Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2000 Sonata, V6, Automatic, I just want to know where the TCM located in my vehicle? is it under the hood or in or around the Transmission?

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
I have a 2000 Sonata, V6, Automatic, I just want to know where the TCM located in my vehicle? is it under the hood or in or around the Transmission?
Center dash, below radio, on floor.. with foor on accell pedal, sweep foot to right and touch the panel... your PCM and TCM is behind that panel

TCM is on top, PCM is below on the floor

Reactions: jasper180268

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I want to thank you,,,, and when I took the side panel off by the accelerator,,, voila there it was. Another question,,, can it be re-programmed or if I end up getting a new module does it have to be re-programmed also?

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
New module from Hyundai has last software edition applicable at time of module manufacture and packaging.. any further updates offered by Hyundai would need updating at dealer using GDS.. plug in, ID vehicle, go to ECU UPGRADE, auto mode, next, it'll read ROM for selected module, and if update applicable, it'll off it to you for continuing to update.

FYI, we rarely,,, if ever have to replace PCM or TCM.. what is your reason for thinking you need new/replacement unit ??

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well while I was driving down the street it shifts from 1st to 3rd for no parent reason and it give a good hard shift and it stays that way and then when you turn the vehicle off for a while it goes back to normal for a day or two. It only happens every 2 days. I know its not the transmission itself it is fine.

·
Registered
2 Posts
it might be the output speed sensor. Had the same problem and it was the transmission output speed sensor. Located under the air filter case on the top of the transmission.

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
Get the codes as a starting point, lots of parts that can be changed.

But yeah I have seen an output sensor do that.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yep I second that, I've had to change them out twice. first time was in 2008 and second time just recently this year. hoping it doesnt happen again, but every now and then it does.

·
Registered
16 Posts
mine had to replace input and output speed sensors =(

it would slam into "limp mode" no matter what speed i was going. that was LOADS of fun!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Where is a good Auto Parts to test the TCM here in Amarillo, TX? We have a O'Rielly's they are not worth it. We also have AutoZone. What do you think?

·
Registered
1 Posts
hi guys I have a 2007 Hyundai sonata 2.4l, I just payed Hyundai $340 to tell me my tcm is stuffed and it will cost $5500 to replace, does anyone no if I buy a second hand one with the same model number will it be plug and play?

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Wrong forum. Anyway, for 5500$ you better get a different vehicle. Chevy Epica is nice ...
First of all, get a second opinion. Maybe you wanna enlighten us what the problem is that made you approach the dealer ?
TCM failures are rare. Most times it is sensors, solenoids n' stuff that makes the A/Ts act up.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts