Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a 2005 Santa Fe 2 litre petrol. I am getting a small whine or squeal when idling or going very slowly once the engine has warmed up. When I stop, the sound continues for about 5-10 seconds and then goes away. If I move the steering wheel it alters or stops the sound so I presume it is coming from the power steering. It is not bad at present but it is annoying and I am wondering what could be causing it. When I bought the car I had a trusted mechanic check it out and he said this sound was nothing to worry about but to keep an eye on it. I mentioned it to the dealer I bought it off and he had the (fan?) belt changed along with the timing belt but the sound has remained. I got 6 months warranty with the car so I would like to have this rectified within this period if it is something potentially troublesome or an early sign of a developing problem.

Could anyone suggest what might be causing this and how to fix it?

Thanks,
Mark

·
Registered
878 Posts
I am not familiar with the 2.0 litre engine you speak of, only the 2.4L and 2.7L . of those I would first check the serpentine belt tensioner (idler Pulley). you do not say how many miles are on the unit. Alot of miles i would look closely at teh A/C compressor clutch bearing, or again, idler pully.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Propflux01 for your reply. There are about 48,000 miles on the clock, not an awful lot really. I imagine the items you mention are not things I could really check myself, unless I get hold of a workshop manual. I'll look into it though, or perhaps bring it to a mechanic and mention these possibilities. You haven't listed the power steering as a likely source(?)

I know that remote diagnosis is not really feasible but I do appreciate the suggestions you have made.

Mark

·
Registered
878 Posts
It could very well be a power steering problem. You may get a turkey baster and replace the fluid in the resevoir and that may help. What I would do is remove the serpentine belt and turn the A/C and the Idler pulley by hand and see if it feels "gravely', 'rough' or like it is not lubed. It should have a good firm feeling ( best I can describe it). The A/C compressor clutch wil lusually feel a slight bit easy to turn, but again, feel for 'roughness' or that 'gravely' or 'grinding' feel to it. Once that is done and ithey feel ok to your satisfaction, I would go ahead and buy a new belt for it. There is a possibility that since it's already 5 years old anyhow (regardless of miles) it could be slipping slightly.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I notice on some other threads that replacing only the fluid that's in a reservoir can cause problems when the new stuff gets mixed with the rest of the old. Is that not really an issue here?

The dealer I bought the car from had another belt replaced along with the timing belt. I presume it was the same belt you mention here, unless there is another one. I think he changed the belt that is immediately visible when you look down the side of the engine. If that has been renewed I imagine it's unlikely it would be slipping. The sound was there before it was changed.

I'll try the checks you outline. Thanks again for the detail.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just an update on this: I haven't taken anything apart yet but once the car is idling and stationary, the sound goes away after maybe 5-10 seconds, as I stated above. Today I got my other half to move the steering wheel a little from side to side while I listened at the bonnet and the whining noise happened every time she moved it and then stopped when she stopped. Which I imagine suggests that it is to do with the steering itself, possibly the pump, and not anything else driven by that belt because if it's just left running and the steering wheel is not moved, there is no noise. If the car is moving, the combination of light acceleration and even slight steering movements seems to bring it on.

Perhaps I'll try changing the fluid in the reservoir as suggested above. Is it safe to do that or should I drain the whole system?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have the same exact issue with my 2004 GLS 3.5 L w/ 68000 miles. Turn or push on the gas some and the noise comes on (rattling on the passenger side).
I have taken the reservoir off and full flushed it because I was told that if the filter inside gets clogged and it will restrict the flow and cause the pump to cavitate (see a lot of air bubbles and the oil comes out of the cap a little). I have checked the hoses for leaks and found nothing.
Unfortunately it did not help me and the sound is still there (going on 6 months). Steering is fine but the noise bugs the crap out of me. Getting ready to replace the steering pump and have the mechanic check all the pulleys while he is there.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks TJD, glad at least to hear I'm not the only one! Yeah, it is a really annoying noise isn't it? I find myself listening out for it, especially if the windows are open: it's hard to ignore. Like your car, the steering here is fine though. I just wonder what the noise means and if something is on the way out.. I don't get any rattling though, just the dull squeal.

I may try the flushing you describe. Can't do any harm, unless the mixing of old and new fluid is a no-no. Can anyone advise on that point?

I hope you get rid of it by changing the pump. Maybe come back when the job is done and let us know the result. I'd be very interested to hear if this works out for you.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts