Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
All,
So I just got my engine replaced in my 2011 Sonata (with 97k miles on it), so I'm starting to look at picking up a used Genesis. I was dead set on a '15 or '16 Ultimate until I learned that there's no Android Auto upgrade for that specific options package. Now I'm basically lost. While I really love everything about the Ultimate's that I've test driven, I also really like what I've seen from the rental cars that I've had that have had access to Android Auto. So I'd like to hear some owner's perspectives. Why an Ultimate? If not the Ultimate, what should I be looking at that will have lane keep assist and radar guided cruise control? Is HTRAC worth it (I live in Missouri), or does the rear wheel drive platform do a good enough job in the rain and occasional snow?

Thanks in advance,
BigdogBTS

·
Registered
669 Posts
If you really need 4 wheels driven, then HTRAC is the best way to go. Otherwise the 3.8 Ultimate trim is the most complete, comprehensive and smart way to go unless you just have to have an 8 cylinder sound. The 3.8 V6 is a perfect balance of power to function and costs.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ratledge,
Thanks for the reply. I think that's what I'm really asking. I'm not sure if I do need 4 wheels driven, but I live in STL, and while we don't get a ton of snow, it's been known to happen. In the different reviews that I've read, it looks like some people don't think that the RWD is all that bad in the snow, and some people think it's absolute crap. Other than that, I've already rectified the loss of android auto against the other features that the Ultimate package has, so I'm 99% positive that's what I'll end up getting. While the extra power of the 5.0 sounds enticing on paper, from what I've read (again), it doesn't seem to really be enough of a game changer to make up for the fuel economy and price hit. Since the HTRAC only comes in the 3.8, if I decide to go that route, it's a decision that's already made for me. I wish the Genesis came in the same dark blue that my existing sonata came in. I guess I'll just have to settle for black on black.
Thanks again,
BigdogBTS

·
Registered
669 Posts
Yep, you pay for that V8 in weight and MPG. No use for the AWD here in coastal Carolina. We see snow that sticks about once every five years.

I am in a 3.8 Ultimate, plenty of car, though I would consider the 3.3t Sport if it was me.

The Polar Ice color it comes in this year is awesome looking blue.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So, I ended up with a Empire State Gray on Black 15 AWD Ultimate. So far, I'm really happy with a few caveats:

1) I'm actually pretty bummed about Android Auto, but not because I really wanted Android Auto. What I really wanted was bass response similar to what I had in my Sonata with the Dimension Audio option. Based on some research that I've done, it seems that the Lexicon system is capable of that kind of sound, but has DSP settings on the bluetooth input that eliminate some of the deeper bass in an attempt to resolve an issue that was present on the G1 Genesis that caused higher failure rates. Bass response is good on a line level input (3.5mm) but then you lose control from the DIS system. Android Auto could potentially solve both those issues, but it looks like that's never going to happen for 2015 users.

2) I'm having a **** time with my SiriusXM trial. It keeps saying "subscription info updated" every time i start the car, and then I'm unsubscribed from SiriusXM. I have to call (or use the web) to get a reactivation signal sent, and then the service only stay active until I turn the car off. Looks like others have had this problem, and it more than likely results in a new head unit. Thank god i got that Hyundai Wrap CPO warranty....

Other than those two issues, I'm really loving the car. Thanks for the advice all!

·
Registered
7 Posts
So, I ended up with a Empire State Gray on Black 15 AWD Ultimate. So far, I'm really happy with a few caveats:

1) I'm actually pretty bummed about Android Auto, but not because I really wanted Android Auto. What I really wanted was bass response similar to what I had in my Sonata with the Dimension Audio option. Based on some research that I've done, it seems that the Lexicon system is capable of that kind of sound, but has DSP settings on the bluetooth input that eliminate some of the deeper bass in an attempt to resolve an issue that was present on the G1 Genesis that caused higher failure rates. Bass response is good on a line level input (3.5mm) but then you lose control from the DIS system. Android Auto could potentially solve both those issues, but it looks like that's never going to happen for 2015 users.

2) I'm having a **** time with my SiriusXM trial. It keeps saying "subscription info updated" every time i start the car, and then I'm unsubscribed from SiriusXM. I have to call (or use the web) to get a reactivation signal sent, and then the service only stay active until I turn the car off. Looks like others have had this problem, and it more than likely results in a new head unit. Thank god i got that Hyundai Wrap CPO warranty....

Other than those two issues, I'm really loving the car. Thanks for the advice all!

May I ask where you bought your Genesis, I live in Texas and so far every Hyundai location only has G80 and up. May go for private dealers.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I live in STL, and I've seen a few in the local market over the past 90 days. I always checked the Hyundai CPO inventory tool on hyundaiusa.com before I tried any of the other search engines. That being said, I found mine via autotrader, and it was in a northern suburb of Chicago.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm having a **** time with my SiriusXM trial. It keeps saying "subscription info updated" every time i start the car, and then I'm unsubscribed from SiriusXM. I have to call (or use the web) to get a reactivation signal sent, and then the service only stay active until I turn the car off. Looks like others have had this problem, and it more than likely results in a new head unit. Thank god i got that Hyundai Wrap CPO warranty....

So yeah, my Hyundai dealer confirment that I need a new head unit. Looks like the part alone cost $3500.00, so that $3000 extended warranty was a pretty good investment. This is the second "high tech" automobile that I've owned (the wife had a '12 qx56) where the cost of repairs was greater than the cost of the extended warranty. YMMV, but I'm probably sold on extended warranties for the next few cars...

Also, shame on Hyundai for pulling a 3/36 warranty on electronics.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update on my experience.....

After much discussion with the hyundai dealer that I bought the car from, as well as from my local dealer where I had my Sonata (and will now have my Genesis) serviced, Hyundai Corporate decided to fix the radio instead of replace it. This consisted of pulling the radio, shipping it to a repair depot, having them repair whatever was wrong, and then doing everything in reverse. I got to drive an '18 G80 5.0 HTRAC Ultimate for a few days for my trouble, which was nice, but a little frustrating. They've made some changes between '15 and '18, and I'm not a fan of all of them.

Anyway, I have my car back, and everything's functional. Kudos to Hyundai for helping me out even though I was a few thousand miles outside my warranty. Odd side effect of the "repair" but I seem to have an upgraded version of the current NAV software as things are slightly different (like the elimination of the "top" view functionality on the backup camera).

·
Registered
1,818 Posts

After much discussion with the hyundai dealer that I bought the car from, as well as from my local dealer where I had my Sonata (and will now have my Genesis) serviced, Hyundai Corporate decided to fix the radio instead of replace it. This consisted of pulling the radio, shipping it to a repair depot, having them repair whatever was wrong, and then doing everything in reverse. I got to drive an '18 G80 5.0 HTRAC Ultimate for a few days for my trouble, which was nice, but a little frustrating. They've made some changes between '15 and '18, and I'm not a fan of all of them.

Anyway, I have my car back, and everything's functional. Kudos to Hyundai for helping me out even though I was a few thousand miles outside my warranty. Odd side effect of the "repair" but I seem to have an upgraded version of the current NAV software as things are slightly different (like the elimination of the "top" view functionality on the backup camera).
That view is useless anyway :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was in the same boat as you. I was all set on getting the Ultimate Package until I found it can't do Android Auto. At this point, the only inviolate requirement for my next car was Android Auto. So, I ended up getting the 2016 Technology Package. I would have loved the Head-Up display from the Ultimate Package, but no way was I trading that for Android Auto. Car's still getting ready (CPO). Some minor issues getting fixed. Hopefully I'll have the car in the next day or two.

·
Registered
23 Posts

Nice follow up and congrats on the new ride. I read that if you register at myhyundai you can get free maps and
apple carplay (don't know about android). I tried to register but I had to submit my registration, DL, and purchase contract to attach my name to the VIN that was already registered to the first owner.

I picked up my '15 HTrac Sig/Tech 4 days ago and love it. XM gave me 3 months trial and I did nothing. I could have waited to find an ultimate but the price, miles, and color was too strong to ignore ($25.5, 19.5K miles, and Parisian Grey/black, perfect Carfax).

Fantastic car and as nice or nicer than my past S class and 750Li which had none of the tech this car has.

I replaced the 3 year old battery today as a pre emptive strike based on past experience with modern electronics today killing batteries in 3-4 years.

I ordered for $11 off ebay my Genesis trunk wing to replace the H logo because the wing looks better. It arrives tomorrow. I proudly tell people "it's a Hyundai".
I'm adding the wing to match the one on the front, not to hide it's Hyundai DNA. I actually like the Genesis name better than G80 so I will NOT debadge the Genesis and add the G80 letters.

Regarding your reply to your initial post: I am learning here and at the Gen forum, it's as quiet as a church mouse. Several people posted months ago on Genesis forum in the new member section and not a single "welcome aboard, congratulations", or even a "hello".

I have posted more about my Gen including pics with my buddies on the Accord forum than either of the 2 Gen forums I am on and they are the ones offering well wishes.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have an ultimate and am looking at solunions... the factory unit will play audio from phone and you can use the screen functions with audible and amazon music. I think the models without the jog dial feature can be updated but not the ones with,,, check out genesisowners.com. Ps the dvd can’t be used while car is in motion but there is a bypass cable I have seen for this

1 - 14 of 14 Posts