Hyundai Forums banner

where is starter relay (exact location) on 1992 Hyundai Excel

5K views 30 replies 7 participants last post by  medsurg12 
#1 ·
hello 1.5 liter, standard shift 1992 Hyundai Excel..does anyone know where the STARTER RELAY is located? I can't find it anywhere.
thank you.

#10 ·
I have a manual that goes back to 92 and it says there is a starter relay. at M0-5 whatever that means. Looks like it's in a fuse/relay box of some sort under the dash near the steering column or perhaps same location but on the fwd side of the firewall. Very poor diagram. Flasher unit and blower relay are in the same box. Maybe if you put a flasher on and follow the sound of that relay clicking.

#17 ·
Looks like they took them out after considering their not necessary.
Actually, they added them in after realising they were necessary.
There was a bulletin to deal with intermittent non start on the earlier models that didn't come with a START relay. The bulletin instructed you to fit a "non start repair kit" to cure the problem. The repair kit was just a voltage drop relay that you connected between the ignition switch and the starter solenoid...

If I helped you fix it, why not...

Your support is greatly appreciated

#25 ·
My comment was for Autospark. A relay on the starter soleniod will help if there's a voltage drop in the starter crank circuit a very common problem on older cars not factory fitted with a relay and obviously your car model had a problem in that area. So a new starter made no difference. Have you checked all the cables, connection and earth points? The laymas way is to prevent the engine from starting (disconnect injectors or ignition system) and crank it for about 30 seconds then touch all the cables etc and if you find a hot one you have a voltage drop. Be careful of burning yourself.

#26 ·
I did find the starter relay on the car and swapped it out with one other with same part number..i cleaned all the grounds, and cables are good..i will have my mechanic friend recheck the grounds..thanks mystery to me.I hate to change this starter out again if its not it!

#31 ·
the original shop manual for my 92 excel says the relays are under PASSENGER SIDE..this is a misprint as location shows relay at MO5 position which is Drivers side under dash inside car. the starter relay is seperate from the starter solenoid and is the last one ob bottom far left. thank all of you for your help..something still not Kosher.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.