Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've scoured these forms for at least an hour before posting this but the closest I got was a guy with a 2015 Santa Fe.

My question is: Which exterior bulbs can be replaced with LEDs? (Without resistors or additional wiring). I'm specifically interested in the tail light / rear bulbs.

·
Registered
2017 Sonata Limited 2.4L w/Tech & Ult Pkg's
413 Posts
I've scoured these forms for at least an hour before posting this but the closest I got was a guy with a 2015 Santa Fe.

My question is: Which exterior bulbs can be replaced with LEDs? (Without resistors or additional wiring). I'm specifically interested in the tail light / rear bulbs.
All depends on which Sonata you drive so it would help to know that. Depending on your model it may have some LEDs already.
Here's what I have and the one with ** means you can do LED without resistors (at least I did)
This is for 2017 Sonata Limited 2.4L with HID headlights ( Type B ), some will work for other trims and 2015/2016 models as well:
Front
Headlights (Low/High) - D3S
DRL/Position - LED Lamp
Turn Signals - 1157A aka 2357A
Side Marker - W5W aka T10 **
Front Outside Mirror - LED
Rear
Rear Stop/Tail (Inside/Outside) - LED
High Mount Stop - LED Lamp
Rear Turn Signal - 1156A **
Back Up - W16 aka 921 **
License Plate - W5W aka T10 **
Inside
Maps Lights with Sunroof- LED aka 194
Vanity (Sun Visor) - FESTOON 30MM **
Glove Compartment - FESTOON 36MM **
Rear Passengers - FESTOON 30MM **
Trunk - FESTOON 31MM ** (you can also use LED strip for more light)
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
89 Posts
They all can - the only bulbs that would require resistors are the turn signals, but you can buy LED's with resistors built in already so that they are plug and play. My car came with the LED tail lights and all LED interior, but I switched out the reverse, license plate, and F/R turn signals with LEDs.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Long and short - Basically any bulb that doesn't give you a bulb out or cause any other warning on your particular car - ie non CAN bus. (Turn sigs usually will need resistors to stop hyperflashing.)
From what I've seen around here typically that will be reverse and park lamps at the back for later model Hyundais. Did mine with no issues.

·
Registered
669 Posts
In recent model Hyundai vehicles, it is only the turn signals and low beam headlight bulbs that are checked by the computer for bulb out condition.

Anything else should be a direct swap. Most of the supposed "no resistor required" bulbs did not work for me, but I eventually found a pair of rear turn signals that did. YMMV

·
Registered
287 Posts
In recent model Hyundai vehicles, it is only the turn signals and low beam headlight bulbs that are checked by the computer for bulb out condition.

Anything else should be a direct swap. Most of the supposed "no resistor required" bulbs did not work for me, but I eventually found a pair of rear turn signals that did. YMMV
My Tuscson uses six p21/5w (or equivalent) at the back, 4 on the tailgate for park only, two on the corners for park and brake. I get bulb out warning for the brake lamps when I tried LEDs, so I just did the 4 on the tailgate.
At some point I'll revisit the park/brake lights, possibly with splice tap resistors for the brake, or perhaps try a so-called CAN bus compatible LED.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everybody. It sounds like I'll have to just play around and see. I figured that would be the end result either way, I just wanted to make sure that it's actually possible to do so. BTW I'm driving an Eco - no packages.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts