Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a Morimoto kit for my 2013 SF and I can't figure out where to mount the relays. I did the Morimoto kit in my Sonata and it was easier because the engine bay is smaller, but no matter where I test fit the relays in the SF I come up short on the wiring. I know I'm not the first one to have trouble with this. What did you guys come up with?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You talking relays or ballasts?
Relays. I called The Retrofit Source before I ordered and they told me for my 2013 LWB I *need* their HD Relay harness with anti-flicker capacitors. Thanks to the first link you posted, I see that many guys have used the can-bus harnesses without any trouble. This will drastically cut down on wiring. I emailed TRS asking if they'll issue a return authorization for the HD Relay harness and capacitors they told me I needed.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Did LED’s. To h*ll with those HID’s. Never had any luck with those. Always replacing boxes and they are big and bulky. LED is the way to go

·
Registered
441 Posts
Did LED’s. To h*ll with those HID’s. Never had any luck with those. Always replacing boxes and they are big and bulky. LED is the way to go
Once you have HID's, you might see tings differently (pun intended).

HID came standard with our 2018 SPS 2.0T Ultimate (the only model where it's offered. We think they work even better than the LED's...especially when you're driving at night on those dark lonely country roads.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Once you have HID's, you might see tings differently (pun intended).

HID came standard with our 2018 SPS 2.0T Ultimate (the only model where it's offered. We think they work even better than the LED's...especially when you're driving at night on those dark lonely country roads.
I have had plenty of cars and trucks with HID's. LED's are just as bright without the hassle of ballast. I travel dark roads daily and rarely use my high beams.

·
Registered
441 Posts
I have had plenty of cars and trucks with HID's. LED's are just as bright without the hassle of ballast. I travel dark roads daily and rarely use my high beams.
That's good.

But many others do use high beams, and HIDs provide superior/safer viewing ahead. It appears some folks don't mind the conversion...I know a friend of mine who has a Genesis, and he upgraded to HID's, is very pleased with the results, and hasn't looked back. Also, when the vehicle come with the HIDs..there is no hassle.

·
Registered
29 Posts
(Fixed) I travel dark roads nightly 0:)

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've had great luck with the Morimoto products from The Retrofit Source so far (knock on wood). I have a kit in my Sonata and it's amazing. I have tried LED bulbs but nothing can beat a decent HID setup.

I did more searching around the forum and I saw a thread where someone used the can-bus adapters instead of the standard HD relay harness. Has anyone else used the can-bus adapter successfully?

https://www.theretrofitsource.com/canbus-morimoto-standalone.html

·
Registered
2017 SFS 2.0 T Ultimate
782 Posts
I've had great luck with the Morimoto products from The Retrofit Source so far (knock on wood). I have a kit in my Sonata and it's amazing. I have tried LED bulbs but nothing can beat a decent HID setup.

I did more searching around the forum and I saw a thread where someone used the can-bus adapters instead of the standard HD relay harness. Has anyone else used the can-bus adapter successfully?

https://www.theretrofitsource.com/canbus-morimoto-standalone.html
My roomate had the opposite. They sent him the kit, the wires aren't long enough to attach the relay to the metal like you're supposed to. They said he could pay extra to get longer wires.

One of the lights had a mismatched tab so you couldn't lock it into the socket. They made him send in pictures to prove that one was different than the other (the other one worked fine). He did.

They accused him of sending in the picture of the high beam headlight.

He ended up having to spend another $40 for another low-beam HID that fit.

Their customer support suck, IMO.

·
Registered
2017 SFS 2.0 T Ultimate
782 Posts
I'll double check, but I'm fairly certain it was TRS.

Yes, it was The Retrofit Store.

Ironically yesterday his headlights (low beams) don't work.
Unfortunately Retrofit Store didn't include the test lead like the Morimoto instructions (from Retrofit Store's website), so it'll make troubleshooting a total bear.

Avoid Retrofit Store, IMO.

Not really keen on Morimoto's quality either (one bulb didn't fit and now less than a year later something dies).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts