Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Goodmorning everyone
I have a problem with my santa fe 2008 2.2 114 kw 4x4, I turn on the car and it's all right after about ten kilometers it starts to smoke white but the performances are always optimal.
I realized that if I turn off the machine and turn it back on it doesn't smoke anymore ... I went to mechanics who tell me change the turbine and fap by spending a lotto of money, but the problem didn't go away ...
I kindly ask you to help me solve the problem thanks

·
Registered
841 Posts
turbine and fap by spending a lotto of money,
I realise there's likely a lost in translation issue here, you spent a lot of money replacing the Turbo, but what is FAP? Was the turbo noisy? Was oil consumption high?

I'm thinking it could be a bad injector and unburnt diesel. I just swapped out an injector on my D4EA which is essentially the same design just shorter stroke and I had white smoke once it warmed up. I'm lucky I have a clone copy of GDS and did an injector analysis which showed #1 was way out on the fuel adaptation . Change of injector and it came back to normal and white smoke went.

maybe the mechanic you went to is not the best choice if they incorrectly diagnosed the turbo. What sort of distance has the motor done out of Curiosity?

Any issues wit the coolant or loss of coolant?

·
Registered
12,685 Posts
Is it smoke or steam? Are you loosing coolant?
Steam and coolant loss could be an EGR cooler leak (or a head gasket leak I suppose).
White smoke is often a symptom of unburnt fuel entering the exhaust, probably caused by a leaking fuel injector. An injector leak-off test might give you a clue to where the problem lies....if you don't have access to a dealer lever diagnostic scan tool.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Is it smoke or steam? Are you loosing coolant?
Steam and coolant loss could be an EGR cooler leak (or a head gasket leak I suppose).
White smoke is often a symptom of unburnt fuel entering the exhaust, probably caused by a leaking fuel injector. An injector leak-off test might give you a clue to where the problem lies....if you don't have access to a dealer lever diagnostic scan tool.
I should try and find a youtube I stumbled upon on the EGR, think it was a Kiwi who went through a whole head gasket job to find the water jacket in the EGR cooler had cracked. I found it most interesting and a good example of how easy it would be to go down that path.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I guys
The car have 250000 km I checked the cooler liquid and it is full and I don't think the head gasket is broken
I changed the turbocharger and the catalytic system because was full
The strange thing is when I see the car is smoking, i turn it off and on again and it doesn't smoke anymore...
I checked with a diagnosis tool bat it doesn't find any problem...

·
Registered
12,685 Posts
the water jacket in the EGR cooler had cracked.
That's quite a common fault on CRDi engines. More so now that they are also fitted with DPFs which require super hot exhaust gas to burn off the soot during a regen. That must put a lot of thermal stress on the EGR system.

·
Registered
841 Posts
That's quite a common fault on CRDi engines. More so now that they are also fitted with DPFs which require super hot exhaust gas to burn off the soot during a regen. That must put a lot of thermal stress on the EGR system.
I think that's why I love my old FD CRDi, no DPF over here on those and bullet proof if you service them correctly. I am a little nervous with the others (i40 and this Sonata I'm doing) about DPF. Think I better keep the DPF and EGR from the wreck I'm stripping:D
I stripped the inlet side of this D4EA, and OMG, it was almost totally clogged from TB to the swirl flap and valves with gummy tar, oil and soot mixture. 220000Km

·
Registered
841 Posts
I guys
The car have 250000 km I checked the cooler liquid and it is full and I don't think the head gasket is broken
I changed the turbocharger and the catalytic system because was full
The strange thing is when I see the car is smoking, i turn it off and on again and it doesn't smoke anymore...
I checked with a diagnosis tool bat it doesn't find any problem...
What diagnosis tool though? Just scanning for codes? Or are we talking deeper level looking at live data?

I had no fault codes with my bad injector.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts