Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've had a whine when going above 40 mph and probably hear it the worst around 60 mph after which road and wind noise increase so its mixed up with that. My wife and son thought it was back O/S so I changed that bearing but no difference to the whine. To cut a long story short, I have now changed all four wheel bearings and the noise is still there! It is road speed related and is there when coasting in neutral as well as driving normally so not engine related. Doesn't seem to change on corners.

That only really leaves the differential bearings doesn't it? Has anyone had these go bad? Car has done 164K miles.

·
Registered
882 Posts
usually it's brake. Caliper guide pins, brake pads hardware should be shinny and can move freely, and no rust on the surface of caliper pistons hiding under the rubber seal.

Then check the parking brake. Usually don't need to worry about brake shoes they should worn out and have enough space, but the springs may break and dragging the parking brake, then you have to remove all of them

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have checked rear shoes when replacing the rear hubs and the front hubs, discs and pads have been replaced; no change to noise.

·
Registered
3,919 Posts
Not suggesting this
But, I would ...
Jacket up drive wheels of car and put on jack stands.
Chock the other wheels so it will not move.
Start engine and put car in drive
Stay clear of spinning wheels
Listen for whine.
Could be tranny
Could be wheel bearings
Could be axles (CV or otherwise)
Could be a pulley

If I can't find it then just live with it until it shows itself
What else can you do?
Give it to a mechanic to fix?? ... lol

1 - 7 of 7 Posts