Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car was totaled 2 days ago and I only have a few days left to buy a new vehicle before my rental car coverage runs out.

I've been doing as much research as humanly possible online in general and here on reddit and have shortlisted the Santa Fe Limited Trim 2019 or 2020 (CPO) or a new 2020 or 2021. For a CPO, I would prefer under 30k mi.

I am about to do the "email every dealer on the planet" process to ask for OTD pricing to try and get the best deal but I'm not sure the best way to approach the dealers and what my target price point should reasonably be for each of the above models.

Can anyone please tell me the following:

1. Should I email each dealer and ask what the best price they can do "all in" or OTD for each of the models I am looking for and only let them know my budget after their response? Or should I reach out to each dealer and tell them what I'm able to spend and ask if they have anything that can match this? What is the best way to go about this process?

2. For the 2019 and 2020 CPO or 2020 and 2021 new, what are good prices I should accept or ask for?

3. If I go CPO, should I be asking the dealer about a specific manufacturer warranty or something similar?

4. Is AWD really important for this model? Or is FWD sufficient? I live in NY and we have probably 10-15 days per year with enough snow to make the roads really bad.

4. Does anyone strongly recommend a specific year between 2019 and 2021?

I don't know if this helps in the overall calculus but I am located in NY and also have a pre-approval letter from my bank with 2.48% for a used vehicle and slightly lower percentage for a new one. I am therefore in a position where I do not have to finance this purchase with the dealer.

I could probably find out these answers on my own if I had a little more time but having my car totaled was obviously not planned and has left me in a tight spot time-wise to get a new car. THANK YOU in advance to anyone that reads this and is able to provide any helpful guidance or suggestions.

·
Registered
406 Posts
You are certainly asking a lot of very good questions, some of which I'll do my best to answer.
1) Seems like all your shopping is based only on price. Why not decide, based on the vehicles you have found, which ones you would most enjoy owning. Then, do NOT divulge your "budget" to any dealer, rather ask them for their best price. Not sure how long you keep your cars but seems to me I'd want to determine which vehicles had the features "I could not live without" which would narrow the number of dealers//SUV's you are dealing with.
2) There are several good sites on line that will provide information on what you should be paying for a new/used vehicle. A few minutes checking these sites out give you a lot of info. Be prepared, due to lack of new/used dealer inventory these days to pay close to asking price.
3) AWD is valuable if you drive your vehicle in an area that gets snow and ice. I own a 2020 Santa Fe Limited AWD 2,0t and luv everything about this SUV. I can strongly recommend this year and model based on a year and a half of ownership.
4) It is obviously, very important to clearly understand the warranty you'll receive on any of the vehicles you decide to buy, before making the deal.
Perhaps I missed answering some questions, I hope this information helps you make a decision that you will be happy with for many years.
Good luck, pls keep us in the loop on your final purchase.

·
Registered
2020 SantaFe
167 Posts
#1 Email all dealers within the area you are willing to travel to pick up. Ask for OTD price.
#2 2019 or 2020 will only save you a few thousand dollars but if they have all the options you want go for it.
# 3 Don't trust a dealer for anything. Reshearch to see if the Hyundai warranty is transferable.
#4 If getting the quicker 2021 engine I would go with all wheel drive to prevent torque steer and it will be handy in slippery weather.
#5 Don't tell the dealer you have financing because they make profit if you finance through the dealer thus they are less likely to give the best discount. Bare in mind that autos are not being discounted much lately due to shortage of vehicles. As guidance I read on this forum a member was quoted $1000 above MSRP on a Santa Fe.

·
Registered
406 Posts
I'm sure "verifiedvendor5" will be short lived on this site. There's no end to the way criminals/scammers will try to cheat or steal peoples money!!!

·
Registered
2021 Santa Fe SEL Premium / Convenience / Cargo going to 2021 Caligraphy
72 Posts
I'll give it a shot:

1. Should I email each dealer and ask what the best price they can do "all in" or OTD for each of the models I am looking for and only let them know my budget after their response? Or should I reach out to each dealer and tell them what I'm able to spend and ask if they have anything that can match this? What is the best way to go about this process?

You can email and ask for the OTD price. Never tell them your budget in advance. You can use that as a negotiation after they give you the OTD price and it may be close to your budget. Then you can tell them it's too much and look to see what they do. If they remove fees, that's good. If they try to walk around financing, look closer. But if you have a budget, try to stick to it or you will regret it in the long term.

2. For the 2019 and 2020 CPO or 2020 and 2021 new, what are good prices I should accept or ask for?

I'm getting a new 2021 and the sticker is close to 42K. For CPO's, the problem is that with the demand for good used, low mileage cars, it almost gets to sticker. And to pre-answer your #3 question, CPO's normally don't come with a warranty but if you can negotiate a dealer warrenty, that would be money in your pocket. They probably won't do a power-train warrranty as that will cost them money, but you can ask for the maintenance program that only costs them the cost of a filter and oil, labor which is a drop in the bucket.

3. If I go CPO, should I be asking the dealer about a specific manufacturer warranty or something similar?

See the end of my answer above.

4. Is AWD really important for this model? Or is FWD sufficient? I live in NY and we have probably 10-15 days per year with enough snow to make the roads really bad.

If only 15 days a year and your really don't go off road a lot, then FWD in snow is fine by me. Actually FWD is better then rear wheel drive because in a skid situation you won't fishtail. Just remember you have FWD and instead of braking and taking your foot off the gas, steer into the direction you want to go and use the gas to drive out of the skid. The FWD will pull you out of the skid.

5. Does anyone strongly recommend a specific year between 2019 and 2021?

Hyundai did a refresh in 2021. I believe a lot of the newer features started in 2020 (and others might be able to confirm) like the push button transmission and electronic dash. I've had a 2018 and really had no issues with it if you can find a good 2019 at a really good price. All you'd have to know is that.

1. Instead of the push buttons and electronic dash you would be using the stick and do all the setting on the mechanical dash using the menus on the dash.
  2. Any car that doesn't have the new 2.5L engine is still in the suspect Theta debacle. That doesn't mean that your car will suffer it. But you didn't buy it new. You didn't personally break in the engine. You don't know how the previous owner drove it, etc. If it's low mileage, just change the oil at a more frequent level and do oil analysis like Blackstone with every oil change.
  3. I think you'll find higher price differences between 2019 and 2020 because of the items I mentioned above. Again, they both come with same 2.4L engine instead of the new 2.5L which has been redesigned (but again, there is not enough time to see if the 2.5L will do any better.)

·
Registered
162 Posts
In this current market, used car prices are overvalued and honestly aren't saving much if any when buying a 1-2 year old car. So my advise is to look at and buy new.

I was in the same boat before I bought my car and it made no financial sense to look at used cars unless it was a beater (talking $2K or less car).

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you everyone for your input. Seriously, it is beyond appreciated. So yes, best on the responses here, it looks I am going to be leaning towards going with a new vehicle.

If anyone can please clarify the following for me that would be super helpful.

So if, for example, a new Sante Fe is MSRP $39,500, it would be reasonable to try to get the dealer to $40,500 before TT&L? Is that correct? Or am I missing something in this equation?

Thank you again.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I would still try to get one for under MSRP. You never know until you try. See what offers you get from emails.
Thank you. Just so I know my expectations are realistic, are you talking about getting it for under MSRP before TT&L are added on?

Also, I found a few 2021 Santa Fe Limited AWD's listed at around $39,500-$40,000, which is about $2,000 below MSRP. So how should I approach this with the dealers then?

I'm guessing they are going to try and add a bunch of fees on top of this? Is it unrealistic to ask them to give me the exact price listed on their site?

Also, some of them are offering 0.9% financing, so should I tell them I am okay with financing if that will help them give me a better deal on the vehicle?

Thank you again.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just wanted to update. I just got an email back from one of the dealers after I asked for the final sale price before TT&L.

She said it would be $39,508 before my taxes and fees. This is the exact price being offered on their website with an MSRP of $42,185

Am I missing something here? Is this just a good deal? Should I be asking them to lower it still? Help! lol

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sorry for the multiple posts. I re-checked the listing and it said it had one owner and passed dealer inspection...

On the autotrader listing it says 0 miles. This seems really odd to me. What am I missing?

·
Registered
2019 Santa Fe Ultimate 2.0T AWD
964 Posts
Sorry for the multiple posts. I re-checked the listing and it said it had one owner and passed dealer inspection...

On the autotrader listing it says 0 miles. This seems really odd to me. What am I missing?
I didn't know it was possible for a new car to have "0" miles; it has to have something. I've never bought a car that didn't even have 1.0 miles on it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I didn't know it was possible for a new car to have "0" miles; it has to have something. I've never bought a car that didn't even have 1.0 miles on it.
I agree, I'm just relaying what the autotrader listing says 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
2019 Santa Fe Ultimate 2.4 L
46 Posts
Find the car with the options you want. New or used. OR
Find the car with the price you want.
Get the best deal you can and move on.

·
Premium Member
519 Posts
My car was totaled 2 days ago and I only have a few days left to buy a new vehicle before my rental car coverage runs out.

I've been doing as much research as humanly possible online in general and here on reddit and have shortlisted the Santa Fe Limited Trim 2019 or 2020 (CPO) or a new 2020 or 2021. For a CPO, I would prefer under 30k mi.

I am about to do the "email every dealer on the planet" process to ask for OTD pricing to try and get the best deal but I'm not sure the best way to approach the dealers and what my target price point should reasonably be for each of the above models.

Can anyone please tell me the following:

4. Does anyone strongly recommend a specific year between 2019 and 2021?

I don't know if this helps in the overall calculus but I am located in NY and also have a pre-approval letter from my bank with 2.48% for a used vehicle and slightly lower percentage for a new one. I am therefore in a position where I do not have to finance this purchase with the dealer.

I could probably find out these answers on my own if I had a little more time but having my car totaled was obviously not planned and has left me in a tight spot time-wise to get a new car. THANK YOU in advance to anyone that reads this and is able to provide any helpful guidance or suggestions.
Find a two year lease until prices come down. In another two years, you may be able to land a new 2024 vehicle, for the same price as today's sticker price 2022 vehicle.

The prices today will slowly begin to fall over the next years, when your two year lease expires. I would never pay sticker price for any Kia or Hyundai. Our 19' Hyundai Santa Fe was factory-window stickered at $29K and we got it for $26.5 out the door. The new vehicle discounts will arrive again. Just be patient.

Reactions: Bookworm

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Find a two year lease until prices come down. In another two years, you may be able to land a new 2024 vehicle, for the same price as today's sticker price 2022 vehicle.

The prices today will slowly begin to fall over the next years, when your two year lease expires. I would never pay sticker price for any Kia or Hyundai. Our 19' Hyundai Santa Fe was factory-window stickered at $29K and we got it for $26.5 out the door. The new vehicle discounts will arrive again. Just be patient.
Thank you for that.

I think I would put too many miles on a vehicle to be a good candidate for a lease.

Are you experienced with leases? Does Hyundai offer some type of high mileage lease that's reasonable?

Also, while I have a response from this dealer, it couldn't hurt to throw a number back, right? Any ideas or suggestions? Thank you again.

·
Registered
2021 Santa Fe SEL Premium / Convenience / Cargo going to 2021 Caligraphy
72 Posts
Also, some of them are offering 0.9% financing, so should I tell them I am okay with financing if that will help them give me a better deal on the vehicle?

Thank you again.
The .9% financing is through the entire country. If some dealer are higher, they are squeezing you and run away.

·
Registered
50 Posts
All good responses here. NEVER, EVER tell a dlr. your budget. That's how they want to sell to you. They can finagle numbers to get you to whatever you want a monthly payment to be. Also, I don't like to have the dlrs give me OTD prices, same reason. Unless you're looking across state lines, all your taxes, tiltle fees etc. will be the same. Only diff. is dlr. doc. fee. Negotiate on the price of the car and then work from there. Be firm when dealing w/ the F&I person and know how to say NO! Good luck.

·
Registered
162 Posts
All good responses here. NEVER, EVER tell a dlr. your budget. That's how they want to sell to you. They can finagle numbers to get you to whatever you want a monthly payment to be. Also, I don't like to have the dlrs give me OTD prices, same reason. Unless you're looking across state lines, all your taxes, tiltle fees etc. will be the same. Only diff. is dlr. doc. fee. Negotiate on the price of the car and then work from there. Be firm when dealing w/ the F&I person and know how to say NO! Good luck.
One thing with working only on price of car and not the OTD is a dealer can say price of car is $40K but add on bogus fees, etc. that they say can't remove.

Dealing with only OTD number removes those variables.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts