Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I looked all over, but I don't see it. Is it in the fuel tank?

There is a big plastic box between the fuel tank and the rear driver side wheel. It looks like there's fuel lines going into that, but it seems like a big PITA to open up, as it's held on by a big metal bracket, and the box is held closed by a big zip tie. What's in there?

I got a Wix filter from RockAuto. Here's what it looks like:

Attachments

·
Registered
565 Posts
It's a PITA because it screws into the fuel line terminations. Mine wasn't budging...

·
Registered
565 Posts
No. It is under car, by driver door.

·
Registered
565 Posts
It's raining and dark now, so I cannot take a pic. My Sonata is a 2000 2.5L V6, yours might be different?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'll double check tomorrow, but I did not see anything like that anywhere under the car.

I'm guessing it's in the plastic box by the rear driver side wheel. The diagram 13SonataScott posted shows the strap (1799JD) that holds the box together, but not the box itself.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Black plastic box is EVAP canister, not a fuel line component.. Early Sonata had an external filter in the fuel line between left front corner of fuel tank and floor pan.. this late in game, and depending on your climate, you might just find the fittings and line overgrown in heavy duty rust.. likely best to leave it alone, other wise you into unknown fuel line replacement from tank to filter, and from filter to engine bay.. can get to be a royal disaster of job.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Found the filter. The lines are seized on it pretty good. I did a bunch of work on the car not that long ago, so I'd hate to have it crap out just because of a fuel filter.

I'll be taking it in to get a wheel bearing replaced, so I guess I'll have the shop to the filter.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts