Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I got a flat in my month old Elantra last night. After calling Hyundai Roadside Assistance and waiting for an hour and a half for a call back, I decided to use the tire repair kit. It worked and I was able to drive to the dealer and am waiting to get the tire repaired today. I'm now thinking it might be wise for me to invest in a spare wheel and tire. It was 3.5 hours before I eventually got a call back from Hyundai Roadside Assistance, by which time I was already home, so am not confident in their ability to get to me in a timely manner.
Where did you buy the wheel and tire from, and how much did you pay. Places other than junk yards please. I've seen one on ebay for $170.00 with $25.00 shipping, but would like to spend less than that if possible.

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Why not go to a wrecking yard. I got a unused spare w/ rim from a salvage yard for $20. They even test fit it for free.

·
22,788 Posts
+1 First choice, IMO. Salvage yards can save you a wad of cash as opposed to buying new. Not the "salvage yards of yester-year": the old gruff-looking, non-shaven geezer with a half-smoked cigar hanging off his lip. Many of today's yards are pretty impressive, knowledgeable, helpful, nice personnel, and extensive inventories.

Chances are, there are cars in that yard that have never had their spare on the ground. That's always been my first choice. Not that I don't have the $$$ to spend on OEM, it's just not my style to pay for something new than I can get gently used (sometimes new) for pennies on the dollar. The savings goes into the gas filler tube.

Even the scissor jacks out of an old Honda or Toyota, etc., will do the trick and are cheap when compared to new.

Bottom line, as opposed to $170 plus $20 freight, I'll pay the $20-40 or so, for the used wheel and spare, jack, lug wrench, etc. Put the $150 I saved into the Hip National Bank as I drive away.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Maybe I could go the junk yard route, I just assumed I would have to go searching around wrecked cars myself looking for the part I need, but a quick look online suggests that may not be the case. Another question: Is it safe to use a 15inch wheel on a car that normally takes 16inch wheels, or do I need to find a spare that is 16inch?

·
22,788 Posts
Is it safe to use a 15inch wheel on a car that normally takes 16inch wheels, or do I need to find a spare that is 16inch?
I'll defer to someone more experienced than I am for this answer. I'm running 17" wheels on my E.

·
Registered
38 Posts
i bought a matching 17 inch rim from rockauto.com and the jack and tire iron kit on amazon.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Hold the phone--- Do you guys not get a spare wheel as standard with your Elantra MD??

It is a standard here that we get the exact rim for our Elantras, so if we need to change a tyre it looks exactly the same as the 17' Alloy Rim.

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Hold the phone--- Do you guys not get a spare wheel as standard with your Elantra MD??

It is a standard here that we get the exact rim for our Elantras, so if we need to change a tyre it looks exactly the same as the 17' Alloy Rim.
Yes, none in the United States. Only a air pump and can of sealant. Oh Yeah, and a large mass of Styrofoam filling the spot where the tire would sit. If that Styrofoam doubled as a cooler they might have had something there but a no go for that.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Yes, none in the United States. Only a air pump and can of sealant. Oh Yeah, and a large mass of Styrofoam filling the spot where the tire would sit. If that Styrofoam doubled as a cooler they might have had something there but a no go for that.
Wow that would not go down well here. Is that the case for a large portion of the US Automotive Industry? A "Fix on the Spot" rather than a decent contingency?

·
Registered
245 Posts
In Canada, we get the spare tire kit with donut tire.

·
22,788 Posts
and a large mass of Styrofoam filling the spot where the tire would sit. If that Styrofoam doubled as a cooler they might have had something there but a no go for that.
+1 :beer: I toast this recommendation, sir. That, is a GREAT idea! Or a small Hibachi? Just thinking out of the box...

·
Registered
639 Posts
I got the OEM spare tire kit (wheel, jack, etc.) from Hyundai on AMAZON and the tire on ebay, although afterward realized Discount Tire here has them as well. Other tire shops might also.

·
Registered
68 Posts
What would you guys pay for a new Elantra 1.8mt with no tech package? They start here at about R270k which translates to just under $27,000,

Just want to gauge why you don't get a full alloy spare? Maybe your guys is significantly cheaper. Would explain a bit

·
22,788 Posts
What would you guys pay for a new Elantra 1.8mt with no tech package? They start here at about R270k which translates to just under $27,000...
I just went online and grabbed the first site that pulled up. About a 100 miles away. I'm certain that the 4 dealers near me are competitive. Just a comparison, Stuart, to give you an idea. Meet and Greet - Elantra

·
Registered
68 Posts
I just went online and grabbed the first site that pulled up. About a 100 miles away. I'm certain that the 4 dealers near me are competitive. Just a comparison, Stuart, to give you an idea. Meet and Greet - Elantra
Thanks, by the looks of it, much cheaper than here!

·
Registered
61 Posts
I bought the factory pare tire kit from Amazon a couple weeks ago. I'm still looking for the best deal on a tire. I'll prob get it from Tire Rack then have it popped on at the Midas down the street from my house.

For haha's I asked the dealer what it would cost to have them get the tire and throw it on the rim.... $110.. for a tire that a $56 on Tire Rack.

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
Thanks, by the looks of it, much cheaper than here!
A base Elantra SE M/T starts at $18,010 or R191,689 while a fully-loaded Limited tops out at $25,210 or R268,322, more with accessories.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts