Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Hyundai Kona Ultimate
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I didn’t receive much of an answer when I asked Hyundai USA where the additional 26 hp came from in the 2017 Elantra Sport. While it looks like the same 1.6 Turbo engine as in the other Hyundai models (like my 2016 Tucson), it produces 201 hp, while all the others are rated at 175 hp? They just plain ignored my question! (Maybe they don’t know themselves!). The head mechanic at my dealership though it might be as simple as a different mapping of the engine control module, or as complex as a reworking of the throttle body or other engine change. Then again, they might have just purposely understated the actual hp figure in the earlier engines (not likely). Either way, I’d sure like to know the real answer and I really like to have those 26 extra ponies!!!

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
I didn’t receive much of an answer when I asked Hyundai USA where the additional 26 hp came from in the 2017 Elantra Sport. While it looks like the same 1.6 Turbo engine as in the other Hyundai models (like my 2016 Tucson), it produces 201 hp, while all the others are rated at 175 hp? They just plain ignored my question! (Maybe they don’t know themselves!). The head mechanic at my dealership though it might be as simple as a different mapping of the engine control module, or as complex as a reworking of the throttle body or other engine change. Then again, they might have just purposely understated the actual hp figure in the earlier engines (not likely). Either way, I’d sure like to know the real answer and I really like to have those 26 extra ponies!!!
Same here

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Isn't this the same 1.6T used in the Veloster Turbo? 201HP in the Veloster, too. And your mechanic is probably right, mapping. And maybe some exhaust/intake differences. In a SUV you want more low end torque. Sporty stuff you want to wind out and keep the torque higher in the RPM band for faster throttle response, especially with the turbo.

·
Registered
113 Posts
probebly different mape,in the eu market we have diesel engine 1.7 crdi but one is producing 117ps /260nm torque and another 141ps/320 torque.I bougt whit 117 and after 2weeks whent to dealer where thay whit simple chip raise my car to 140ps

·
Registered
4,668 Posts
They probably map them to suit the quality of fuel sold in different countries. I know Mitsubishi did that with their Evo's.
There's probably a few engine changes as mentioned like exhaust etc.
Also agree with the comment comparing the Veloster which is also a lighter car and serves a different purpose.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
~175hp 1.6T for heavier Tucson/Sonata.... started as an ECO option for MPG.

~201hp for lighter smaller Elantra/Veloster... marketed more for sport/GT/enthusiasts....

Lighter vehicle will have less cooling strain on the radiator/intercooler....

The intercooler on the Sonata/Tucson heat soaks too quickly neutering power even some more. 300-500lbs of bloat along with option AWD weight can be taxing.

The Veloster guys already dynoed 87 vs 93 showing 25hp difference at the wheels. With Veloster LSPI an issue for a while prior to ECU updates, one can only be happy with the 25hp worth of insurance the detuned Sonata/Tucson 1.6T have.

So, its definitely in the ECU tuning along with the ability for the cooling system to shed heat. No point in a bazillion HP if the radiator/intercooler.... can't shed 175hp worth of heat already. Enjoy your neutered HP and regular fuel. That is what the cheapies in the market wanted.

https://www.k5optimastore.com/products/lap3-performance-tune
https://www.aemintakes.com/search/product.aspx?prod=21-783C
https://www.aemintakes.com/search/product.aspx?prod=26-3002C
1.6 TGDi Turbo Water Pump Pulley - Shark Racing
https://www.sxthelement.com/Intercooler-Resonator-Delete-Pipe-p/02-01-102.htm

The veloster forums dyno tested the delete pipe and it was worth 10hp+. So, if the Tucson has one, and the AEM deletes it, then you know where the extra power comes from, but is way cheaper to replace the turbo's intake/muffler with a cheap piece of pipe.

http://www.hyundai-forums.com/lf-2015-sonata-i45/502705-injen-intake-1-6t-eco.html
http://www.hyundai-forums.com/lf-2015-sonata-i45/499513-secondary-cat-delete-wow.html

BTW, you are responsible for your "own" mods and any damage caused by them. Legality is another issue in communiststates of America. So, enjoy your "offroad" mods and save your old parts in case you have to revert back for visual or emissions testing.

Ignore the naysayers. They are happy with hohum and simply target "modders" for no reason other than being boring sheeple. I don't follow the Pied Piper like so many members here. I also live in a state where there are no emissions testing or inspections.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Easier than you think. Stock engines have so much power potential it is child's play to get 25% more hp. Turbo - the boost is so mild on a standard engine, you can just turn a pressure knob, compression, loosen up the intake & exhaust, adjust via firmware timing and fuel delivery. But that comes with a price in drivability, noise and robustness.
The power band becomes more inverted V shaped and driver has to shift gears a lot.
Good for boy-racer but not so for soccer-mom.
In my days with the 90's Japanese TT, stock 300ish hp can be tuned to 500 easily.

Compare Civic type R: 306hp from 2L = 153hp/L unmodified. Not even exotic.
Matching that ratio, a 1.6L turbo can make 245hp stock.

·
Registered
4,668 Posts
Yes and many manufacturers have very good security on their software and any up in boost produces codes and limp mode. Yes I agree the more boost you can give an engine with added fuel in the right ratio the more power it will produce because it's a simple heat pump but the later the car the bigger headache trying to overcome the obstacles. Detonation being the limit for a petrol engine. As manufacturers strive to meet (VW excepted) emission demands and keep production costs low they do tune conservatively for their own safety sake but the mind boggling array of bolt on advertised big power gain parts is mind blowing. Their brand name is on the top race cars so no matter what the price or promise it must be good.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Notice I said stock unmodified, not even exotic.
Ford Focus EcoBoost engine makes 123hp per Liter stock.
An everyday economy car.
If Hyundai needed to up the hp on the said 1.6T to remain competitive, it is not hard to do.
Maybe a few more blown out engines and shorter service life - meh, trade-offs.
A little more exotic - Porsche 911 T makes 196 hp per Liter.

·
Registered
13,351 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Do you know any satisfying profanity?!
Aren't they all?

Bore at home, on break. So I read the Car and Driver review of OP's Elantra Sport.
Wheee, the right to have a "Sports" emblem will cost $4500 usd more than the standard Elantra.
For that much $, Hyundai had to do more than just fancy wheels and paint stripe.
Civic-R can still mop the floor with it. :)

·
Registered
4,668 Posts
Question for dadop.
Your statements
before chiptuning my car spent 7.1 liter per 100km,after chip drop to 5.9 liters on 100km.When iam going to dealer i just disconect chip and nobody knows that it was on car.
no,maybe in Australia but in Croatia we go do the dealer.
i paid my chip 350us $
If the dealer did the programing why do you have to "disconnect things when you take it back so nobody knows that it was on the car? "
You make as much sense as your claims.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I bought the car from the main distrubutor in HR and thay gave me 5years free servise on my car,every 30000km change oil,filters exc,but didnt install chip at theme but in another Hyundai servise,also authorized servise.If something happens whit motor or turbo it will be main fault,because of that i didnt whant to remap just chip it.Tucson 1.7 comes whit two options,117 ps and 141ps,same engine,same turbo,intake,exaust,brakes exc,just different map.And price,iam super satisfied how car accelerates,now its a different car,i put chip when car had 5000km now car haves 40000km,no problem what so ever

·
Registered
219 Posts
Good news! I just take my Tucson to local performance test on my ECU and it possible to gain 26 horsepower and they looked at my Tucson Engine Bay everything looks much same Veloster Turbo. They will contact me when they are ready and I will practice possible push to 250 HP and 300 TQ >:D

1 - 20 of 28 Posts