Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New charcoal cannister, purge valve, vent valve, hoses blown out cleaned throttle body has never over heated still white smoke from tail pipe and somewhere in front by windshield on left runs rough. Running out of options got code for EVAP leak and gas cap

·
Registered
47 Posts
sounds like it may have a head gasket leak. is it a v6 or 4cly? like spark said above^ check your coolant, add if needed and keep an eye on the level. also its getting into colder months and it may be steam from combustion, give the smoke a smell also. if its sweet it may be coolant but not always sometimes the type of gas you run usually higher octane or from particular gas stations can cause a sweet smell and a smoke. Whens the last time you had an oil change? I have the v6 and if I let my oil change interval get a bit far out I get smoke. good luck

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
sounds like it may have a head gasket leak. is it a v6 or 4cly? like spark said above^ check your coolant, add if needed and keep an eye on the level. also its getting into colder months and it may be steam from combustion, give the smoke a smell also. if its sweet it may be coolant but not always sometimes the type of gas you run usually higher octane or from particular gas stations can cause a sweet smell and a smoke. Whens the last time you had an oil change? I have the v6 and if I let my oil change interval get a bit far out I get smoke. good luck
All oil changes tire rotations ext are always done on time this was a one owner car untill I bought in in Jan I always do these things on time

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
Did you say P0455 large evap leak?
Did you do a smoke test to see if you do have a large evap leak?
Older vehicles may have rust. Especially the ones living in the salt belt.
Gas cap, fuel filler neck, hoses, and even the pressure sensor could be suspect
Hey, even a broken wire which keeps the vent valve open can cause this code to pop up.
The valve may not be bad but the wiring is??
I would do the smoke test first.
A scanner with bi-directional controls could help determine what is going on (cost of scanner prohibitive).
I wish you luck. I had a small evap leak on my Elantra.
Just too much rust. Structural cross member was falling apart in my hands.
Tired of fixing that thing trying to keep it alive
In the end, I just had to get rid of the 2001 Elantra.
Got myself a 2007 Honda CRV and have been quite happy.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Did you say P0455 large evap leak?
Did you do a smoke test to see if you do have a large evap leak?
Older vehicles may have rust. Especially the ones living in the salt belt.
Gas cap, fuel filler neck, hoses, and even the pressure sensor could be suspect
Hey, even a broken wire which keeps the vent valve open can cause this code to pop up.
The valve may not be bad but the wiring is??
I would do the smoke test first.
A scanner with bi-directional controls could help determine what is going on (cost of scanner prohibitive).
I wish you luck. I had a small evap leak on my Elantra.
Just too much rust. Structural cross member was falling apart in my hands.
Tired of fixing that thing trying to keep it alive
In the end, I just had to get rid of the 2001 Elantra.
Got myself a 2007 Honda CRV and have been quite happy.
Thanks I didn't do smoke test !

1 - 7 of 7 Posts