Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! Time is up to change my engine air filter on my 2018 Elantra 2.0L and I am hesitating between the genuine Hyundai filter, which is probably overpriced a lot and any third-party brand filters... the thing is we are living on a dirt (sand) road, so we need the highest filtration level. For this reason I am not a big fan of the K&N drop-in filter which is known to let very fine particles pass into the intake (aka as "dusting" the engine).

Since I am located in Canada, I have limited option as for third-party air filter in store... I see some reviews for WIX filters but they are not sold in store in Canada (well not in my area)...

Thank you for your suggestions! ;-)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you Gazwould but I already watched this video the day it was published, I really like this Youtuber, it's one of the best!! However except for the K&N which is definitely a crappy filter and the FRAM brand which is a 2nd looser in this compare, the other brands are not sold in Canada, which is exactly like I am indicated in my original post... :confused:

·
Registered
835 Posts
I suggest you install a restriction gauge.
Then you'll know scientifically when you really need to change the filter.
Air filters increase efficiency as they load up with dirt and the larger pores get filled.
So it's better to not change it too often.

I put a gauge on my previous Toyota Matrix, which called for 30k mile filter changes.
I replaced the filter when the restriction reached half the recommended limit (11") at 43k miles.
11" of restriction vs 7" with a new filter results in ~1% loss of power at wide open throttle.
I have not put the gauge on the Tucson yet, since I only have 21k miles on it. It's a low priority project.

Amazon.com: WIX Filters - 24801 Heavy Duty Air Filter Service Gauge, Pack of 1: Automotive

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I suggest you install a restriction gauge.
Then you'll know scientifically when you really need to change the filter.
Air filters increase efficiency as they load up with dirt and the larger pores get filled.
So it's better to not change it too often.

I put a gauge on my previous Toyota Matrix, which called for 30k mile filter changes.
I replaced the filter when the restriction reached half the recommended limit (11") at 43k miles.
11" of restriction vs 7" with a new filter results in ~1% loss of power at wide open throttle.
I have not put the gauge on the Tucson yet, since I only have 21k miles on it. It's a low priority project.

Amazon.com: WIX Filters - 24801 Heavy Duty Air Filter Service Gauge, Pack of 1: Automotive
Seem like a good long term plan for sure! However my Elantra is getting 2 years old and 40K KM of dirt road driving, so the filter is looking nasty as **** already... based on my previous vehicle maintenance experience, it's what they call "heavy usage" so this is surely the largest interval for a air filter change.

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
Thank you Gazwould but I already watched this video the day it was published, I really like this Youtuber, it's one of the best!! However except for the K&N which is definitely a crappy filter and the FRAM brand which is a 2nd looser in this compare, the other brands are not sold in Canada, which is exactly like I am indicated in my original post... :confused:
Comparative testing one sample against other single samples is considered irrelevant at least and inconclusive at most. Way too many variables, shelve life, manufacturing tolerances and with paper problem where stored, how long, and under what conditions.

Fair testing should include at least 100 samples of each and preferable, a thousand samples of each comparing the averages. Humidity affects performance as operating temperature more than anything else and not specified.

·
Registered
2018 Hyundai Elantra
87 Posts
OEM is cheap if you get it directly from them. Dealerships price gouge everything. I can get a new interior air filter from wix for $23 instead of $91 at my stealership.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I have bought WIX air filters for my 2017 and they are labeled "Made in Korea"... And they have the same # of pleats, and any markings are the same as OEM, so I suspect they are from the same OEM filters manufacture..

Hi! Time is up to change my engine air filter on my 2018 Elantra 2.0L and I am hesitating between the genuine Hyundai filter, which is probably overpriced a lot and any third-party brand filters... the thing is we are living on a dirt (sand) road, so we need the highest filtration level. For this reason I am not a big fan of the K&N drop-in filter which is known to let very fine particles pass into the intake (aka as "dusting" the engine).

Since I am located in Canada, I have limited option as for third-party air filter in store... I see some reviews for WIX filters but they are not sold in store in Canada (well not in my area)...

Thank you for your suggestions! ;-)

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
I have bought WIX air filters for my 2017 and they are labeled "Made in Korea"... And they have the same # of pleats, and any markings are the same as OEM, so I suspect they are from the same OEM filters manufacture..
Called private branding, like 20,000 parts in an automobile, OEM's manufacturers purchase many of these components and to keep taxes low want so called JIT inventory, Just in Time. That puts more pieces of slices in the pie so the price goes up.

Recently check engine and cabin filter on our Limited, maybe living in clean air Northern Wisconsin makes a different, just one fly in the cabin and a piece of a leaf in the engine. Used a vacuum with a clevis tool in each fold, nice and white, could see plenty of light through them and put them back in.

All of my 30's vehicles did not have any air filters, 40's-50's vehicles used an engine oil bath filter, those were a mess to clean, wasn't until the 60's paper filters came out. Going way back practically all vehicles used cartridge type oil filters, containers were thick steel, and had brass drain plugs , and the elements were around 50 cents. GM went back to the cartridge filter, cheap piece of plastic, and where a screw on filter was 3 bucks, wanted 10 bucks for a piece of paper. Dealers also lied about replacing them.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
I am going to use OEM at 30k. Was $20.50 at dealership. I had a Wix air filter fail in less than 3k miles on my previous car. Had a one inch hole in it. I sleep better just using OEM now. Keeping it simple works for me.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
A 1-inch hole?! Are you sure it wasn’t caused by a mouse?
Positive. It was a know issue with some aftermarket filters. Saturn Techs alerted me to the problem and laughed. They did not tell me which brands they saw with the issue. The hole was in alignment with the tubing that sucks air into the engine. Used Fram the next 200k without issue. They had a more rigid design for the pleats.

·
Registered
835 Posts
It's always good to do a visual sanity check comparing the original to an aftermarket replacement.
For instance, many aftermarket thermostats look obviously flimsier and cheaper than the OEM 'stats in Asian cars.
I wouldn't use an aftermarket air filter if it didn't look and feel as sturdy and fit as snug as the OEM.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts