Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i have a terrible whining noise from the engine area in the front no clue.
Happens in gear and out of gear stops below 10MPH. Hubs,brakes, and calipers are NEW.

Any ideas? Video online is similar however noise on mine only occur after 10 MPH.

Any suggestions on how to identify the cause?

Noise...

:bigemo_harabe_net-0

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
How many miles on the car? It sounds like a power steering pump going bad or cavitating due to low fluid level, but it could also be bad alternator or belt idler pulley bearings.

Have you checked fluid levels? Have you checked the condition of all fluids? It's good maintenance practice to at least partially renew fluids after a few years and a few tens of thousands of miles, especially transmission and power steering. Over time, the fluids can pick up dirt and microscopic metal particles just because of normal wear. Personally, I'm quite anal about using OEM fluids because mixing OEM and aftermarket fluids can lead to other problems. Experience speaks.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Sounds like a car with manual transmission in reverse, I agree with DSHornet it could be PS Pump on its way out, you mention car speed but no RPM. Does not sound like this when the car is parked and RPMs are raised? It no whining noise while parked it might be a drivetrain issue idk maybe transmision related, transfer case. Can you attach a go-pro camera or something alike to the car from underneath and check if the sound is louder and closer to the gearbox or transfer case?

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
When the car is parked or in neutral or in gear at speeds less than 10MPH the noise goes away. Car has 180K miles...

·
Registered
60 Posts
I heard that noise when my power steering pump bought the farm. I am with DSHornet.

{edit} I must correct myself. It was not the pump, but the rack and pinion went bad and was leaking fluid. Fortunately, it had been replaced earlier, and was under warranty.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Car was at dealer for oil change they said its the Belt Tensioner. Guess what, I got it home replaced the tensioner myself and whining didn't go away. So much for the professionals (useless)!

If you need to replace tensioner attack it from the passenger side wheel well after removing the plastic shield.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Car was at dealer for oil change they said its the Belt Tensioner. Guess what, I got it home replaced the tensioner myself and whining didn't go away. So much for the professionals (useless)!

If you need to replace tensioner attack it from the passenger side wheel well after removing the plastic shield.
Did you ever figure this out? I have a different year/engine Santy but my car sounds very similar to this... It's getting so bad that normal non car people have commented to my wife that the car sounds terrible...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts