Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Everyone hello,
I own the 2017 model Hyundai Elantra. There's an original multimedia system on the car, 7 "Does anyone know where the GPS antenna is?
Thank you so much

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
Portable GPS units get by with run on a PCB. frequency is similar to a cell phone, do not see external antennas on these either. All deals with the development of an LNA, a very low noise amplifier in the neighborhood of -165dbm. Amplifying a weak signal was never a problem, but it is the noise that comes along with it was the major problem.

But apparently not enough for the Elantra, uses an external for five different functions all mounted in that so-called shark fin antenna. Sure helps with a garage door opener, good block away compared to a tiny remote, darn near have to be on top of it.

But still has problems picking up geosynchronous satellite signals, they are located about 25,000 miles above the equator and their relative position with the rotation of the earth is fixed. The further you go north, the lower these are, where I live, only about 22 degrees above the horizon blocked by buildings and trees so do not get any Bluelink nor XM signals at all. GPS satellites are constantly moving around the earth, can easily pick up to five, they are overhead.

If they could put these transmitted signals in GPS satellites, would not be a problem, ha, maybe next year.

Goggle maps in your smart phone, does not use GPS satellites, triangulates your position with microwave antennas, you can see these towers about every ten miles on a flat interstate. But if driving in sparse country, like here up north, no reception, so neither does your maps or even cell phone communication works. But GPS always works.

Does this sound complicated? Well it is.

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
16,116 Posts
Everyone hello,
I own the 2017 model Hyundai Elantra. There's an original multimedia system on the car, 7 "Does anyone know where the GPS antenna is?
Thank you so much
Not had to work on any 2017 models yet but generally models with navigation have an aerial on the roof for the GPS.

The aerial for the radio is built into the rear windscreen, I believe.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The main reason why I ask for the location of the GPS antenna is that it can not find any satellites. On the vehicle ceiling was removed for floor paint. After that, no satellites could catch the signal. The service says that the multimedian should be removed and serviced, but the device performs all its functions perfectly except for satellite channels. before the ceiling was pulled out, it had a perfect signal. In this case, I suspect that the antenna cable is not connected, but the service says that there are indicators behind the windshield that the GPS antenna is not in the pan. So the question is, where is the gps antenna?

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
This should settle this discussion as to the location of then antennas, three of them, all located within the confines of that shark fin antenna. AM/FM antennas are in the glass.

Total of five different antennas feeding this radio. Why was that roof panel removed? Did they break one of the cables, in particular, the one for the GPS?

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This should settle this discussion as to the location of then antennas, three of them, all located within the confines of that shark fin antenna. AM/FM antennas are in the glass.

Total of five different antennas feeding this radio. Why was that roof panel removed? Did they break one of the cables, in particular, the one for the GPS?
Many thanks for the scheme. I am happy if you can also tell me the route the antenna cable from the device follows in the car.

The sunroof window was broken. Hail squall had to be painted with paint. During the demolition process, I think the car's gps antenna cable is not connected to the shark fin tent if it is on the roof.

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
This site shows the cable routing and the part numbers and prices of the components, if they have to be replaced, could also be unplugged.

https://www.hyundaipartsdeal.com/pa...antra-us-alabama-made/antenna.html?PNC=96210L

Have to remove the roof panel trim to get any kind of access. Who did the work?

Unfortunately over the years heard this same old story many times, my this or that was working perfectly fine before I brought my vehicle in for you to do something else. Don't seem to have this problem if I do the work myself.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
This site shows the cable routing and the part numbers and prices of the components, if they have to be replaced, could also be unplugged.

Have to remove the roof panel trim to get any kind of access. Who did the work?

Unfortunately over the years heard this same old story many times, my this or that was working perfectly fine before I brought my vehicle in for you to do something else. Don't seem to have this problem if I do the work myself.
First of all thank you very much. The diagram on your link is exactly what I'm looking for. Roof repair hyundai turkey made an official service. I got the car from them too. The funny thing is, the official service does not know that the GPS antenna is on the roof. he is asserting that he is somewhere else. I will take the print and show it to them.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts