Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello 1.5 liter, standard shift 1992 Hyundai Excel..does anyone know where the STARTER RELAY is located? I can't find it anywhere.
thank you.

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
It's mounted on the starter motor, the solenoid is the relay.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oreileys Auto parts list a four prong starter relay for a 1992 Hyundai excel..dont know why as i cannot find mine..think it is in the starter like u guys said?

·
Registered
3,697 Posts
It may be a universal relay. I have fitted them to cars that have starting issues and never had one not fix the problem of a voltage drop in the solenoid switching circuit. I guess that's why most manufacturers fit them to their cars.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
2 auto stores sell them but I have NO IDEA where the relay goes..it says its for a 92 hyundai excel

·
Registered
253 Posts
I have a manual that goes back to 92 and it says there is a starter relay. at M0-5 whatever that means. Looks like it's in a fuse/relay box of some sort under the dash near the steering column or perhaps same location but on the fwd side of the firewall. Very poor diagram. Flasher unit and blower relay are in the same box. Maybe if you put a flasher on and follow the sound of that relay clicking.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You haven't said why your looking for it. Do you have a starting problem?
yes The old starter was intermittent..sometimes would crank and start, other times i turn the key to start and nothing..other times it was a slow crank...the new starter is doing the same thing whether the engine is hot or cold. ...i cannot find a starter relay diagram anywhere..and some are telling me there isn't one, that its in the starter solenoid while others (two stores) have a starter relay in stock for that make, year, and model car. 92 hyundai excel. thanks

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have a manual that goes back to 92 and it says there is a starter relay. at M0-5 whatever that means. Looks like it's in a fuse/relay box of some sort under the dash near the steering column or perhaps same location but on the fwd side of the firewall. Very poor diagram. Flasher unit and blower relay are in the same box. Maybe if you put a flasher on and follow the sound of that relay clicking.
I can see my flasher relay but all the other relays are gold..still not sure which one it is..but thank u very much..what the heck is MO-5?

·
Registered
3,697 Posts
Well look at that. My genuine manual for a 1999 says they don't have one. Looks like they took them out after considering their not necessary. My suggestion is the fit a relay the the solenoid

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
14,628 Posts
Looks like they took them out after considering their not necessary.
Actually, they added them in after realising they were necessary.
There was a bulletin to deal with intermittent non start on the earlier models that didn't come with a START relay. The bulletin instructed you to fit a "non start repair kit" to cure the problem. The repair kit was just a voltage drop relay that you connected between the ignition switch and the starter solenoid...

If I helped you fix it, why not...

Your support is greatly appreciated

·
Registered
253 Posts
Excellent information from Autospark, as usual. Looks like the op's problem of occasional "no start" is addressed by a bulletin. Now to find out if this mod has been done to this car or not.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts