Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2001 Sonata 2.4L, 5-speed manual transmission Dual Mass Flywheel is definitely broken. Where can I find a new or used one? So far, all I've found is around $1200 from Hyundai Dealer; around $800-900 from aftermarket OEMs; and "Used" for around $500. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
You DO NOT want a used flywheel... Pony up and buy new OE wheel at dealer and do it right the first time, TOO MUCH work to do it a second or third time in & out.

·
Registered
15 Posts
What is the difference between a dual mass flywheel and any others? I have a flywheel / pressure plate from a 2.4 short block I purchased that is about to be sold along with my old block as scrap iron. Perhaps it would help? As for going back to the dealer and spending a thousand bucks for a new one, I would consider scraping the car first.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Dual mass weighs a bunch, and the friction suface float in the flywheel, where a std style has solid flywheel/friction surface, and the disc' hub has springs for load cushioning.

Dual mass friction surface cannot be resurfaced like a std wheel..

·
Registered
15 Posts
This is the flywheel I have. It is very heavy and does not seem to be one piece. Let me know if it will do anyone any good.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
QUOTE (keninman @ May 3 2010, 05:27 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=319034
This is the flywheel I have. It is very heavy and does not seem to be one piece. Let me know if it will do anyone any good.

That is a dual mass flywheel in the pic.

·
Registered
48 Posts
1.) Is your car still under the 100,000 mi warranty? You could always get it done for free under the powertrain warranty assuming its still in effect for your 2001 model.

2.) You should be able to buy an aftermarket part over the internet. I personally wouldn't spend that much on a dealer part for such an old vehicle.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts