Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

So far in 10 months, I have driven about 18,000 miles and counting.

Last Saturday while cleaning the engine compartment, i saw white powdery deposit on the radiator coolant pipe. Please see picture.

Same afternoon, went to the local dealer and showed it to technician. He told me it is normal and not to worry :confused:, how can it be normal? there must be some reason/s to happen such thing, right?

Any of you have seen on your Santa Fe? Or do you know the reason/s for it?

Any suggestion / comment will be appreciated.

Thanks,
santafeBM

Attachments

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
i was expecting a leak and the deposits be in one place...drying coolant leaving behind deposits.

but this is evenly spread over the tube. if i had to guess i'd say that the tubing is breaking down. i'd bring it to the attention of the dealer at the very least. tubing is cheap so they shouldn't mind replacing that under warranty. that and it's a 5 minute job.

·
Registered
3,429 Posts
Hello,

Same afternoon, went to the local dealer and showed it to technician. He told me it is normal and not to worry :confused:, how can it be normal? there must be some reason/s to happen such thing, right?

Any suggestion / comment will be appreciated.

Thanks,
santafeBM
Well since it's Halloween the tech's comment on that residue being "normal" reminds me of the dialogue in a fav movie of mine - Young Frankenstein.

Remember when the monster goes beserk and Gene Wilder asks Igor which brain he took - Abby Normal's brain, :)

Looks like residue from a coolant leak of some sort and not entirely normal.

Such a creature would have to have an enormous - well you fill in the blanks

Happy Halloween.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I think it's just the release agent from the mold when they form the hose. I see it all the time on radiator hoses. It's like a wax film.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
I think it's just the release agent from the mold when they form the hose. I see it all the time on radiator hoses. It's like a wax film.
+1 This.

And the Hyundai tech was right.

Take a damp rag and wipe it off. Let it dry. Wipe another rag sprayed with ArmorAll, 303 (the best stuff), or your favorite rubber protectant. Bet you never see it again.

·
Registered
3,429 Posts
I know tires are vulcanized in a mold - but I thought rubber hose was extruded then vulcanized in an autoclave .

Work for Dunlop tire at one time so somewhat familiar with rubber and tire manufacturing.

But come to think of it sometimes brand new hoses do have a trace of powder on them - but usually not as dense as in the posted pic.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you all for the comments and suggestions.

On this Saturday, I will wipe it clean and apply wax. Lets see what happens. I will keep you posted.

Thanks.

·
2,258 Posts
its normal. happens to many-many hoses when they go through hot/cold cycles. its also road grime drying up on your hoses from puddle splashes, salty rain, etc.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts