Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everybody

I've a new Santa Fe bought in March this year.
Car works perfectly but i just noticed a whistling noise problem coming from the top/back of the car (it si located over the roof) when reaching speed of 70mph or above.
I removed the roof rack cross rails but still this noise remains. I feel it is something related to the aerodynamic of this car and the particular roof rails system.
Tried to tape some connections between the rails and the car roof but nothing is changing.
I drive mostly on highway all days for work and this problem is driving me mad.
I took back car to the dealer, he checkd (but i'm not sure) telling that everything is "normal"!
As anybody experienced the same problem? Any suggestion for a possible solution?
Thanks everybidy for help

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, i already tried with no success.
It sounds like air flowing through a glass bottle neck, just to describe the problem and is a "pulsing sound", starting like a "tic tic" around 60mph and become more and more frequent at higher speed.

·
3,861 Posts
It's possible the sound is being produced some where else and appears to be coming from the roof. I'm thinking windshield wipers or wiper arms, mirrors or maybe something under the vehicle? Look at the whole front grill area, lots of air flow in that area.

·
Registered
326 Posts
QUOTE (wymi @ Apr 22 2010, 09:00 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=315608
It's possible the sound is being produced some where else and appears to be coming from the roof. I'm thinking windshield wipers or wiper arms, mirrors or maybe something under the vehicle? Look at the whole front grill area, lots of air flow in that area.
Make sure all the rubber bungs are fitted in the siderails of the chasis [where you would fit steps] any of these would give the same effect as blowing across the top of an emty bottle,make sure nothings come adrift and is hanging down underneath, check that all the door and window seals are fitted correctly and make sure the rear windows are shutting tightly??.

Gazza!!!

·
Registered
202 Posts
Sunroof? Check to see the glass is flush with the roofline and the seal is good. Even if it doesn't leak water, (water that gets past the outer seal is carried away through the front pillar by a small tube), it may still leak enough air to make noise at high speeds.

Another thing - to check if it's cabin related (meaning from air entering or leaving the cabin) try turning on the recirc. button to make the air in the cabin static. If this makes it go away, or diminish any, the noise is related to a cabin seal of some sort, not an external flow disruption. If not, it's probably external.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everybody for advices.

It is definitely from the roof. I checked all weather strippings of door and windows seals and everything seems to be OK.

Gazza, what are you referring about when you say "rubber bungs fitted in the siderails"?

Thanks

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
QUOTE (ThunderLizard @ Apr 22 2010, 09:43 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=315801
Sunroof? Check to see the glass is flush with the roofline and the seal is good. Even if it doesn't leak water, (water that gets past the outer seal is carried away through the front pillar by a small tube), it may still leak enough air to make noise at high speeds.

Another thing - to check if it's cabin related (meaning from air entering or leaving the cabin) try turning on the recirc. button to make the air in the cabin static. If this makes it go away, or diminish any, the noise is related to a cabin seal of some sort, not an external flow disruption. If not, it's probably external.

I checked today by turning the recirc. button: it worked, the noise has stopped. So it must be a cabin SEAL as for your advice. Thanks!

·
Registered
5,886 Posts
Are you sure it isn't just a closed interior vent somewhere? Sometimes they whistle when closed.

·
Registered
326 Posts
QUOTE (tuotics @ Apr 23 2010, 02:11 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=315856
Thanks everybody for advices.

It is definitely from the roof. I checked all weather strippings of door and windows seals and everything seems to be OK.

Gazza, what are you referring about when you say "rubber bungs fitted in the siderails"?

Thanks
The bungs or rubber plugs are situated in the chasis behind the sills these are to facillitate the fitting of side steps, they are about 1 inch in diameter and can be covered in underseal, if you can't see any missing you'r ok, the reason I mentioned
them was because I owned an old Wolsley and my mates used to say "they could hear me approaching from a mile away", found it was a bung missing from one of the jacking points, I was told later by a mechanic pal that it was a common problem!!

Gazza!!!

·
Registered
116 Posts
There are a/c vents in the door posts, directly behind the front seats. If one of those is closed or nearly closed (or wide open with the front console vents closed off), that could be your culprit. I encountered something similar in mine when adjusting them to get more cold air toward my dog.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks everybody for great help. I'm performing some tests and specially checking back windows seals.
Let's see what happens...

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
QUOTE (Brachiopod @ Apr 24 2010, 02:44 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=316366
I second the previous suggestion to move the roof rack bars as far back as possible.
In general, that's a good idea if there's a noise issue, but let's keep track of what the OP has said:

1. I removed the roof rack cross rails but still this noise remains.
2. I checked today by turning the recirc. button: it worked, the noise has stopped. So it must be a cabin SEAL as for your advice. Thanks!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Same here.... slight whistling noise at about 70-80 mph. Comes and goes and seems to be from the roof area. I haven't tried the recirc thing yet, but I will give it a shot to see if it cancels out our whistle too.

I was thinking to bring it back to the dealer but figured they'd probably just waste my time saying they couldn't find it.

Let us know if anyone figures this one out!

Thanks...

·
Registered
126 Posts
Same here.... slight whistling noise at about 70-80 mph. Comes and goes and seems to be from the roof area. I haven't tried the recirc thing yet, but I will give it a shot to see if it cancels out our whistle too.

I was thinking to bring it back to the dealer but figured they'd probably just waste my time saying they couldn't find it.

Let us know if anyone figures this one out!

Thanks...
Same here... Especially when colder out (denser air) and facing wind or at an angle. I'm afraid, we'll have to live with it as the longitudinal bars can't be removed (I don't have cross bars).

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Same here... Especially when colder out (denser air) and facing wind or at an angle. I'm afraid, we'll have to live with it as the longitudinal bars can't be removed (I don't have cross bars).
The longitudinal bars probably can be removed as not all trim levels get them.

·
Registered
709 Posts
The longitudinal bars probably can be removed as not all trim levels get them.
They rails are standard on all trim levels in Canada. The crossbars are not.

From the pictures I've seen, NA and Europe rails are different. In NA, they are "hugging" the roof line (there is no space between the rails and the roof). In Europe, they are raised (much like the 1st generation of the SF).

1 - 20 of 22 Posts