Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning to replace my fuel gauge sending units. I have all the standard issues, standard codes, etc. I'm finally getting around to it because I'll have to pass emissions in a couple of months. My question is about sourcing them. Are the ones from the dealer better, or enough better to justify the cost? Where have people gotten them, and has anybody had bad experiences with any? I'm seeing the best prices on Partsgeek: part number SKP SK911048

(My post count isn't high enough for a link, sorry. you can search for that on partsgeek dot com and it'll come right up)

Does anyone know whether those contain both driver and passenger sides, or jsut on or the other? I'd hate to end up with just one.

Thanks!

·
Banned
6,990 Posts
How about giving us the codes?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I honestly don't remember, it has been over a year since I had them checked. When I did, there were a couple of different ones that all seemed to have to do with the Fuel level sensor, high output. Do the different codes indicate some different way forward? I had the impression they were all just telling me that something with the sensor was bad, and the simplest way for me to deal with it was to just replace both.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Fuel level sender is about every other month anymore,,, we was doing a few set a week...

Do both, part been changed design.. should be on shelf at most any local Hyundai dealer in the part dept.. tell them you want senders,, person about should be able to just walk back to bin and grab

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Do both, part been changed design.. should be on shelf at most any local Hyundai dealer in the part dept.. tell them you want senders,, person about should be able to just walk back to bin and grab
Does the design change mean that the dealer part is going to be superior to what I'd get from partsgeek? or are the aftermarket parts redesigned as well?

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Does the design change mean that the dealer part is going to be superior to what I'd get from partsgeek? or are the aftermarket parts redesigned as well?
I do not know what a "partgeek" part look like... Hyundai part in the dealership in Hyundai box come from a Hyundai approved supplier who supply part to Hyundai specification

I kinda look at it like oil filter,, anybody and monkey can take a can and stuff it with something and call it an oil filter,, but with the Hyundai label on it, I know it built to Hyundai specification

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I changed the passenger side, and am in the process of changing the driver's side (with the fuel pump). When I got it out, one (both?) of the wires on the other connector-- NOT the fuel level sending unit-- looked suspect. They are dark, like maybe they got a little singed at some point. Maybe a short, or just overheating? I can't see any other evidence of such, but...
Can anybody tell me if a) this is nothing to worry about, or b) a probably problem that should be addressed before I go to the trouble of closing this thing back up? Also, if it needs attention, er, what is it? It looks phenomenally easy to replace as long as I'm in here anyway, just that connector at the top and the wires lead to spade connectors on the pump.
I really appreciate some help, would hate to close this back up and need to go back in.

Attachments

·
Banned
6,990 Posts
I changed the passenger side, and am in the process of changing the driver's side (with the fuel pump). When I got it out, one (both?) of the wires on the other connector-- NOT the fuel level sending unit-- looked suspect. They are dark, like maybe they got a little singed at some point. Maybe a short, or just overheating? I can't see any other evidence of such, but...

That's the feed to the pump motor and is normal.

Can anybody tell me if a) this is nothing to worry about, or b) a probably problem that should be addressed before I go to the trouble of closing this thing back up? Also, if it needs attention, er, what is it? It looks phenomenally easy to replace as long as I'm in here anyway, just that connector at the top and the wires lead to spade connectors on the pump.
I really appreciate some help, would hate to close this back up and need to go back in.
Close it up.

Reactions: harrism

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks, just did. As I was explaining to my 12yo what I was looking at, it dawned on me that this thing lives in gas tank. If I try had shorted and burned, I'm pretty sure the CEL would be the least of my concerns!

Reactions: grcauto

·
Banned
6,990 Posts
Thanks, just did. As I was explaining to my 12yo what I was looking at, it dawned on me that this thing lives in gas tank. If I try had shorted and burned, I'm pretty sure the CEL would be the least of my concerns!
Yep...:surprise:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just for an update, I installed the Dorman parts and everything seems to be working as it should. No codes came back (including an evap code that I was worried might be unrelated and require more work) and it passed emissions. If the parts stop working any time soon, I'll post an update, but I don't expect any problems there. Time to move on to other unrelated problems!

Thanks to everyone for your help!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts