Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read the lemon-aid guide by phil edmonston, lots of problems for the cars there, i fear having costly problems later on when i buy the car, can i get, sort of a list of what problems are common for the sfs?

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
I can't answer your question - but reflect on the fact that Hyundai gives one of the longest warranties around and have done for many years - their business is booming so warranty claims aren't costing them a fortune - and the customer doesn't have to worry about repair costs for a considerable time.

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
GAS CONSUMPTION lol
Just to add to that - a computer mpg calculation which may lead some drivers to believe they are getting higher mpgs. It has been often mentioned on here that the calculation is too high and that has been my experience.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Just to add to that - a computer mpg calculation which may lead some drivers to believe they are getting higher mpgs. It has been often mentioned on here that the calculation is too high and that has been my experience.
mine is also always high but it's within 10% of manually calculated which is on par with other car's I've driven. My guess is this is going to be like my HHR, which uses a basic flow meter, it will be more accurate in the winter and less accurate in the hottest part of the summer. Gas is slightly more dense when cold and less dense when hot.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I've read the lemon-aid guide by phil edmonston, lots of problems for the cars there, i fear having costly problems later on when i buy the car, can i get, sort of a list of what problems are common for the sfs?

For the most part, nothing. There was a axle recall on FWD made in a certain date range but beyond that there hasn't been anything major that I'm aware of.

Some people are getting lower than advertised gas mileage, some are getting better. If you drive 85 on the highway and expect good gas mileage, then this isn't the car for you.

I'll echo what the other guy said. They have one of the best warranties out there. The only way they could do that and stay in business is if people didn't need to use them all the time.

If you are that worried then get some piece of mind and go with an extended warranty. I'm normally against them but they were surprisingly cheap for a 10 year bumper to bumper warranty, which again points to the fact that they are not used much. Just remember keep asking them to do better on the price until they stop asking you to take it, watch that they don't try and raise the deductible, then decide if the last price is something you can accept. In my case the kept dropping the price and then when they hit the bottom they said what if they could lower my interest rate. In the end I got the warranty and maintenance package and only paying, something like, $3.75 more per month for them because of the lower interest rate.

·
Registered
544 Posts
The only problems that I have had were with the driver's seat in regards to noise. One problem was the torque of the mounting bolts which caused an annoying creak noise. The other problem that developed was periodically when I accelerated or decelerated it felt like a kid was kicking me in the back. I fixed this by removing the plastic back and applying lithium crease to the contact points of the inner cover. The seat back also still feels a little loose as it tends to rock slightly. Both problems I fixed myself as I hate taking it to a dealer only to tell me "no fault found". I will wait for later with the rocking issue as it is currently not too bad.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I see you're drivin a Caravan, not a vehicle renowned for its reliability... I used to drive a VW so I do a lot of research before buying a new vehicle.

6000 problem free kms so far. Fingers crossed...

Cheers

·
Registered
20 Posts
1871k still no regrets great vehicle. Pay no attention to the nay sayers, they are just envious. Right behind Honda for the best initial quality and a long comprehensive warranty. No concerns here.

Ignore my signature gas mileage. Something not right with that number. Should be 10.8L/100k.

Note to convert between mpg and L/100k divide into 235

·
Registered
2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport 2.0t limited
269 Posts
Here are the problems I had in 18 000km, 9 months owning the car

-Drivers seat little rocking movement - fixed by dealer with a tool
-Dash lcd sreen control buttons on the steering wheel worked intermittently sometimes - fixed by dealer by replacing the steering wheel
-Dash creeking sound noise in colder temperature - fixed by me using weather stripping. Can be done by the dealer but they have to remove the dash. Should be resolved now on new santa fe, it was an assembly problem at the plant.
-Wind noise at highway speed - caused by the bug deflectror on the hood, the deflector in Canada have the problem, not the US one. Dealer took back the deflector and I ordered online a US one.

Nothing major, all small things. I'm really happy with my car :)

·
Registered
273 Posts
It uses more gas they I would like but glad to have a turbo that uses 87 octane gas. Hyundai was the first on that one with car/SUV in this price range an engine using Regular. Several has done this since.

I bought because our Santa Fe offers the most bang for the buck. No other SUV for price offers that. Glance at the RDX but wasn't willing to pay what I could get for $5-6k cheaper.

·
Registered
263 Posts
The biggest issue you will face on a weekly basis is gas consumption. Especially on the 2.0T which is the version we have. I'm not surprised though. Any 2 litre engine capable of producing 264 horsepower is doing it at a cost. To add to that it's pushing a relatively heavy car for its small size. On the other hand though, I hear that this gets better after the second and third oil change.

Another issue that Hyundais have (and keep in mind this is what I HEARD) is corrosion. The cars have come a long way since the Pony but from what I heard, they have yet to perfect their corrosion protection when compared to VW/Audi and Mercedes. Perhaps the 2013's are different.

·
Banned
532 Posts
Another issue that Hyundais have (and keep in mind this is what I HEARD) is corrosion. The cars have come a long way since the Pony but from what I heard.
Hyundai Pony:

1975 to 1982 = 1st Generation​
1983 to 1990 = 2nd generation​

:whistling:

·
Registered
273 Posts
The biggest issue you will face on a weekly basis is gas consumption. Especially on the 2.0T which is the version we have. I'm not surprised though. Any 2 litre engine capable of producing 264 horsepower is doing it at a cost. .
Gas mileage suffers around town. Highway I have gotten 28.5mpg(by fillup) (from Houston to San Antonio). not bad when consider the speed limit in 75mph for ~85% of the trip.

·
Registered
223 Posts
The cup holders in the rear are constantly rattling and the dealer has no fix.

I had a squeaking in the rear end end and the dealer located the problem and added some foam in the rear panel ...so far so good.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts