fix the old lump, or use the money as a down-payment. I sold the old thing.

As an example: my 1998 Nissan Pathfinder (Sani in my country), with a lemon engine (2.7 D that was given a Turbo by Nissan SA to try and get SOME power out of it) has around 250,000 kms on the odo. The only things I have had to do: 2 x new clutches, 2 x aircon re-gas and new O-rings, 1xalternator, 1xstarter-motor, shocks, and rear brake drum replacement. I swop the oil every 7,500 to 10,000 kms, and have a full service every 15,000 to 20,000 kms, if it's lucky.
Oh, yes: a mechanic screwed up and cooked the turbo bearings: not the car's fault.
Since 2004, it has had to do around 20kms per day on a BAD farm road. And it starts first time. OK, it's getting a little grumpy these days, but all the bits haven't fallen off. It gets 500kg of horse-feed loaded into it once a week, and hauls 5 hi-school kids to school and back every day. Now THAT'S a car!

My wife just bought a 2005 Terracan 3.5 V6, with 48,000 km on the odo. After a week, the ABS unit malfunctioned, and the brakes locked up solid. Hyundai SA says "Wow, we haven't seen that before", and are now disputing the factory warrantee and maintenance contract. They have ordered some part from Korea, we now have to wait for 21 days before itarrives. I think I've got another piece of crap from Korea in my yard......
In the meantime, the poor Nissan just keeps on lumbering around the farm, backed up by a 1984 Land Rover V8. GO FIGURE!

#25 ·
Hi,

Are you really talking about 200000 miles or would it be rether kms? Anyway, my '97 Elantra SW 5sp has 216 000km on it and still runs very well. That is very good for a Hyundai. I would like to bring it to 300 000km with the original engine. Since last year, I use only Synthetic oil in it, in order to limit engine wear and I also add, every 10-15 gas tank refuiling, a quantity of injector cleaner and this, since the beginning. Seems to work.

A+
Martin

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.