Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...2002 Accent L 1.5L SOHC motor and manual transaxle. They're good, but my car is totaled and I want to find a recipient car to put them into.

Looking at a 2001 GL (5-door, not 3) with a bad tranny and a tired motor for the new home.

Possible? Few mods, or a big-time hassle?

Any ideas?

-Smokey

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
hassle depends on your point of view i think. if you enjoy swapping engines, i wouldn't call that hassle.

you have a working engine and transaxle...selling it on craigslist or kijiiji might be a thought. even on these forums we have a for sale section.

if you want to swap grab every part you can such as the mounts, cat, etc. for mods on the 1.5L the only one that would be worthwhile while it is out is head porting. you can do it by hand if you have the right tools, do a bit of goolge searching. its not that hard, but still potential to trash the head. you'll also have to put a new headgasket and head bolts into it when you're done. also, don't expect huge gains. this is a 1.5L we're talking about here.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you zero,

No I'm not interested in modding the engine. What I meant was, how much would I have to hack up a 2001 Accent GL (it being a 5 door, and mine being a 3 door) in order to place my engine/trans in the 2001. Did they even originally come with a 1.5 and a standard gearbox?

The one I'm looking at is specifically an automatic version, and has the 1.6 in it. I'm under the impression my 1.5 with the 5-spd, will pretty much just drop in as long as I use my computer, and obviously route the linkage for the clutch and shifter out of my totaled car into it, but I just wanted to make sure.

The 2001 GL was standardly equipped with a 1.5 and a 5-spd correct? Was it the same 1.5 and 5-spd? Are there key differences in the manufacturing of the 5-spd car versus the automatic? (i.e is there already a provision for mounting the clutch pedal and routing shift linkage, maybe with the removal of a block-off plate or something, or was the automatic car actually manufactured differently?)

I need a car after totaling this one, and aside from another 2002 Accent L 3-door, I want to know the other cars I can buy and not have to fabricate much.

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
yeah a swap like that will go very smoothly. yes those cars had the option for both 1.5L and 1.6L as well as manual or automatic. i believe they are even interchangeable.

the only things i see as being a problem are you will have to transfer over the old engine mounts (not so bad is it?) which as far as i know should bolt right up, and then the ECU/wiring....

ECU is an easy swap. its the wiring that bothers me. hyundai has this strange habit back then of changing their wiring every year. changes are minor, but there.

i would start by pulling up schematics for the pinout of both ECU's on www.hmaservice.com and seeing if they match. if they do, give it a try. if not, you may have to swap wiring or make some modifications.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts