Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Very confused about which towbar I can fit to my i10...

My Hyundai garage quoted me silly money to have a detachable towbar fitted. The price included everything, the bar itself, wiring (both sockets for caravan use) labour, and (i assumed) VAT. Something in the region of £450.

Now, I go check witter's website. I see a fixed towbar, fitting, electrics VAT for £246.69 or a detachable one for £415.30

Now, do we really need a detachable towbar? Does it really block the number plate to have a fixed one. If so, why do they even sell the part if I'm just going to be pulled by the fuzz?

And the biggy. Will having Witter's EC type approved towbar fitted invalidate my Hyundai warranty in any way? Obviously, witter would warranty the towbar bits itself, but will the rest of the car still be okay and covered? Should I just pay the extra for Hyundai to do it?

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
855 Posts
QUOTE (Ribs @ May 24 2010, 11:36 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=325825
Very confused about which towbar I can fit to my i10...

My Hyundai garage quoted me silly money to have a detachable towbar fitted. The price included everything, the bar itself, wiring (both sockets for caravan use) labour, and (i assumed) VAT. Something in the region of £450.

Now, I go check witter's website. I see a fixed towbar, fitting, electrics VAT for £246.69 or a detachable one for £415.30

Now, do we really need a detachable towbar? Does it really block the number plate to have a fixed one. If so, why do they even sell the part if I'm just going to be pulled by the fuzz?

And the biggy. Will having Witter's EC type approved towbar fitted invalidate my Hyundai warranty in any way? Obviously, witter would warranty the towbar bits itself, but will the rest of the car still be okay and covered? Should I just pay the extra for Hyundai to do it?

Thanks for the help!
You are being ripped off. Fixed Witter towbar inc electrics and ball £115.11 or detachable £175.66 plus fitting if you do not want to DIY. Fitting of the bar and single electrics is around £80, or an extra hour's labour and £35 ish for charge relay and extra socket if you go for twin electrics.
http://www.pfjones.co.uk/index.php?target=...category_id=262

To answer further

No the fixed does NOT block the number plate.

No, you do NOT need a detachable. Indeed a fixed bar stops people parking too close behind and can be very useful when backing into tight spots (the ultimate rear sensor).

Don't know about the warranty but just to say the i10 has chasis towbar mounting points and the owner's manual fully covers towing. My dealer was not in the least bit bothered when i traded in an i10 that had had a bar fitted.

Even if you commission your Hyundai dealer to fit the bar it will almost certainly be outsourced to a towbar fitter, I have now had two bars fitted by two different fitters and both told me that they do this for Hyundai dealers.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Fantastic. It's nice to hear from someone who has no only done it (twice), but really knows what he is talking about! Thank you! My garage did say they use 'a guy' to fit the towbar, so it fits in with what you are saying.

Finally, I'm noticing that the towing weights are coming in at 700kg. Yet Hyundai say the Manual 1.2, which I drive, can tow 800kg. Are the towbar manufactures just playing it safe, would I be okay to tow to 800kg?

·
Registered
855 Posts
QUOTE (Ribs @ May 25 2010, 01:03 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=326051
Finally, I'm noticing that the towing weights are coming in at 700kg. Yet Hyundai say the Manual 1.2, which I drive, can tow 800kg. Are the towbar manufactures just playing it safe, would I be okay to tow to 800kg?

The Witter fitting instructions state Please refer to the vehicle specification for the trailer weight and nose limits, which must be observed. Which as you say for the 1.2 manual is 800kg for a braked trailer (450kg unbraked) and max nose weight 32kg. Unfortunately they state under Towbar data Max Towing Capacity (kg) : 700 . So 700kg it is. Perhaps a phone call to Witter may help as it is only the 1.2 manual i10 that will tow 800kg all other variants are limited to 700kg and as the 1.2 came later it could be that Witter used the earlier Hyundai specs.

http://www.witter-towbars.co.uk/towbars/ve...spx?vtid=204504

Thule (Brink) also do a towbar for the i10 and that is rated at 900kg but the rear bumper needs to be cut and fitting is more difficult in requiring to remove the rear bumper and silencer, forgot to say yesterday that a major advantage of the Witter towbar is that the rear bumper does not need to be cut.

http://www.brink.eu/download_manual.php?id=1821

Edit: Have phoned Witter, told that "it is whatever the vehicle handbook says" as per the towbar fitting instructions (800kg braked for 1.2 manual).

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
QUOTE (shedloads @ May 25 2010, 09:03 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=326063
Edit: Have phoned Witter, told that "it is whatever the vehicle handbook says" as per the towbar fitting instructions (800kg braked for 1.2 manual).
Epic, thank you!

It seems Witter's website would be the best way for me to do it. With a fixed towbar and twin electrics, towball cover, and plate to protect the bumper, I'm spending £292.94, this includes fitting and VAT. Oddly, fitting comes up at -£29.05 if I select a specific garage, but it up to £50 on others. I'm guessing a glitch in the system, but I won't tell them if you don't ;)

Now I just need to find a caravan...

Thanks again!

·
Registered
855 Posts
QUOTE (Ribs @ May 26 2010, 04:38 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=326441
Epic, thank you!

It seems Witter's website would be the best way for me to do it. With a fixed towbar and twin electrics, towball cover, and plate to protect the bumper, I'm spending £292.94, this includes fitting and VAT. Oddly, fitting comes up at -£29.05 if I select a specific garage, but it up to £50 on others. I'm guessing a glitch in the system, but I won't tell them if you don't ;)

Now I just need to find a caravan...

Thanks again!
See what you mean about using the Witter site and a price reduction on using certain garages to fit the bar. It's a no brainer and I assume they will be Witter approved fitters working to their standards, go for it, I would. :thumbsup:

As for a bumper protector you can not fit a permanent one as it will obscure the number plate. Witter do a detachable plate which is slotted down behind the ball before hooking up and at £10 ish is cheaper than a new rear number plate, which I know from personal experience. :grin:

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
16,776 Posts
Can I put a Trajet towbar on a Getz 2006
A few cutting discs, an angle grinder and a welding torch and I'm sure you could probably make that fit :D

If I helped you fix it, why not...

Your support is greatly appreciated

1 - 10 of 10 Posts