Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a module from my insurance company to plug into the port. It's almost obviously that it is on the driver's side under the dash. Read the manual and couldn't find anything related to it's location. Can someone please point me in the right direction? Actual diagram or photos would be wonderful! :D

Thanks,
Patt

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Act like you going to check fuses at the left lower corner of the dash panel..

Pop the cover off (might have FUSE or OBD molded to panel)

·
Registered
759 Posts
Yup, the dashboard panel where you left knee would be. My module would only fit if I kept the panel removed - as once installed, it was too big to be able to put the panel back into place. I wasn't willing to drive around with a big hole in my dash - so I sent it back.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks - found it! A friend with an Audi had to shimmy way up towards the back of the dash. Was kind of hoping it was the same for the SFS. Put it in, forget about it and drive.

Can't exactly forget about it when it doesn't quite fit. The unit is made by CalAmp and it's 2 1/2 inches long. Dang, wish they would shave off about 1/2 inch.

Guess if I'm saving $$$ we can just live with hole. Not so noticeable with the black interior anyways. We'll see.........

·
Registered
444 Posts
It's a GPS tracker to monitor your driving style, if you don't floor it all the time and keep it under 80mph, you get 10% off, that's how it is with Allstate.

·
Registered
37 Posts
You might want to do a Google search on problems with having that device installed. Some folks have had electrical and even computer module problems that (right or wrong) they blame on that device. Google it and make your own decision.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Why would your insurance company have you install this? Do they monitor your driving style?
My insurance company doesn't require that the module is installed. It's my choice to eventually save up to 30% off my rates.

The habits that trigger an event are jackrabbit starts, hard breaking, hard cornering and speeding over 71.9 mph (at least in Wisconsin where the max limit is still 65). Other insurance companies may look at different bad habits.

The module does not know who is driving the vehicle. Since it's my vehicle it's all my driving. Bring on that great discount! :D

·
Registered
759 Posts
It can bring on the discounts... but also surcharges. If you're driving further then you said you were, rates could go up. It also monitors hard braking/acceleration - too much, and rates could go up.
For the most part, our SFS's are our daily drivers - and we all want lower rates, so we drive properly.... just pointing out it's not all about discounts.

·
Registered
427 Posts
It can bring on the discounts... but also surcharges. If you're driving further then you said you were, rates could go up. It also monitors hard braking/acceleration - too much, and rates could go up.
For the most part, our SFS's are our daily drivers - and we all want lower rates, so we drive properly.... just pointing out it's not all about discounts.
Just because you think that they are out to get you does not mean that they aren't. (Other drivers that is) ^_^

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Insurance black boxes are getting bad press - you only get cheaper insurance if you drive better than the average driver with a black box - but since all drivers with boxes fitted are trying to drive carefully, you have little or no chance of saving money!

·
Registered
427 Posts
Is this scenario off topic?

But yah, the Insurance Companies are reverting to 1984 because we let them. You can purchase some place else if you think it will cost you more to be recorded!!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Insurance black boxes are getting bad press - you only get cheaper insurance if you drive better than the average driver with a black box - but since all drivers with boxes fitted are trying to drive carefully, you have little or no chance of saving money!
That has not been my experience with the "black box."

I had a Toyota Sequoia that I drove very little (about 2500 miles a year). I got the InDrive device from State Farm and had it in the vehicle for about a year. The savings on insurance premiums was about 30%. This was worthwhile.

I have not installed this in my SF. I put a lot more mileage on this vehicle and do a lot more freeway driving at higher speeds.

My thoughts are that the comparison of driving patterns would not be between the folks who have the devices installed against others with the devices. Instead it would be between those with it installed against the universe of drivers. Also, my suspicion would be that those drivers who take the risk of having the devices installed are going to be the type drivers who do not exceed speed limits regularly and present other driving patterns that could be considered risky. This latter type driver could possibly be hurting themselves premium-wise to allowing the insurance company to monitor their every day driving patterns.

·
Registered
16 Posts
None of this sounds like any fun. I want to give her some gas from time to time when the time is right and it's safe to do so. Unfortunately the boxes can't tell what's going on around you.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts