Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I am looking at buying a new cheap car for work probably in the next 6 months. I drive 40-50K per year. I currently use a 2004 Kia Spectra with 225k on it that I bought new. Last August we bought a 2009 Santa Fe which I am not allowed to use for work...lol. I like the price of the base model Accent and Kia Rio. Both can be purchased for $10000 and tax. I like both the local Kia and Hyundai dealers. With the prices for both these compact models around the same what model would you choose? I have had a longer relationship with the Kia, and the car has worked well. But I can be swayed to a 2nd Hyundai.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Well opinions here i would imagine to be swayed to the Hyundai lol

Its a great car, and i haven't seen many posts regarding problems. The way I see it, styling and the no. of doors are what it comes down to...

If its just for work and your the primarily the one occupant of the vehicle you may want a 2-dr hatch (accent). If you need more doors i would suggest going with the Rio... Kia has (in Canada at least) put alot more into the vehicle that the Accent does not have... ie. bluetooth, heatedseats, etc...

Hope this helps... and good luck!

·
Super Moderator
3,813 Posts
If you're wanting the basics, it's probably a wash between the cheapies on either two brands.  If you're seeking creature comforts, Hyundai's decontenting of the Accent is not going to help you there...  Kia wins hands down.

Rear discs and ABS are standard on LX or above Rio trims; the Accent used to be that way but now you're stuck with drums and if you wanted ABS good luck finding it.  The Accent used to have heated power mirrors as an option, now they're just power only - but the Rio has them available as part of a $600 package that also comes with the other power stuff plus cruise and steering wheel audio controls (the latter not available on the Accent.)

If I wanted to replace my Accent with a similarly equipped one, I would have to go to Kia to be able to do that.  

Although honestly for not much more money than a Rio or Accent with some options can get you into a basic Forte. A safer car, a design that isn't as long in the tooth and quite good fuel economy. 

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
QUOTE (hoosieraccent @ Apr 24 2010, 06:53 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=316428
If you're wanting the basics, it's probably a wash between the cheapies on either two brands.  If you're seeking creature comforts, Hyundai's decontenting of the Accent is not going to help you there...  Kia wins hands down.

Rear discs and ABS are standard on LX or above Rio trims; the Accent used to be that way but now you're stuck with drums and if you wanted ABS good luck finding it.  The Accent used to have heated power mirrors as an option, now they're just power only - but the Rio has them available as part of a $600 package that also comes with the other power stuff plus cruise and steering wheel audio controls (the latter not available on the Accent.)

If I wanted to replace my Accent with a similarly equipped one, I would have to go to Kia to be able to do that.  

Although honestly for not much more money than a Rio or Accent with some options can get you into a basic Forte. A safer car, a design that isn't as long in the tooth and quite good fuel economy. 
I kinda wanted the Forte Koup when I bought my car last year......but it was like 6G's more...Accent won & me happy :grin:
Like the Rio...but has too many doors....and Accent looks much better :whistling:

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah I see good and bad with both. I like the few extras you get on the base model Kia like the Bluetooth, and owning a Kia with few problems for 6 years now gives me a bias to it. However I like the style of the Accent a little more as a 2 door coupe compared to the 4 door sedan I would have to buy to get the cheapest base model in the Kia. Both are basic models. It would be standard with no air...yikes...however we only need the AC here for probably 30 days a year. I can get either with a great warranty and a payment of around $365 for 3 years. I might have to take both for test drives and then decide from there.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts