Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I need to do a lower control arm with bushing, other than Hyundai, What is a good part Moogs or Duralast?

Also floor jack(I have 3 ton one), where do I place it under my car? When I install brakes, i place them on regular edge spots.

I need to raise the car up to do this job, where do I place the floor jack and jack stands? and wish me luck.

Pepboys quoting $500 per. I have get the part, rent concussion gun and sockets(youtube video), I have an aircompressor (125 psi)

Thanks,

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
Hi,

I need to do a lower control arm with bushing, other than Hyundai, What is a good part Moogs or Duralast?

Also floor jack(I have 3 ton one), where do I place it under my car? When I install brakes, i place them on regular edge spots.

I need to raise the car up to do this job, where do I place the floor jack and jack stands? and wish me luck.

Pepboys quoting $500 per. I have get the part, rent concussion gun and sockets(youtube video), I have an aircompressor (125 psi)

Thanks,
Here is a guide to a R and R on a SM model santa fe. Won't be exactly like your model, but should give you an idea about how to go about this:

·
Registered
2007 Honda CRV
4,597 Posts
Duralast???
Autozone's gold parts are supplied by Moog but not using their latest tech design
Genuine Moog parts are good but expensive
They are much better than Dorman
But sometimes you can only get Dorman parts

Hey location PA, you live in the rust belt
This means all work done on car will take three times as long
Getting rusty bolts off are near impossible
But, you may get lucky

Good luck

·
Registered
882 Posts
You can jack right under the lower control arm, then put jack stand under the subframe. You can use floor mat to prevent any damage

·
Registered
08 Santa Fe 2.7 Automatic
316 Posts
dorman and beck arnley control arms for this car get a thumbs down from me. now i have a moog ball joint in a beck arnie control arm. not a year yet but it's still good.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
in the comments it states usually 130 foot pounds... I have to find an impact wrench....this thursday, I will be hero or.............not!

·
Registered
882 Posts
Which brand of control arms you bought? I got MEVOTECH supreme control arms and after a few months the bushings worn out. I can't see any crack on the rubber, but they just got too soft and hit the frame when breaking/accelerating, from both sides. Mechanics confirmed that with me last week. I'm going to get OEM control arms

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
How man foot pounds on the impact wrench???
If you use an impact wrench, you don't know how much torque you're putting on the fastener. Use a torque wrench.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
In one of the Videos it's 130 foot pounds....

Off the next two days, putting on PB Blaster on the bolts and get down to it!...wooo hooo.....

I have a breaker bar...like always praying for the best

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Help!!!!!! I did manage to get the control arm off, I have the two bolts on in the back,BUT I can not get the bushen in.....I have bang on that from 2pm till 8pm last night.....it wont go in. I have tryed to open the collar a bit so it slids, greased it oiled, prayed to it. NO go

it looks like its uneven as it goes in....

freaken me out!!!!

and trying to move that thing(ne bushen) is killing me.

Help and no I can not drive IT!

any ideas

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i put the jack under the frame and use jack stands to support it. The durlast arm fits, but tight, the ball joint is tight to move. I hear use a wood block to slam it in......also Pepboys replaced my sway bars in february guess, drive side is broke. I cant line up that bushing right to knock it in.....arch!

·
Registered
08 Santa Fe 2.7 Automatic
316 Posts
don't forget you can move the knuckle around a bit to help line it up. if the joint is still to far out pull it down and tap it with a rubber mallet or something soft. take the pinch bolt all the way out. it won't go in all the way with it in even if the castle isn't on.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
thank you WD-50 I think I did that.

@10:30am The driver side was done:) wooohooooo I tryed the block of wood.... so so luck

I did get it in.

passenger side was done by 5:30!!!! yesss...

I did figure it out ,,,,, yes durlast are very tight

get some sand paper(black sand paper) and rub it around the joint...take the black stuff off the joint and rub it in the collar and wipe that off as well.

line it up.....wham and wack! it's in!!!!!!!!!!!!!

next up....crank shaft sensor.

thank you all again and good night gracie lol!!!

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I got some noise from the car during crusing....

I finally figured out it was the sway bar linkage which was broke prior to my control arms install. I install the linkage ($20 @ Autozone) and Wham...no sound!.

I saved about $1,000 dollars on this job. I still have to get alignment...but still:)

Thanks again!

·
Banned
6,990 Posts
in the comments it states usually 130 foot pounds... I have to find an impact wrench....this thursday, I will be hero or.............not!
A 25" or longer breaker bar will allow a weak person to achieve 130 ft lbs.

Torque wrench is good but not absolute.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts