Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I needed some help getting up an icy hill, and a blessed good samaritan pulled me up with his AWD subaru outback. His Subaru had a U-shaped hook underneath the rear bumper so it was easy to attach a rope to that. But we could not find any tow hooks under my Sonata. Checked the manual, no info in there.

We had to attach the rope to the Sonata this macgyver way - pop the hood, drop the rope down behind the rad until it hits the ground, then pull it through and repeat a few times. When he pulled and the rope when tight you could hear it squeeze the plastic and I think it might have tore itself through the plastic cover on the bottom of the car but otherwise the car was ok.

Does the Sonata not have a tow hook? Am I supposed to drive this car only in good weather on level ground? :confused:

where is the proper place on my car to attach a tow rope? if there isn't one, how can I install one? :)

·
22,793 Posts
Since I'm not familiar with the tow features of the Sonata, I'll ask: Is there a small silver dollar-sized disc on the front of your bumper? If so, there is a threaded eyebolt used for towing located in your trunk where the spare tire is usually found. Pop open the disc, thread the eyebolt into the hole. Done. Pull/tow away!

Towing is usually explained in great detail in your owner's manual.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did not see a disc but I will check the spare tire and see if there is a bolt in there.

Nothing in the manual about towing, except by a tow truck, the type where the truck lifts it up by the wheels.

·
Registered
134 Posts
As far as I know there is nothing resembling a tow hook on the Sonata. Nor on most other cars, these days anyway. Might I suggest investing in some snow tires?

·
Registered
729 Posts
The Sonatas don't have a tow hook option. The only "authorized" way of towing is by tow truck. Frankly, I think this was a big oversight by Hyundai but they might have their reasons.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Towing out when stuck

The best way to pull out a stuck car is to loop a tow rope through the spokes of a rear wheel rim. That wheel will just slide as it is pulled out. I have done this many times with no damage, but it will not replace a tow truck if you are really badly stuck. Rims are quite strong, but you must be careful.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Any access to an axle on these cars? I find it hard to believe there's not something strong enough on the undercarriage to attach a rope to, for the purposes of simply pulling it out

·
22,793 Posts
Any access to an axle on these cars? I find it hard to believe there's not something strong enough on the undercarriage to attach a rope to, for the purposes of simply pulling it out
I've been mulling this over where my (and other's) Elantra is concerned. If it didn't have the tow hook accessory option, I'm not so sure it could be towed without one of those wreckers that pick it up from the front wheels.

I can see a hook placed underneath crushing the plastic front bumper once the winch tightens up. Not a pretty picture.

·
Registered
21 Posts
tow hooks

Yesterday I needed some help getting up an icy hill, and a blessed good samaritan pulled me up with his AWD subaru outback. His Subaru had a U-shaped hook underneath the rear bumper so it was easy to attach a rope to that. But we could not find any tow hooks under my Sonata. Checked the manual, no info in there.

We had to attach the rope to the Sonata this macgyver way - pop the hood, drop the rope down behind the rad until it hits the ground, then pull it through and repeat a few times. When he pulled and the rope when tight you could hear it squeeze the plastic and I think it might have tore itself through the plastic cover on the bottom of the car but otherwise the car was ok.

Does the Sonata not have a tow hook? Am I supposed to drive this car only in good weather on level ground? :confused:

where is the proper place on my car to attach a tow rope? if there isn't one, how can I install one? :)
@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
I have a 2001 with 2 tow loops under the front bumper, how ever its a 2001 so maybe they have changed the location or deleted the hooks completely ,try to Google image it :eek:

·
Registered
89 Posts
There must be anchor points under the body, or tow truck drivers would not be able to load the car. Apparently, modern vehicles have slots in the frame that take a T shaped attachment for retrieval and tie down, but these slots are not readily accessible or suitable for normal towing with a rope by another vehicle. Also, this image from a Sonata review, showing a rear underbody point for retrieval.

http://www.team-bhp.com/carpics/HyundaiSonata/l/exterior/hyundai-sonata-24.jpg

1 - 11 of 11 Posts