Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like the title says. When I fold in the mirror, the whistling goes away. It's not terribly loud but is still annoying.

Anybody else experience this?

·
Registered
33 Posts
I think it has to do with the way the car's aerodynamics are designed. I hear it too if I'm going a bit fast and the windows are down. If my music isn't too loud with the windows up, I hear it every now and then too. It used to bother me before but once I realized what it was and why, I stopped thinking about it.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
I had a similar situation with an old Kia Spectra. What I found was that it wasn't actually the mirror, but a tiny gap in the door seal. I found this by running my hand over the seal between the door and windshield A-pillar while driving and felt vibration. As I moved around/covered it up/pressed on the seal, the whistling went away. I checked meticulously and found the door window frame was slightly bent(probably from a prior owner needing door to be pried open for locked keys in car or something). I took my time making a wood frame to support the bottom half of the door open about 2-inches and then carefully pressed the top of the door with window down to bend it back straight. Never had whistling again after that.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Like the title says. When I fold in the mirror, the whistling goes away. It's not terribly loud but is still annoying.

Anybody else experience this?
Old thread, I know, but wanted to share what I did..

I just purchased a 2019 Elantra and noticed driving home on the highway the whistling sound from the driver mirror. I think I already fixed the issue, so maybe it will help you if you're still hearing the sound.

My whistling sound was coming from the black mirror base and the black top part that moves to fold the mirror in/out. When the mirror is in position, there is a tiny gap between the two pieces - if you look close, you can see light through the crack. I folded the mirror in and put a thin rubber work glove in the gap and opened the mirror to the driving position to hold the glove in place. Then I trimmed most of the excess glove (finger area) so it wouldn't be flapping around. I drove 50 mph and didn't hear anything. I just need to find a tiny, thin rubber tube or pad that will fit the area. You could probably put tape on the crack to stop wind from coming through and see it that works. Just need to come up with a permanent solution, but for me, that is what is causing the whistle sound I believe.

·
22,777 Posts
Finding those irritating whistles can be a real PITA. Like the cabin rattles. Sounds like it “over here,” but you find out it was “there.” Usually something you had completely forgotten about being in the car. LOL

I recall the day I searched high and low for anything loose. Off and on for a week! Still no luck. Seems I searched everywhere BUT the overhead drop-down sunglass storage unit. Guess what? Good guess! No more rattle. :laugh:

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
I get a wind noise at my drivers side so I will try your trick. I thought it was the door seal. But I also thought the rattle noise when new was coming from the passenger door. Tech clipped the passenger sun visor in place and that noise never returned. The blow to my Ego is still there.:laugh:

·
22,777 Posts
Tech clipped the passenger sun visor in place and that noise never returned. The blow to my Ego is still there.:laugh:
THAT, should be nominated for Post of the Day Award. Trust me, you’re not the first and certainly won’t be the last. :grin2::laugh:

·
Registered
13,275 Posts
THAT, should be nominated for Post of the Day Award. Trust me, you’re not the first and certainly won’t be the last. :grin2::laugh:

All I wanna know is, still getting your tires at the same place...;)

·
22,777 Posts
All I wanna know is, still getting your tires at the same place...;)
Indeed I am, sir! They put a big bronze plaque with my name on the back of a loveseat inside there! Every time one of my grandkids needs tires? “Here, let grandpa take it down there. Gimme your credit card.” Some secrets are best, KEPT! :laughing:

O.C.: Great to see you’re still on “this side of the dirt!” :wink: :grin:

·
Registered
13,275 Posts
Indeed I am, sir! They put a big bronze plaque with my name on the back of a loveseat inside there! Every time one of my grandkids needs tires? “Here, let grandpa take it down there. Gimme your credit card.” Some secrets are best, KEPT! :laughing:

O.C.: Great to see you’re still on “this side of the dirt!” :wink: :grin:

Been busy and no issues with my Accent until last week. Need to replace something, just don't know what!

Good to see you still alive and well, as well.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts