Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had the Nuvi on the lower left corner of the windshield but the glare is quite annoying. So, I'm trying other places. Right now it's down in the well where the sound input jacks are-the suction cup manages to grasp onto the side walls. It'll be hard to see down there, but I'll have the voice on, and maybe I should pay more attention to the road anyway:)
Not sure how reception will be down there either. Taking a trip tomorrow-we'll see.

Any other ideas?

·
Registered
1,180 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think you're at where I'm heading. The suction cup seems to adhere to the smooth sides-we'll see how it holds on the trip tomorrow. The sticky disk is quite permanent, as I recall, which I'm not crazy about, but your spot is more ideal.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
The sticky disk is quite permanent, as I recall, which I'm not crazy about.
I've used the disks before in other cars. What I do is only peel off a small amount of the backing paper that covers the adhesive. That way it's easy to peel the disk off. I've actually removed and reinstalled the disk on my Accent once already.

What I like about this installation is that there are no wires hanging anywhere. The adapter plugs in to the 12 volt power socket and is hidden by the Nuvi.

I also have an iPad that I often connect to the iPod jack next to the power socket. To save struggling with the GPS, I leave the iPod cable plugged all the time in and tuck it behind the Nuvi when it's not in use.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just read the thread-nice thread. That disk looks familiar-I think I used to have one or two from previous units, maybe I didn't throw one away, lol. There was a post from someone who mounted it like I did and it fell off when it got hot. Good to know that reception is acceptable down there.
Thanks.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've used the disks before in other cars. What I do is only peel off a small amount of the backing paper that covers the adhesive. That way it's easy to peel the disk off. I've actually removed and reinstalled the disk on my Accent once already.

What I like about this installation is that there are no wires hanging anywhere. The adapter plugs in to the 12 volt power socket and is hidden by the Nuvi.

I also have an iPad that I often connect to the iPod jack next to the power socket. To save struggling with the GPS, I leave the iPod cable plugged all the time in and tuck it behind the Nuvi when it's not in use.
Thanks for the tip on the disk. I agree about the neat look. Another factor for me is that the power plug is kind of large and gets in the way somewhat.

I would have to modify my current way of using the GPS, but that might not be a bad thing, as I said. I've noticed in my previous car, a MINI, that even though reflection wasn't a distraction, when I turned off the unit, I could "see" more. Same deal with turning off the display on the radio.

·
Registered
419 Posts
I stick mine dead center-very low on the windshield and use the telemetry feature to have a heads-up display for speed, etc. I don't use the map unless I need to. The cubby below would be fine, but I never want to look down to see it. Driving for my job, I would say that is the coolest, but most unsafe place to put it. If glare is the problem assuming night driving, just turn the display on the stereo "off" by hitting the display button. Cuts down glare at night dramatically. Everyone has a preference...this is my 2 cents. Be safe out there!

·
Registered
22 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,180 Posts
I have a vent clip for my Garmin Nuvi 50 (5 inch) in my '07 GS I mount it in the passenger side of the center A/C vents. Keeps it out of the sun and a bit out of sight from nosy people.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I use Navigon on my iPhone. I have a mount down where the power socket is and it holds the iPhone beside my gear shift. Nice location because I can plug it into power and don't have wires running cross my dash or anything. Everything is announced via Bluetooth, which is really nice. Integrates very well with the sound system in the car. Out of the way so the glare does not bother me, but easy enough to quickly glance at if I have to. But with the voice turn by turn directions, looking at the gps is really not needed.

I am using one of those $20 mounts you As Seen on TV ... the green sticky thing where you can put your phone (or gps) on and off ... no clips or anything. It is working well, stable, sturdy, etc. A quick rinse off every two weeks or so keeps it nice and tacky. Great height to get my phone up to the gear shift. Comes with a disk to fix inside the cubby hole and the suction mount connects there.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Up here, the "Gendarmes" really discourage putting anything on the windshield, so putting a GPS on there will draw undue attention from them.

So I put it down where the power socket is and it fits in nice and snug, no need for the suction cup either.

·
Premium Member
2,180 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
That's the same mount I have in my '07. It works flawlessly.
It's also low profile too. I made a little black cover from an old T-shirt to just put over it to blend it in and it's not so obvious like a dash or windshield mount. Someone walks by your car and looking in for stuff, they really can't see it and just keep looking, elsewhere.

·
Premium Member
2,180 Posts
Wow, they've nearly doubled the price since I bought mine a year ago. Just checked my order and I paid $4.70 for it. Still, worth it. It's a great little mount. I make sure to turn the vent off behind the Garmin so it doesn't overheat in the winter or get cold and condense in the summer.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts