Hyundai Forums banner

41 - 60 of 133 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
2000 Lantra in Australia - had it from new. just done 183k now

No issues but a remote for the immobiliser just buggered up and it has a slight lifter type noise from the top but everything (clutch/brakes etc) genuine. About to replace the timing belt for the second time :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
I was given a 1999 Elantra Wagon 1 month ago with just over 104,000 miles. So far I needed a new power steering pump ($442), new window regulator ($376), new horn ($40 - installed myself), and as iI type this a new Throttle Position Sensor is being installed ($178). I have all the service records from the original owner and was shocked to see that most of the car was replaced while under warranty. I really miss my 1991 Accord that had 163,000 miles when it was becoming too rusty to drive. I only had to put $1,000 into it the Honda over the 4 years I owned it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
1996 1.6GLS Elantra (Manual transmission)- 245 000km
I Bought the car at 180 000km. So far I've had to replace the front Right CV, and more recently the radiator. Other than that, Ive only needed to service it (including brake pads etc). Nothing major. The clutch is still the original factory fitted clutch, the engine has never been overhauled and I never have to top up oil between services.

The car averages about 13km p/l. (a mix of highway and city driving).

One problem I've had is that one of my spark leads gave in, a replacement set would have cost ZAR400 so I improvised by using a spark lead from another car with a minor modification. This has not affected my fuel economy and its been working for the last two years.

Last year my car felt as if it was losing power, I was advised that the nuts on the exhaust manifold on these cars often
come loose and after replacing these with new copper nuts the power issue was resolved.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have over 208000kms on my 1999 Elantra up here in Nova Scotia Canada. Never babied it, drive it year round and often. There is no rust and had my first mechanical problem this week. (regular maintenence excluded) My idiot lights fade in and out while driving (battery,parking brake,high beam indicator and daytime running lights shut off randomly) Car runs fine otherwise. Other than this first problem can't say anything bad. Still have the original exhaust. If you have any ideas on my lighting problem I'd be greatly appreciated.

upperm04

·
Registered
1 Posts
1998 Elantra Wagon is at 191k, tranny (auto) rebuilt at 65k, pretty regular maintanence since then. (Door handles especially prone)

Timing belt just went and fuel pump may be on its way out. Any insights on practicality of making repairs? Leaning towards sinking the $ in since many have had success. Thanks for any guidance.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I recently saw an advertisement on a local classified site advertising a 1996 Elantra 1.6 with 398 000 km. I was totally stumped.
I have attached a caption of the advert below:

"Hyundai Elantra 1.6: 1996, automatic windows, power steering, central locking (with alarm), radio/ tape player. 398 000km with full service history up untill 135 000km. Please contact Liaan on:"

·
Registered
9 Posts
my 96 elantra wagon has 280,000km on it. I got it with 27k on it and used it every day for work. No major repairs and NO shop service. So far 2 timing belts, 1 altonator, 3 sets of plug wires and plugs, 1 clutch(replace with exidy at about 120k), 2 sets of front brake pads(still stock rotors)and 2 tierod ends. My job as a copier tech meant that the the back was always full of boxes and parts, stop and go city driving and general wear and tear. It has since been retired for work duty but is now our beater to haul stuff around. I fly RC airplane and can get up to 7 planes in this little guy including my 1/4 scale cub with a 9' wingspan(2 piece wing). The thing still gets 600km/tank and not a leak anywhere. Just about time for t belt number 3

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2000 and I have about 210,000 miles on mine

I have a clutch issue, the car runs great except that the clutch does not engage properly on every shift

and it is leaking a little

any suggestions or help please

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2000 Elantra and have 325,000 miles on it.
at 300,000, the interior started falling apart, and the radiator rusted out.
recently, the instrument cluster fried and i am in the middle of replacing it now.
it's like a member of the family now and am replacing things as they wear out.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I have a 2001 Accent with...78,000 miles. My goal is over 200,000 miles, though I've only put 4,000 on it so far. I've changed the timing belt, cv joints, drive belts, valve cover gasket, oil pan gasket, transmission seal, a new engine (with 38,000 miles on the engine), and transmission work and brakes soon.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am just coming up on 203,000 on my '01 Elantra GT with the original engine and automatic transmission. Just had to have the head gasket re-sealed and have had the timing belt changed out every 90,000 miles. Also have had two transmission sensors fail (one under warranty). It is not garaged and the interior and exterior still look great. Figure she has another 80-100,000 miles left in her...

·
Registered
2 Posts
QUOTE (jgg765 @ Apr 19 2005, 07:02 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=11087
Hello,
Just curios who has over 200,000 miles on there Elantra.
Please do not hijack this forum and turn it into a maintance issue forum.
In other words I know it depends on how often you change the oil etc.
In General I am just curious who has high mileage on their ? Elantra's
I know a few people that have over 250,000 on there Honda's and Toyotas.
Do you think that Hyandi's are just as good?
I am a recent Hyundai Elantra Station wagon owner I love the car I bought it with 50,000 miles and Hoping to get at least 200,000 on it.
If you got your transmission or engine replaced you do not count LOL.

So reply back with how many miles you have on your car I am curious.
Jonathan.
I have 209,000 on my 2003 1.8 Hyundai Lavita which has an Elantra engine. Had the radiator replaced in 2008 and in April 2009 I had my gearbox repaired. Apparently there was a broken/chipped gear where the gearbox had to be cleaned out. Last week, the gearbox had a bearing collapsed and I had it towed back to the workshop (a private Transmission and Gearbox repairer) who just fixed it under warranty. I am rather wary of the Hyundai's problems with their gearbox and tranmissions. My last Hyundai, a Sonata also had issues with the gearbox. On the day I traded it in to the car dealer, the car could not engage into reverse. Doubt I'll get another Hyundai in a hurry. Wonder if others in the Forum had gearbox issues.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have 110K miles on my 2002 Accent 1.6 auto. Did Tune up , brakes ,T Belt and water pump since i was there. . Looking to get 200 K miles before i sell it

·
Registered
87 Posts
My 2000 Elantra Wagon just rolled over 151K Miles on the original engine and automatic transmission, and judging from the fact that I've had to sink about $1K into it every month for the last two years, it may not make it to 200K miles due to complications involving my pistol grip Mossberg. My 1984 F150 just rolled over 582K Miles, though, and it only costs me about $500 a month... in fuel.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi
My 1997 - 1.8GL station wagon gave me effortless 429 800km. I bough new and run this car hard on mostly long distances in South Africa.
My best car ever

·
Registered
8 Posts
Mine is 1996 elantra/avante and 222475 kms and still kicking. the only prob i have now is that, i guess my cooling system is in trouble the radiator retainer hose is always cold!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just turned 250000 on our 2000, still have original brakes on rear (paper thin), only major problem was trans at 170000. Uses no oil.
Larry

·
Registered
3 Posts
i own a 99 model hyundai lantra and i have the service history and still have the original engine and im currently up to 256, 587 kms

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have 198,786 miles on my 2000 Elantra so I'm almost there. I changed all fluids regularly and completed all maintenance myself.

Major issue: Had bearing failure in OD/4th gear, clean junk out and replaced bearing
Annoying issue: window regulators break, warped rotors
Other: replaced crankcase position sensor, CV joints, belts, timing belt with water pump, struts

41 - 60 of 133 Posts