Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried to use the search engine to see if this problem has already been posted, but didn't find anything. Has anyone else experienced a whining noise when you first start the car? It doesn't happen every time for me, just some of the time, and seems to sometimes be associated with turning the steering wheel. It is brief and goes away, and I have no problems driving or steering ... but it's still bothersome.

Also, something a little scary happened to me today and not sure if anyone else has had the same problem. I went to put the car into park and the button on the back of the gear shifter got jammed. I was able to shift it out of drive, but it wouldn't "click" into park. I finally shoved the shifter up towards park with all my strength and it went in, and the button popped back out. Then I couldn't get it out of park, because again the button on the gear shifter would not go in so I could move the shifter down. My foot was on the brake and all of that, it just seems like the button was not going in smoothly and kept getting stuck. It could be something as simple as the button being crappy and going in at a crooked angle and getting caught on something, but either way it sucks when you can't turn off your car because it keeps telling you to put the car in park.

·
Registered
100 Posts
You know...Something like this did happen to me about 1 1/2 weeks after I got the car. I had taken a trip to visit a friend and we went on a couple hundred mile cruise,when I started the car in the morning it made this really strange whine/growl/whistle noise....??? It went away after about 5-10 seconds and I have not had it happen since. I didn't have any other issues that you described though... I know it might not help you much but I did have some strange noises like you explained.

Good luck!!
Scotty B

·
Registered
932 Posts
QUOTE (daisypusher @ Jun 14 2010, 06:13 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=333011
but either way it sucks when you can't turn off your car because it keeps telling you to put the car in park.
I'd have to read the manual closely to be sure exactly how, but you still should be able to turn off the car. There were discussions regarding the Camry and Prius than the unexpected acceleration that talked about this. There were two ways mentioned and I don't remember which was for Toyota which was from other cars, but you can try both. One way was to hold the button for 3 or 4 seconds. The other way to press and release the button rapidly 3 or 4 times. Either way, there has to be a way to turn the car off in an emergency.

·
Registered
486 Posts
There was a campaign for something ( poss full time power to the ipod plugs), any way the fix was to remove the shift knob and measure the rod distance and cut some off if it did not meet spec so that the shifter would go into park. It could be possible that this was done, or needs to be done, or was done incorrectly and the rod is sticking, causing your going into Park problems.
When I get home I can look this up and repost.

Campaign 10-01-07,

Accessory Power Remains On ( Service Campaign TB1)

·
Hyundai-Forums.com Vendor
369 Posts
I have definitely had a whining noise, but doesnt sound like its the same one. I start the car every once in a while and it basically sounds like a door creaking open, and then its done.

Also, when I was trying to take apart the shifter on my car I had that shifter button problem. I think it was caused by me pulling up and/or twisting the shifter. I pushed it back down all the way and turned it perfectly straight and no problems

·
Registered
3 Posts
QUOTE (daisypusher @ Jun 14 2010, 07:13 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=333011
I tried to use the search engine to see if this problem has already been posted, but didn't find anything. Has anyone else experienced a whining noise when you first start the car? It doesn't happen every time for me, just some of the time, and seems to sometimes be associated with turning the steering wheel. It is brief and goes away, and I have no problems driving or steering ... but it's still bothersome.

Also, something a little scary happened to me today and not sure if anyone else has had the same problem. I went to put the car into park and the button on the back of the gear shifter got jammed. I was able to shift it out of drive, but it wouldn't "click" into park. I finally shoved the shifter up towards park with all my strength and it went in, and the button popped back out. Then I couldn't get it out of park, because again the button on the gear shifter would not go in so I could move the shifter down. My foot was on the brake and all of that, it just seems like the button was not going in smoothly and kept getting stuck. It could be something as simple as the button being crappy and going in at a crooked angle and getting caught on something, but either way it sucks when you can't turn off your car because it keeps telling you to put the car in park.
This has happened to me twice now and it's been when I've been turning the steering wheel directly after starting my car. Have you gotten any answers? Thanks!

·
Registered
522 Posts
I have experienced a what I would describe as a whining noise a couple of times now that it has gotten colder. I guess I cannot say for sure that it is a result of the cold weather, or simply that I have put enough miles and "starts" on the car. The two times I can remember it happening, it happened after the car had been sitting at least overnight and probably actually sitting a couple days or more without being driven. After that initial startup noise, I do not hear it again during that drive no matter how many startups I make.
I guess if it happens again I might take it in. I would have to tell them to keep it overnight, outside the dealer maybe. Even then I could not guarantee the noise would occur. I suppose its possible they have heard of this noise before and would simply know what to look for and what to fix or replace without having to actually hear it and reproduce it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts